PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Prelude down....for the count?

absolude
07-20-2005, 11:48 AM
If anyone is reading this thread- I just need to know the name of a good diagnostic shop where I can send my Prelude.
I was driving the other day, and she just died. No shaking, no rumbling, no noise- she just turned off. I pulled over, and sat for a minute and tried to re-start. I could hear all the sounds I normally hear when trying to start up, but it would not actually start. Initially, it seemed to be the distributor. I replaced it, to no avail. The next thing to come up was the timing belt.
Anywho- I don't want to do any more guesswork. I just need to know the name of a good shop that can tell me exactly what the problem is, and I can go from there.

The Yousef
07-20-2005, 12:27 PM
how many miles do you have on the lude? if it has been over like 70K and you haven't had your timing belt changed...then that is most likely happened....

yousef

ILLSMOKEu
07-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Take to Balance performance they now what they doin, i belive its like 65$ for diagnostic.Good luck

absolude
07-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Tanx guys for the quick responses. You don't happen to know the phone number for that place do you?
My prelude has 186000k miles. I am sure that it has never been changed before, although I acquired it at 160,000. So with the timing belt snapping, and with the prelude being an interference engine (right?) with 0 clearance, I am looking forward to a complete rebuild, right? All of the research I have done shows that I have a fairly high chance of sustaining substantial engine damage.

93H22ACX
07-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Import Soruce Performance... 770-586-0964
ask for peter

Vteckidd
07-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Tanx guys for the quick responses. You don't happen to know the phone number for that place do you?
My prelude has 186000k miles. I am sure that it has never been changed before, although I acquired it at 160,000. So with the timing belt snapping, and with the prelude being an interference engine (right?) with 0 clearance, I am looking forward to a complete rebuild, right? All of the research I have done shows that I have a fairly high chance of sustaining substantial engine damage.
CALL IMPORT SOURCE PERFORMANCE

they are the GA H/F series gurus. ask for peter, hes knows what hes doing and he wont rape you. Ill trust his opinion over anyone elses (besides my own :) )

770-586-0964

EDIT: although yes its an interference motor, and there may have been valve to piston or valve to valve contact, on a stock motor, depending on what rpm you were at, you might be fine. i have seen motors snap belts and come out fine.

depends what happens, take it to peter, hell let you know whats going on

absolude
07-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks again- I was cruising at about fifty mph in fourth gear. Couldn't have been much more than three thousand rpms.....

Vteckidd
07-21-2005, 09:28 AM
call Import Source Performance man, he'll take care of you.

Elbow
07-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Could it be a ignition switch? Our Accord died going like 55 just shut right off.

absolude
07-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Lol, definitely not the ignition switch. I wish... I had it taken to my regular mechanic actually, and he told me yesterday that it was the timing belt. He told me about 20 minutes ago that the damage is non-repairable. So the Prelude Curse strikes again... RIP Jessica...

Jehu
07-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Replace the timing belt (and the front main seal and water pump) and do a compression test. That will cost less than 100 and you'd obviously need it anyway.

Then if you do have damage, just have it fixed. It's not that expensive. Ask Tommy. Britt had valve damage and it wasn't that expensive.

Of course, you could always go the H22 route...

Vteckidd
07-29-2005, 12:32 PM
and i do have an H22 Swap for sale *winkwink

The Yousef
07-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Of course, you could always go the H22 route...

i second that motion....:)

dz N.U.T.Z.
07-30-2005, 04:52 PM
H22 powa bitches. That's what you need. Buy it.

brittoknee
07-30-2005, 11:26 PM
ditto

Fast Shadow
07-31-2005, 02:42 AM
If anyone is reading this thread- I just need to know the name of a good diagnostic shop where I can send my Prelude.
I was driving the other day, and she just died. No shaking, no rumbling, no noise- she just turned off. I pulled over, and sat for a minute and tried to re-start. I could hear all the sounds I normally hear when trying to start up, but it would not actually start. Initially, it seemed to be the distributor. I replaced it, to no avail. The next thing to come up was the timing belt.
Anywho- I don't want to do any more guesswork. I just need to know the name of a good shop that can tell me exactly what the problem is, and I can go from there.

Alan Cox Automotive in Marietta.

Jehu
07-31-2005, 10:11 AM
You know that TICC will be there to help if you need/want it. We've been there done that a few times so let us know!

absolude
08-16-2005, 10:10 AM
i second that motion....:)
or I could scrap that and go the f20c route... :D

brittoknee
08-16-2005, 10:15 PM
BLING