PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Performance vs Sound

EM1toEVO
09-16-2007, 01:02 PM
It seems like these days most everyone has jumped off the "big stereo bandwagon"(myself included) and on to modding their cars for performance. I had several high end stereos in my previous cars. I felt that my evo with the modest ssl pkg(weak Infinity components) was sufficient enough to satisfy me aurally. Now, I would rather spend my money on performance and looks. It seems like most people put stereos in their cars only for shows, nowadays. Do you think that stereos will come back to their previous popularity? I kinda feel that today's crappy music reflects this trend. Will stereos ever come back in style?

man
09-16-2007, 01:07 PM
I don't like wasting money on heavy expensive audio for my car, I'd rather get heavy expensive audio for my house.

Echonova
09-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Eh? My stereo only needs to be loud enough for me to hear. My focus is more toward sound quality rather than db's. Sittting at a light with your music blaring so people three blocks away can hear isn't cool, doesn't make you look cool and advertises to the world you've got something to steal (and shitty taste in music).

OneSlow5pt0
09-16-2007, 01:11 PM
yep,only thing iv done........is in my old RX-7,i put in a panasonic headunit(cause mazda radio didnt have a cd player)and i put new sony speakers in the sturt towersand doors,cause old ones were crappy

SloWRX
09-16-2007, 01:33 PM
fuck sound?

Julio
09-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Sound quality still has its fan.. just not as much as before...

Now Shitty bass and ratling will never go out of style ...

ep9716
09-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Ratling FTL....

JITB
09-16-2007, 01:42 PM
i just want my 94 to sound as clear and as nice as an 08.... and im happy.

Ie; nice components and a 8-10" sub and im happy.

_Christian_
09-16-2007, 01:44 PM
a few years back i used to be switching up systems in my car all the time. i was really into it and had some REALLY loud stuff. now i dont really care about that crap anymore either. now i have a 12" sub now and thats it, and it's always turned way down. i dont care to beat down the block anymore, i just want a little bit of bass for me to hear and no one else. SQ>SPL

S II K
09-16-2007, 01:56 PM
haha yeah like the faggots that put speakers behind their grills.
thats the gayest shit ever, not to mention a waste of money.
i rather spend my shit on performance and just have a nice headunit and door speakers.

EM1toEVO
09-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I've always been SQ over SPL even in the old days. I can't stand rattling either.

Evil Goat
09-16-2007, 05:53 PM
give me factory or give me nothing.....speed is where its always been for me

Double_0_Rusty
09-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Let's see....in my truck I have two diamond 10's behind the seats, and the newest Alpine head unit, I have 500w mono amp to them, and it's not that loud. I dont want performace out of my truck. so I put a system in it.

However, in the Civic I have an older Alpine head unit, Diamond Audio 6.5's in the doors, and Diamond 6x9's in the rear, and 2 sets of tweets, factory one's in the doors, and a set in the A/C vents. No subs, just loud enough to hear. I would rather spend money on performance.

EM1toEVO
09-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Sorry guys. Must have been more appropriate in this section than whoreslounge.

BuBBa DRiFT
09-17-2007, 01:06 AM
yep,only thing iv done........is in my old RX-7,i put in a panasonic headunit(cause mazda radio didnt have a cd player)and i put new sony speakers in the sturt towersand doors,cause old ones were crappy

my buddy had replaced all his speakers in his rex with pioneer stuff, with that infinity dual sub, his car sounded soo good. i was mad jealous. they are very acoustic for 20 year old hatchbacks

Stormhammer
09-17-2007, 04:48 AM
for me I just have a Sony Xplod ( came with the car ) and 6x8 components with an 8" sub and I'm hunky dory. You can still blast the shit out of it when you need to.

DinanM3atl
09-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Never will it go away completely...

Don't know if it will come back to its height but there are still shops and new ones open and prosper. Someone is making money doing it.

EM1toEVO
09-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I know that Hi Fi Buys, here in Athens, just closed recently. They used to do A LOT of car audio.

OneSlow5pt0
09-18-2007, 12:40 PM
for me I just have a Sony Xplod ( came with the car ) and 6x8 components with an 8" sub and I'm hunky dory. You can still blast the shit out of it when you need to.

thats what i had in my 7...they sounded pretty good for what they are

Tinton
09-18-2007, 12:45 PM
All I want in my car is a CD player, and decent sound quality for bass and treble. Thing is, my car came stock with only AM/FM/cassette and no sub so it sounds like ass right now. I'm going to put in a 8" or 10" sub, a mono amp, some decent dash/pillar speakers and a Sony cd-player and I'll be done.

Jaimecbr900
09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Problem is two fold: Cheap people and people that have no clue what SQ is.

See, most people don't understand that SQ is more than just loud ass bass in your car. Now-a-days every ying yang puts a few 15's and some cheap ass amp in their car and THINK it's the bomb. It is the bomb.....a shitty bomb.

People like that don't appreciate what it takes to get a good sound out of their music. They're only interested in one thing, DB's. That's it. Very one dimensional. Fine if that's what you want. It's actually very easy and cheap to make any car pound. The formula has been the same forever. Big subs, big amp, and there you go. Anybody can have bass that sounds like shit. No problem at all.

Most don't understand or care to understand that install is just about as important as the equipment you choose. If you have a hack shade tree job, it's going to sound like a hack job even if you have decent equipment. If you have a clean install, your equipment will work as good as it's designed.

Personally, I'd rather hear a good sounding system than I'd rather hear pounding bass. It may be cool the first time you show it off to your numb skull buddies, but after that it gets old to hear that damn tag and trunk lid rattling. Newsflash folks, that sounds like shit no matter who you are. It's NOT cool or badass. It's gay.

BTW, you can have both performance and sound if you really want to. ;)

Deke
09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Performance is sound. Nothing better than a good sounding engine and a sweet exhaust note :)

EM1toEVO
09-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Performance is sound. Nothing better than a good sounding engine and a sweet exhaust note :)

Great post! I agree.

Cato ED-6
09-18-2007, 07:18 PM

^^Agreed:goodjob:

But then again I don't mind changing the channel to something different. I like music in my car, I just don't want a huge system that weighs down my car. I'm running an ok headunit with 2 good quailty door speakers.

You can always hit pause, rev your engine, and just listen to the notes.:D