PDA

View Full Version : Are blackouts illegal??

madking411
09-15-2007, 09:18 PM
for the turn signal lights?? i THINK...that they're legal for tail lights, as long as you can still see them when you turn on the tails or step on the brakes...

But, i was kinda thinkin about blackin out my turn signals...:???:
Is it legal or not?

(BTW, im not askin if i should do it, im askin whether or not its legal....)

puregroove
09-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Hmm...I'm curious about that too... If they're legal for tail lights, I would think they're legal for front signals as well, because they're are turn signals in the rear, too.

Clegger
09-16-2007, 12:00 AM
anything that prevents another driver from knowing which direction you are turning is illegal.... fronts backs sides mirrors

madking411
09-16-2007, 12:02 AM
anything that prevents another driver from knowing which direction you are turning is illegal.... fronts backs sides mirrors

but what if the other drivers, etc. can still see which direction ur turnin...?

puregroove
09-16-2007, 12:06 AM
then it just might be okay::: :goodjob: let us know if you get pulled over... :D

WhiteAccord
09-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Then Thats There Fucking Fault... My Shit Is Blakced Out To The Max... Never Been Pulled Over...

Clegger
09-16-2007, 12:11 AM
that sucks cause my car is blacked out to the max as you can see below and I get pulled over ALL.... THE....TIME at any mph 0-speeding

madking411
09-16-2007, 12:12 AM
then it just might be okay::: :goodjob: let us know if you get pulled over... :D

Hahhh, well, i had blackout tail lights on my old corolla, and there was ONE time when i had a cop trail me for a good 2 miles and after turning through 2 or 3 intersections, and scare the CRAP outta me...

So. it ALMOST happened once.....but that was with blacked tails...im talkin about blackin the front turn signals.

Bruce Leroy
09-16-2007, 12:48 AM
My friend black out the signals on his 5 series. You can still see the light when the signal is on so i guess its legal

8bangin302
09-16-2007, 01:15 AM
my bro has blacked out headlights and tails on his mustang including his turns and he hasnt been pulled over for it,and theres been plenty of cops behind him...

SL65AMG
09-16-2007, 10:14 AM
my bro has blacked out headlights and tails on his mustang including his turns and he hasnt been pulled over for it,and theres been plenty of cops behind him...
im not too hot for mustangs but that shit is bad!!! :goodjob:

korilee13
09-16-2007, 08:23 PM
if you're checking into it, see if the company's website usually if its illegal it'll say, check local laws before purchasing. or if it doesnt e-mail them and see what they say.

KevinT707
09-17-2007, 12:05 AM
I've been rocking blacked out tail lights for awhile now & I've never been pulled over for them (my reverse lights are still white though).

speedminded
09-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Any modifying of a DOT approved product (ie lights on automobiles) is illegal ;)

Taillights must be visible 500 feet away...
40-8-23. Taillights

(a) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured prior to January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with at least one taillight mounted on the rear, which when lighted as required in this article shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.

(b) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured after January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with two taillights which meet the specifications provided in this Code section.

Brake lights and turn signals must be visible front and rear 300 feet away in daylight and at night...
40-8-25. Brake lights and turn signals required

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1954, including any motorcycle or motor driven cycle manufactured after January 1, 1954, in this state or for any person to drive such vehicle on the highways unless it is equipped with at least one brake light meeting the requirements of Code Section 40-8-26.

(b) If a motor vehicle is manufactured with two brake lights, both must be operational.

(c) No person shall sell or offer for sale or operate on the highways any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1954, unless it is equipped with mechanical or electrical turn signals meeting the requirements of Code Section 40-8-26. This subsection shall not apply to any motorcycle or motor driven cycle manufactured prior to January 1, 1972.

40-8-26. Standards for brake lights and signal devices

(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped and when required under this article shall be equipped with the following signal lights or devices:

(1) A brake light on the rear which shall emit a red light and which shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake and which may but need not be incorporated with a taillight; and

(2) A light or lights or mechanical signal device capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left and which shall be visible from both the front and the rear.

(b) Every brake light shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of 300 feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime, and every signal light or lights indicating intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of 300 feet from both the front and the rear. When a vehicle is equipped with a brake light or other signal lights, such light or lights shall at all times be maintained in good working condition. No brake light or signal light shall project a glaring or dazzling light.

(c) All mechanical signal devices shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times mentioned in Code Section 40-8-20.

(d) All lenses on brake lights and signal devices shall be maintained in good repair and shall meet manufacturers' specifications.

81911SC
09-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Damn good info from Speedminded. He always has top-notch info.

BuBBa DRiFT
09-17-2007, 12:51 AM
although its technically legal, i dont recommend driving black, it usually winds up in a bad situation.

speedminded
09-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Damn good info from Speedminded. He always has top-notch info.You gotta know the laws in order to know your limits and how far you can push them ;) Plus I like to know who is right and wrong if i'm ever harassed.

