PDA

View Full Version : Iphone lockdown!

dartingd
09-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Apple has lost my vote. I read online at google news that they are going to be updated the Iphones soon. The update will lock down any Ipod that has been hacked, making them "no more than a $400.00 paper-weight". I think this is ridiculous. If I pay $400.00 for something like a phone, I have the right to do whatever I please with it I would think. Thoughts on this?

Doppelgänger
09-26-2007, 08:11 AM
fuck apple....

but in the same sense, all these people paying top dollar for the Ismudge shit are retarded too. But yes, when you buy something, it should be ALL yours. Like the PS3... having to buy updates/parts of games and shit... fuck that, if i buy something, its mine. If i *want* to update it, then i will...and if i dont, thats my choice.

koukis14
09-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Does it force the update on you?

Mike Lowrey
09-26-2007, 08:36 AM
eh, people were stupid to pay for the ifagphone anyway. Mine does the same shit, and no worries about this BS.

Nemesis
09-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Apple has lost my vote. I read online at google news that they are going to be updated the Iphones soon. The update will lock down any Ipod that has been hacked, making them "no more than a $400.00 paper-weight". I think this is ridiculous. If I pay $400.00 for something like a phone, I have the right to do whatever I please with it I would think. Thoughts on this?

In a perfect world I would agree, but we live in a world with Open Source and Proprietary. Apple is not Open Source.

XLR8NMR2
09-26-2007, 08:46 AM
i phones are trash

dartingd
09-26-2007, 08:51 AM
to my understanding they may force the update on you...that will cause some lawsuits...can you say class action? not saying they'll win, but still...

apex
09-26-2007, 09:13 AM
fundamentally what they are doing is right, they are just protecting there relationship w/ their exclusive carrier att. att paid apple good money to have the exclusivity.

osiriskidd
09-26-2007, 09:15 AM
sucks for whoever jumped the bandwagon and bought another apple piece of shit. the only thing useful that apple has created was the ipod. and thats still overpriced and at times extremely shitty.

i still <3 my 30gb

man
09-26-2007, 10:43 AM
In a perfect world I would agree, but we live in a world with Open Source and Proprietary. Apple is not Open Source.

At that point your getting in to the difference between personal use and distribution though. You have the right to alter anything you own as long as it is for personal use.

Nemesis
09-26-2007, 10:52 AM
At that point your getting in to the difference between personal use and distribution though. You have the right to alter anything you own as long as it is for personal use.

I see your point, but personal use is fine, just dont expect them to support it! That's the whole point, if you buy software or hardware and break any seals or alter them in any way other than how it was meant to perform, you VOID any warranty and right to service. Its obvious. So if you unlock an Iphone and call Apple for service because something isnt working correctly, thats like asking them to support something that was altered beyond the means of standard operation. It makes no sense. And if any updates cause your Iphone to not work, it isnt their problem.

Where I work (RedHat), we support a CSB (Corporate Standard Build) for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. If you alter or root your own machine to change anything on the system, we wont support any problems that arrise from doing so. Not because we dont want to, but we waste our times trying to solve the problems that were created by the user, and not enough times on the problems from people that dont alter their software.

Nemesis
09-26-2007, 10:56 AM
sucks for whoever jumped the bandwagon and bought another apple piece of shit. the only thing useful that apple has created was the ipod. and thats still overpriced and at times extremely shitty.

i still <3 my 30gb

If you hate Apples firmware, do what I did and install the open source RockBox. RockBox allows you to play FLAC and many other extensions with a much more powerful interface. Google it.

man
09-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I see your point, but personal use is fine, just dont expect them to support it! That's the whole point, if you buy software or hardware and break any seals or alter them in any way other than how it was meant to perform, you VOID any warranty and right to service. Its obvious. So if you unlock an Iphone and call Apple for service because something isnt working correctly, thats like asking them to support something that was altered beyond the means of standard operation. It makes no sense. And if any updates cause your Iphone to not work, it isnt their problem.

Where I work (RedHat), we support a CSB (Corporate Standard Build) for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. If you alter or root your own machine to change anything on the system, we wont support any problems that arrise from doing so. Not because we dont want to, but we waste our times trying to solve the problems that were created by the user, and not enough times on the problems from people that dont alter their software.

100% right on the warranty and right to service (everyone that unlocked them should know this anyway) But making the phone unusable can't possibly be legal. Unless it was in the terms and conditions statement. I wouldn't know because I would never spend that kind of money on a phone.

dartingd
09-26-2007, 11:29 AM
^^ya..apple is purposefully creating the update to disable the unlocked ones...this is where i would think they're gonna get sued...class action from 1000 or so people for 600 each or however much money they are each...chump change to them...

man
09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
^^ya..apple is purposefully creating the update to disable the unlocked ones...this is where i would think they're gonna get sued...class action from 1000 or so people for 600 each or however much money they are each...chump change to them...

