PDA

View Full Version : truck driver

AnTi-PooN
09-20-2007, 08:53 PM
i wanna get my cdl and drive rigs for a nice career. i'm thinking that driving a cement truck or something of that nature would be a good startup since i'm only 19 and you can't do out of state until you are 21. Also i don't want to go straight from a honda to a big rig. if anyone has any connections i'd like to get with a company that can put me in the right direction and give me some work.:goodjob:

RUFFIAN
09-23-2007, 10:36 PM
I've been driving trucks for 10 years. A good place to start is a concrete company. This is how I started. If you can drive a mixer you can drive anything. They will train you and you can make decent cash( 35-40k )

quickdodgeŽ
09-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Only thing I can disagree with is driving a mixer defining you being able to drive anything. But if you can drive an 18 wheeler across the country and maneuver through traffic and park it straight into docks that are only 60' long for a 53' truck at a 45 degree angle, THEN you can drive anything. But either way, CDL isn't isn't job and damn good money. Don't let the ignorant people steer you into thinking this isn't but for only white trash folks. Later, QD.

Blitanicle99
09-25-2007, 05:55 PM
QD, arent you a truck driver? Or maybe I read wrong in one post?

8bangin302
09-25-2007, 06:44 PM
i give it up to them truckers,mad skillz,my stepdad used to drive for a company down here a while back(18 wheeler),i went on a trip with him a few times when i could, i know i could never drive one of those,its amazing to me how they do it.. i def dont F**k wit em on the roads cause i know 4 wheelers can do stupid s**t and bad things will happen,ive seen it,so i give props to truckers.Gl on what ur trying to do man,be safe and have fun..

quickdodgeŽ
09-25-2007, 07:33 PM
QD, arent you a truck driver? Or maybe I read wrong in one post?

Yessir. I drive one for a living. Later, QD.

JDMJAYDC2
09-25-2007, 08:13 PM
im in school right now learning and cant wait to start i aint gonna lie QD is who made me want to pursue it

RUFFIAN
09-25-2007, 11:02 PM
The reason I said that is when you are driving a VERY top-heavy truck through bad traffic with a liquid load sloshing around behind you and the threat of 33 and 1/2 tons threatening to crash down on you if one to many ass holes decides to pull out in front of you. I've got a Class A and blind side docking is a bitch but when you are driving cross country you have got time to chill;)

redgst97
09-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Try driving from LA to Portland in a 53" footer...the "Grapevine" is a LOT of fun,....especially when the brakes fail...

quickdodgeŽ
09-26-2007, 06:42 AM
The reason I said that is when you are driving a VERY top-heavy truck through bad traffic with a liquid load sloshing around behind you and the threat of 33 and 1/2 tons threatening to crash down on you if one to many ass holes decides to pull out in front of you. I've got a Class A and blind side docking is a bitch but when you are driving cross country you have got time to chill;)

I wouldn't think of knocking anything that requires a Class A license, but I pull 40 tons worth of shit daily that has a huge chance for rollover. I pull reefer units and not cross country. I deal with 285, 85, 75 traffic every day. Later, QD.

koukis14
09-26-2007, 08:03 AM
What our have to wory aout is the retards getting $2 an hour loading your trailer wrong. Load shift is a bitch. I have seen many a truck go over from that. Good luck you can make some good money and see the country. I though about doing it before.

JDMJAYDC2
09-26-2007, 03:08 PM
yeah im hoping to go cross country for the first year then try and stay kinda local after that or just do regional work i just want school to be over so i can start

AnTi-PooN
09-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't think of knocking anything that requires a Class A license, but I pull 40 tons worth of shit daily that has a huge chance for rollover. I pull reefer units and not cross country. I deal with 285, 85, 75 traffic every day. Later, QD.

im sorry lol

thanx guys for the help i really think i wanna make a career out of it. and i never cut in front of trucks like people do cuz they are going "slower" cuz it takes alot to stop all that shit

Chuckster
11-23-2007, 07:23 AM
So this truck driving school, how long does it take? Where did you get your cdl. Do truck companys offer cdl training? Is there one better then another?

I did a quick search on getting a CDL. Noticed that there are companys that offer some kinda of paid training to get your cdl. Only company I can think of that I searched was P.A.M.

hydroshutter
11-23-2007, 12:31 PM
i give it up to them truckers,mad skillz,my stepdad used to drive for a company down here a while back(18 wheeler),i went on a trip with him a few times when i could, i know i could never drive one of those,its amazing to me how they do it.. i def dont F**k wit em on the roads cause i know 4 wheelers can do stupid s**t and bad things will happen,ive seen it,so i give props to truckers.Gl on what ur trying to do man,be safe and have fun..

Hate to steer this thread off topic, but I find it hilarious that girl on your signature's husband now drives a Corvette :lmfao:

Ok, back on topic.

khailon
11-23-2007, 02:20 PM
is it hard to get a cdl

IronEagle
11-23-2007, 04:39 PM
It is no picnic. If it was that easy you'd have girl scouts doing it. That is what the driver of the LotuSport rig used to say to me when I worked for and traveled with the 4 Lotus X180R racecars.

You have a ton of liabilty (crash into a minivan and hurt someone and you are looking at a million dollars out of pocket for your insurance company), and it is on the top 5 list of most dangerous occupations IIRC.

quickdodgeŽ
11-23-2007, 04:53 PM
It is no picnic.

It wasn't hard at all. At least to me. Later, QD.

Halonemojsrat
06-10-2008, 03:57 PM
is it hard to get a cdl

nope u just drive a truck around a city without mking mistakes ...my mom and dad got theres

Scotsman
06-10-2008, 04:06 PM
i dock 42' ers all day at my work , i work at a steel warehouse , most avg load is 40xxxlbs , i'll be apply'in for my CDL in july , if you can drive a stick and have a strong left leg(lol) and can manhandle smaller "civillian" trailors , it is easy , just in a very larger scale

MistaCee
06-10-2008, 04:10 PM
My dads a trucker. Only trucker I don't hear crying right now is QD.

Scotsman
06-10-2008, 04:11 PM
pvt truckers are hurtin right now ( gas) if you work for a big company you are good

MistaCee
06-10-2008, 04:13 PM
pvt truckers are hurtin right now ( gas) if you work for a big company you are good

Thats true... But the big money is/was in private trucking.

Scotsman
06-10-2008, 04:15 PM
WAS being the key word

MistaCee
06-10-2008, 04:17 PM
WAS being the key word

Yessir!

Scotsman
06-10-2008, 04:19 PM
we have drivers comin from all aspects of the US to drop off stock , some independant(which are hurtin) and others contracted (who dont care cuz the company pays)

MistaCee
06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
we have drivers comin from all aspects of the US to drop off stock , some independant(which are hurtin) and others contracted (who dont care cuz the company pays)

To me it seems like brokers want to drive the independent truckers out of business, which means more company trucks.

Scotsman
06-10-2008, 04:27 PM
we had drivers that had 20 + yrs at my company , and they shhit canned em to bring in a temp company

B_Hoov
06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
i have my class A and can't seem to find work either, got mine on my own and borrowed a close friends rig for the test

Scotsman
06-10-2008, 04:55 PM
i have my class A and can't seem to find work either, got mine on my own and borrowed a close friends rig for the testpick up a paper , all i see is cdl drivers wanted