81911SC
09-17-2007, 12:58 AM
You gotta know the laws in order to know your limits and how far you can push them ;) Plus I like to know who is right and wrong if i'm ever harassed.
I am the exact same way. Can you find any info on carrying nightsticks in your vehicle or at all?

BuBBa DRiFT
09-17-2007, 01:03 AM
melee weapons a should be legal, and if they arent, get a huge wrench, works the same way.

speedminded
09-17-2007, 01:04 AM
I am the exact same way. Can you find any info on carrying nightsticks in your vehicle or at all?Think laws have changed on concealed weapons, might take a while to find but i'll look...i prefer a torque wrench ;)

mushroom_toy
09-17-2007, 01:59 AM
My shits blacked out too. You can see light through it fine!

korilee13
09-17-2007, 04:53 PM
I am the exact same way. Can you find any info on carrying nightsticks in your vehicle or at all?

i know when i was arrested, they asked if i had any weapons in my vehicle, i told them i had a bat, they said i was perfectly legal to carry that. so be creative with your weapon choice, and you could prolly get away with alot

speedminded
09-17-2007, 05:23 PM
i know when i was arrested, they asked if i had any weapons in my vehicle, i told them i had a bat, they said i was perfectly legal to carry that. so be creative with your weapon choice, and you could prolly get away with alotUpper half of an aluminum race jack handle...it's got the grip to hold it and everything :yes:

iEvo
09-17-2007, 05:48 PM
no turn signals mean ticket

korilee13
09-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Upper half of an aluminum race jack handle...it's got the grip to hold it and everything :yes:

see thats what i'm talkin bout you gotta think folks, not just grab something labeled as a weapon, your asking for trouble and questions with that kind shit.
only thing i would chnge about that is i wouldnt crry aluminum, thas too light, grab some old fshioned steel if your wnna fuck somebody up good...

madking411
09-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Actually, even a SKATEBOARD could work as a weapon...its sorta like havin a bat with nails stickin outta the end that you hit people with...

speedminded
09-17-2007, 10:07 PM
see thats what i'm talkin bout you gotta think folks, not just grab something labeled as a weapon, your asking for trouble and questions with that kind shit.
only thing i would chnge about that is i wouldnt crry aluminum, thas too light, grab some old fshioned steel if your wnna fuck somebody up good...Lighter just means quicker...might not have the momentum or brute force of steel but i'd rather be able to move it twice as fast and have plenty of stamina in reserve. The idea is train with the heavier object and use a lighter one in the real world...kinda like alot of the professional motorcycle riders i've met will run goldwings up in the mtns on weekends, play up in the hills on a 1,200lb bike scraping the foot boards and exhaust, then a day or two later show up to the track on a 350-400lb bike with slicks ;)

hondaxpurt
09-18-2007, 01:06 AM
in response to the original topic: a friend of mine just got ticketed and fined 400 bucks for having tinted taillights and headlights. he is trying to fight it in court, i will let you know what happens

speedminded
09-18-2007, 08:04 AM
in response to the original topic: a friend of mine just got ticketed and fined 400 bucks for having tinted taillights and headlights. he is trying to fight it in court, i will let you know what happensWhat is he to fight? He's modifying an object that's been inspected and approved by the DOT for it's function, once you change something on it the object is no longer federally legal. Car manufacturers and aftermarket companies pay alot of money and go through tons of paperwork to get each and every object approved for that little DOT stamp, just like the UL Listing on anything you own that's electrical or battery operated.

There's only a few cars with legally tinted/smoked taillights, from certain editions of the Beretta back in the day to the 99-01 Saab 9-5's. If someone wants to send off a set that's been tinted and probably spend $20,000 getting it tested and inspected in a lab by the DOT then go for it ;)

1000cckiller
09-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Then Thats There Fucking Fault... My Shit Is Blakced Out To The Max... Never Been Pulled Over...Maybe not now but you will. When I had my civic, I was pulled over by a state trooper for that and got a $250.00 ticket

Kevykev
09-18-2007, 08:21 AM
What is he to fight? He's modifying an object that's been inspected and approved by the DOT for it's function, once you change something on it the object is no longer federally legal. Car manufacturers and aftermarket companies pay alot of money and go through tons of paperwork to get each and every object approved for that little DOT stamp, just like the UL Listing on anything you own that's electrical or battery operated.

There's only a few cars with legally tinted/smoked taillights, from certain editions of the Beretta back in the day to the 99-01 Saab 9-5's. If someone wants to send off a set that's been tinted and probably spend $20,000 getting it tested and inspected in a lab by the DOT then go for it ;)

Summed it all up there! :goodjob:

deathrex
09-19-2007, 12:51 AM
I dont remember where i saw it but its an actual tint that you put over your tail lights cut out and specific to model that looks damn good and dosent randomly come off. Its actually dot approved because it allows enough light to be emitted through to be seen at the distances required by law. and if u get pulled over u can just take it off before court and be like i dont know what ur talking about then put it back on afterwards.

xlilvi3tx
09-19-2007, 04:32 AM
i don't think its illegal as long as they can see you but i might be wrong lol i guess just tint it lightly

COGCaviZ24
09-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Actually, even a SKATEBOARD could work as a weapon...its sorta like havin a bat with nails stickin outta the end that you hit people with...