I bet it will be more than $600 each, especially if this breaks any laws.

BuBBa DRiFT
09-26-2007, 02:53 PM
its just a hoax, apple wouldnt do that to their reputation, even though AT$T is begging them to. They knew full well this would happen eventually. Even with the nerds hacking it, they are still making a killing.

Vteckidd
09-26-2007, 02:56 PM
its like selling illegal or hacked versions of Windows or MSDOS back in the day. or downloading MP3s for free

its piracy in a different form. welcome to the technology age.

Vteckidd
09-26-2007, 02:58 PM
I doubt it will happen though, because there are TONS of unlocked phones circulating. Eventually the Iphone will be out of date an lose its appeal when something new or better comes out.

they made their money, im sure this is just to scare people into

A) Switching to AT&T/Cingular to use the iphone
B) Scare people to not hack an sell the phones

man
09-26-2007, 03:13 PM
its like selling illegal or hacked versions of Windows or MSDOS back in the day. or downloading MP3s for free

its piracy in a different form. welcome to the technology age.

exactly, but they can't just lock all hacked phones. They can only prosecute the guys who sold hacked ones.

osiriskidd
09-26-2007, 03:15 PM
If you hate Apples firmware, do what I did and install the open source RockBox. RockBox allows you to play FLAC and many other extensions with a much more powerful interface. Google it.

you are FTW!
and btw if i choose too can i uinstall the rockbox firmware like say if i was going to resell the ipod?

osnap
09-26-2007, 03:17 PM
There is a lot of misinformation floating around in here. heres the scoop.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/24/apple-iphone-unlockers-will-end-up-with-ibricks/

Vteckidd
09-26-2007, 03:27 PM
^^^^ thanks for clearing that up.

So basically if you have a UNLOCKED HACKEDIPHONE, you cant do software updates and you void the warranty on the phone

Nemesis
09-26-2007, 03:40 PM
you are FTW!
and btw if i choose too can i uinstall the rockbox firmware like say if i was going to resell the ipod?

haha thanks man. Yeah your old firmware should still be in there, I cant find it right now, but there is a button sequence to regain your old look back.

JConner
09-26-2007, 05:28 PM
dosent matter to me, mine is activated through at&t. It would be stupid to activate it through anyone else, t-mobile dosent support the 'visual voicemail' and a few other features that it has.

Nemesis
09-26-2007, 05:46 PM
dosent matter to me, mine is activated through at&t. It would be stupid to activate it through anyone else, t-mobile dosent support the 'visual voicemail' and a few other features that it has.

People are hurt because...

A- They dont have AT&T

or

B- They dont have the money for an i-Phone.

and/or

C- They are in denial.

man
09-26-2007, 06:09 PM

C- They are in denial.

Explain...

JConner
09-26-2007, 06:20 PM

A- They dont have AT&T

or

and/or

C- They are in denial.

hhah yep

i paid $200 to get out of my nextel contract, and it was money well spent.

dartingd
09-26-2007, 07:45 PM
lol^^^ i use w/e phone i get free, so no worries...

dartingd
09-26-2007, 07:46 PM
lol...come to think of it, my last few "nice" phones were hand-me-downs from friends who have money, lol....hahaha i'm poor!

JConner
09-26-2007, 07:51 PM
lol...come to think of it, my last few "nice" phones were hand-me-downs from friends who have money, lol....hahaha i'm poor!

haha when i got my iphone i handed my 3 month old 60 gig ipod video to my roomate and said merry Christmas.....so I am one of those friends ;)

Nismo
09-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Damn it people are dumb, dont hit the update button simple as that, or download the 1.0.2 firmware. The new firmware is going to be 1.1.1 and its starting to ship already. Just back it up or download the 1.0.2 so when the new one comes out just flash it to the 1.0.2 and move on. The update is getting you the itunes music store which is a pretty gay update IMO

Nemesis
09-26-2007, 07:52 PM
haha when i got my iphone i handed my 3 month old 60 gig ipod video to my roomate and said merry Christmas.....so I am one of those friends ;)

dude you look really familiar. I lived in Conyers for about 9 years. Do you know Mousa, Ricky, and some other folks?

ep9716
09-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Dont Update.....And If You Have To.....Then Wait 2 Or 3 Months For A Downgrader.

JConner
09-26-2007, 08:04 PM
dude you look really familiar. I lived in Conyers for about 9 years. Do you know Mousa, Ricky, and some other folks?

we both used to hang out in the movie theater parking lot in conyers on the weekends YEARS ago haha. I know Mousa and Jaye Tyroff who had the red cougar, i had a black 03 Eclipse Spyder when I knew you with your green cougar.

Mike Lowrey
09-27-2007, 06:46 AM

A- They dont have AT&T

or

and/or

C- They are in denial.

D - Not hurt because my phone is better :goodjob: