PDA

View Full Version : Those who have Automotive Industry Jobs

bluuuurr
09-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Just out of curiousity, I'd like to know what you do, how you got started, and what kind of salary you make.. I have a couple years of experience in the aftermarket industry now (sales), but I'm not making what I'd like to, just curious what else is out there.

I'll start it off I guess, I work retail for Summit Racing in McDonough, I have an entry level job so I didn't need any prior experience, I'm making a little less than 10 dollars an hour with no commission (ouch).

burke420
09-20-2007, 12:59 PM
well if you like cars, call up the discount tire tomorrow in stockbridge... my friend ddavid works there, i work in douglasville. and i love my job.. fun enviroment. starting salary rought 35K a year.. and paid vacation, exployee charge acct. full health. and cost on tires... call him tomorrow.. he a couple exits down from Summitt... tell him i mentioned the job to you on ImportAtlanta... i'm stephen...

burke420
09-20-2007, 12:59 PM
im a tire tech and i make $11.50 or so...

KPowerEP3
09-20-2007, 02:41 PM
well if you like cars, call up the discount tire tomorrow in stockbridge... my friend ddavid works there, i work in douglasville. and i love my job.. fun enviroment. starting salary rought 35K a year.. and paid vacation, exployee charge acct. full health. and cost on tires... call him tomorrow.. he a couple exits down from Summitt... tell him i mentioned the job to you on ImportAtlanta... i'm stephen...

I would jump all over that, but I hate tires. Loading/unloading trucks full of them and delivering them will do that to ya.

dickdragon
09-20-2007, 04:04 PM
im a tire tech and i make $11.50 or so...

how does $11.50=35k a yr

JDM onlyy
09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
bonuses I suppose?

JDM onlyy
09-20-2007, 04:12 PM

I would so do this, and I live really near by. Its something I want to do, only problem is that I don't think they'll hire me because my license is suspended.... :(

burke420
09-20-2007, 08:29 PM
how does $11.50=35k a yr
im just a Tire Tech... if you start off full-time... you start at 35K a yr....

burke420
09-20-2007, 08:31 PM
I would so do this, and I live really near by. Its something I want to do, only problem is that I don't think they'll hire me because my license is suspended.... :(
as long as you wont have a problem in getting to and from work... you'd be fine.. we dont do a DMV check before hiring.. or at least that i know of... they didnt do one to me.. and it was full of tickets for random crap.... holla t the store to at least try... just look and be professional when you try and get a job app. there

Ruststang
09-23-2007, 11:13 PM
im a detailer and i make 10.50 a commission hour and i make about 20 commission hours in an 8 hour work day. i'm happy with my current pay. Kinda sad i pay in taxes what i was making before with my 10.50 an hour job lol

2rotor
09-24-2007, 07:18 PM
first, i went to technical school to learn very little over what i had already taught myself, but i needed the training to help job placement. now I work in roswell, at a german car repair shop. it's an independent shop and im the 5th member of the 'crew.' $13.50/hr on a 45 hr/week salary as an 'apprentice'. ive been at this job for a little over 6 months now,
when i finally start making 40-50+ hours a week, ill be moved to comission and probably another slight pay raise off the bat. part of the reason i dont average more than 20 hours a week is the fact that the bigger fish in the shop need more to survive, so they get first dibs.

im a detailer and i make 10.50 a commission hour and i make about 20 commission hours in an 8 hour work day. i'm happy with my current pay. Kinda sad i pay in taxes what i was making before with my 10.50 an hour job lol

you should start your own mobile detailing business, if you're good/fast, there is BIG money in it.

green91
09-24-2007, 07:51 PM
What would you be starting into, car sales, parts, line tech ..? your position & experience will LARGELY determine what you could make going into somewhere. Ive worked in toyota dealers for 3+ yrs now so ive got a pretty good idea of how it works, i went from a lube tech to now being a master toyota technician.. so ive been across the pay spectrum

EmminoDaGreat
09-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Went to school, got certified in all fields, components of a vehicle. Make salary. + side work out the ass...

Vuongy_Dong
09-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Being a mechanic is hard labor IMO. I do this part time on the side. after spending about $25k in snap on tools and other equipments in less than a year, its not fun. luckily i dont do this full time. (make pretty good money doing this part time tho) Getting dirty, chemicals on your hands, it gets old. Tools and knowledge is the number 1 thing you need to make good money anywhere. These days, dealership likes to see what tools you have and that tells them about how knowlegable you are. (dumb IMO)

green91
09-25-2007, 06:54 AM
I dunno about that man, every dealer i work at havent seen my tools until i was in the door. its all about certifications + experience on paper. Just because of my level of certs i can walk into any dealer even if i dont have experience with their models and be on the upper pay level

Ruststang
09-30-2007, 05:41 PM
first, i went to technical school to learn very little over what i had already taught myself, but i needed the training to help job placement. now I work in roswell, at a german car repair shop. it's an independent shop and im the 5th member of the 'crew.' $13.50/hr on a 45 hr/week salary as an 'apprentice'. ive been at this job for a little over 6 months now,
when i finally start making 40-50+ hours a week, ill be moved to comission and probably another slight pay raise off the bat. part of the reason i dont average more than 20 hours a week is the fact that the bigger fish in the shop need more to survive, so they get first dibs.

you should start your own mobile detailing business, if you're good/fast, there is BIG money in it.

I would have but i dont want to risk it while im going to school i know i could make about 180 a car if i was a mobile detailer. I want to play it safe and get my degree to go into management.

green91
09-30-2007, 08:35 PM
if you decide to go into a mechanic position, dont waste your time at an independant.. its very hard to make moeny with them typically unless youre in a high up position. stick with a dealer and get some certs on paper.

Jigoku Z
10-06-2007, 10:59 AM
If you have other opinion then I would suggest you do something else... Automotive retail is not too bad. But being a tech is hard labor like Voung said. I went to tech school for two years, my first job was at a Volvo dealership then at a Honda dealership for a year. I left both jobs because I didn't make enough money. Now I work at a Mercedes dealership making more money... but still a pain in the ass at times.