PDA

View Full Version : Misc Computer Boot times (nerds only)

man
09-19-2007, 06:46 PM
How long do your computers take to reboot, I just realized how quick mine actually is. State whether it's pc or mac.

PC here
I just did a full restart, including closing open programs (trillian, firefox, and PS CS3) I logged in and then fully booted (all background and start-up programs done loading) in under a minute, my steering wheel used about 15 of that to align itself (boot stops for some reason when it does that). Holy shit.

an0therh22
09-19-2007, 06:48 PM
i don't know the exact time, but i have a mac and it reboots in under a minute too.

wantboost
09-19-2007, 06:49 PM
it depends i have 6 computers at home, the fastest one i clocked at 42 seconds. and i am not talking about ones that you just made. (those boot the fastest)

Kyle
09-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Used to be real fast easily under a minute. But every now and then when I go to start it again it doesnt fully boot up, so I cant open anything, but I see the main page. WTF, nerds what shall I do.

man
09-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Used to be real fast easily under a minute. But every now and then when I go to start it again it doesnt fully boot up, so I cant open anything, but I see the main page. WTF, nerds what shall I do.

Mac right? Just put it in sleep.

man
09-19-2007, 06:53 PM
it depends i have 6 computers at home, the fastest one i clocked at 42 seconds. and i am not talking about ones that you just made. (those boot the fastest)

Me either I only have 10gigs left on my hard drive, hell I still run a GeForce 6800 in mine.

an0therh22
09-19-2007, 06:55 PM
would there be any difference if you ever turn the computer off if you have a mac? say i left it in sleep all the time and never rebooted it would it be the same?

wantboost
09-19-2007, 06:55 PM
the 6800 ultra?

Kyle
09-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Yeah it's a mac. It performs fine if I just let it sleep, but if I do that it gets hot as hell when I'm carrying it from class to class. So I have to turn it off a lot.

man
09-19-2007, 07:02 PM
the 6800 ultra?

No, just the 256mb PCI-E 6800

would there be any difference if you ever turn the computer off if you have a mac? say i left it in sleep all the time and never rebooted it would it be the same?

From what I've heard you can do that for more than 6months with no slowdown.

fivex684
09-20-2007, 12:36 PM
About 90 seconds.
Opteron 170 @ 2.6 Ghz, 2 gig's and Nvidia 7950 GT thats the important stuff.

lilmanx01
09-20-2007, 12:48 PM
usually mine is under a minute too.. however QUESTION, my computer just messed up last night and no longer boots up all the way.. I get the ASUS screen...and right when the windows XP logo is suppose to come up it goes blank... im tryin to hit safe mode but it wont allow it. ne ideas? and no i dont want to reformat, its a pain

ep9716
09-20-2007, 04:57 PM
The system configuration utility is accessible by selecting Start > Run > Type “msconfig” then press enter. Now you can control how you want windows to start. To begin, select the BOOT.INI tab. I won’t go into the details about tweaking all of the options as there are downsides to some. But one option that can be changed with very little downside is the Timeout. The timeout box allows time for an OS loader to give choices to the user. Usually this is for selecting a recovery console or for a dual boot system. In any case, the timeout is the number of seconds that windows will display the message. So setting the timeout to 30 means that the message will be displayed 30 seconds. So if it is set on 30 now and we switch it to 3 seconds, which is ample time to press a key on the keyboard for most users. And we cut our boot time by 27 seconds.

lilmanx01
09-20-2007, 10:25 PM
however i cant even make it to the desktop.. so i couldnt even get to the "start-->run." i cant even make it to the XP splash screen that has the bars running across at the bottom

Joelow30071
09-20-2007, 11:20 PM
however i cant even make it to the desktop.. so i couldnt even get to the "start-->run." i cant even make it to the XP splash screen that has the bars running across at the bottom Do you have XP pro or home? Let's hope that your windows on your computer is "geuine" and not boot legged. If it is geuine, you in luck, since you probably have the windows cd that came with computer. Boot the computer from the cd, and there is a repair ulility on the CD, that will restore the master boot file. Without the master boot file, you computer will not load to with Windows XP logo part. It probabaly got deleted somehow. Try it, better than nothing. GOOD LUCK!!!:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Here is a article I found which goes in more in depth:
Insert the Windows XP CD in your drive. Reboot the computerhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/1.gif (http://forums.techguy.org/#) and press "del" (or whatever key combo gets you in) to enter the BIOS setup. Look for the boot order of your drives (usually under Advanced Settings). Change the order so that the CD drive is the first boot device. Save and exit.

As the machine reboots this time it will find a bootable CD and prompt you to press any key to boot from the CD. Press a key. XP setup will now start to load - takes a little time before it requires input from you.

Once setup is ready it will prompt you to press 'R' to enter the recoveryhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif (http://forums.techguy.org/#) console or 'Enter' to continue installing Windows. We don't want the Repair Console here so just press Enter. Setup will then prompt you to accept the EULA by pressing F8. Press F8.

The next screen will show you the partition[s] available and will inform you that Windows is installed (usually on the C: drive). At this screen you will have an option to press 'R' to repair the current installation. Press 'R' and setup will then take over and do the necessary work.

Joelow30071
09-20-2007, 11:29 PM
My computer is pretty fast at loading up. Mainly because I have set to "quick boot" and my computer has the option to bypass the BIOS info most computers have to display prior loading Windows. It will load under a minute, with a "cold boot." But more often than not, I will put the computer in "stand by" mode, which saves time. Because when the computer is in stand by, all you have to do is press the power button on the computer, and will automatically your take you to your login screen or your desktop. Saves me about 40 secs, by not having to start the computer from a "cold start." The funny part is that I only have one stick 256 RAM on my computer with a ASUS motherboard and a INTEL cpu. Just imagaine how fast it would if I were to put in a 1 GIG of RAM running on dual channel. LOL. :lmfao: Anyways happy surfing. :D

bigdare23
09-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Mine boots pretty quick. I remove alot of the start up processes and that help a bunch!

Joelow30071
09-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Mine boots pretty quick. I remove alot of the start up processes and that help a bunch! I use startup inspector:goodjob: (www.windowsstartup.com/) program, to remove any unnecessary programs from loading up, when windows start.

_Christian_
09-21-2007, 12:21 AM
my pc takes about 3-4 minutes. lol. too much pr0n i guess.

SixSquared
09-21-2007, 06:03 AM
Now I'm actually curious to find out just how fast this goes.... all I know is my iMac is pretty fuckin fast. :D

ep9716
09-21-2007, 06:52 PM
I Boot Like In 30 Secs...Less Maybe..

wantboost
09-21-2007, 11:04 PM
shut down and reboot. not just the boot.