LOL yup, my brother went to jail for beating a guy down with a skateboard. the dude was big and had a role of quarters, so my brother thought he would even the odds.

when i had tinted tails, i got pulled over and warned about them. mine were really dark though

Mr. Clean
09-19-2007, 07:04 AM
federales are a-holes... if they claim they can't see your tail lights from 500 feet or that they are too dim, guess who will win that one. i also didnt see anything about color of turn signal, but i got pulled over for having white led turns a loooong time ago.
:police:=douchebags

speedminded
09-19-2007, 07:43 AM
federales are a-holes... if they claim they can't see your tail lights from 500 feet or that they are too dim, guess who will win that one. i also didnt see anything about color of turn signal, but i got pulled over for having white led turns a loooong time ago.
:police:=douchebagsIt's a specific color spectrum each light has to be within, clear or white is only legal on turn signals or taillights if the appropriate colored bulb is in it.

40-8-34. Color in lighting equipment

The color in all lighting equipment covered in this title shall be in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Standard J578, April, 1965, as thereafter revised or amended.

Mr. Clean
09-19-2007, 09:00 AM
It's a specific color spectrum each light has to be within, clear or white is only legal on turn signals or taillights if the appropriate colored bulb is in it.

man your like a certified paralegal and shit... i feel like i need to pay you

speedminded
09-19-2007, 09:35 AM
man your like a certified paralegal and shit... i feel like i need to pay youlol, like I always say...gotta know the laws to know your limits.

That will be $29.99 per post plus applicable taxes & fees, thanks. :D

an0therh22
09-19-2007, 11:35 AM
lol, like I always say...gotta know the laws to know your limits.

That will be $29.99 per post plus applicable taxes & fees, thanks. :Dhaha IAs very own legal advisor. :goodjob:

quickdodgeŽ
09-19-2007, 11:42 AM
but i might be wrong

You usually are. Later, QD.

Cato ED-6
09-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Weapons: Don't carry any firearms unless you're certified(and if you are, hand the card over with your license when you're pulled over) and don't carry any blades.

Personally I don't carry any weapons, all I carry are tools. One big lug wrench and a big adjustable wrench, both that sit behind my seat for easy reaching. Who needs a heavy bat?

Tint law: I have darkly tinted tail lights and you can see the light perfectly. I've had cops behind me and nothing happened. As far as turn signals go, I'd just have them so people can see where your going without a single doubt. And they need to be clear or amber.

Why would you want to tint your turn signals anyway?

madking411
09-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Why would you want to tint your turn signals anyway?

I'd tell you, but i'd probably be called rice, and FLAMED like crazy from everyone else on here...:ninja:

DeeAOne
09-19-2007, 05:04 PM
my buddy blacked out his front turn signals on his ranger. it made them red though. it looks pretty mean.

madking411
09-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Soo, if i were to blak the amber turn sigs., they'd end up showing in RED?

AnthonyF
09-19-2007, 07:21 PM
i think some of the tinting should be illegal, espically the GTO headlight covers. I think that is dangerous as hell. Most of the "tuners" have tint but it is nicely done and u can still see the light.

an0therh22
09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
i don't think its illegal as long as they can see you but i might be wrong lol i guess just tint it lightly

You usually are. Later, QD.

kind of harsh QD. but none the less. :smileowne

quickdodgeŽ
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Weapons: Don't carry any firearms unless you're certified(and if you are, hand the card over with your license when you're pulled over) and don't carry any blades.

Wrong. I had my handgun for a year before I finally got my GFL and was pulled over a few times and nothing was ever said to me.

Tint law: I have darkly tinted tail lights and you can see the light perfectly. I've had cops behind me and nothing happened. As far as turn signals go, I'd just have them so people can see where your going without a single doubt. And they need to be clear or amber.

Just because you haven't been said anything to about your lights doesn't make it legal. And also, turn signals, legally, are supposed to be amber. Not clear. Later, QD.

speedminded
09-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Wrong. I had my handgun for a year before I finally got my GFL and was pulled over a few times and nothing was ever said to me.

Just because you haven't been said anything to about your lights doesn't make it legal. And also, turn signals, legally, are supposed to be amber. Not clear. Later, QD.Amber or red lense or clear lense with an amber or red bulb. How many times have you seen a white stop sign? It's red because it's a warning you of something...

Clear lights in the rear at night make me want to ram into the car so i can see :tongue:

quickdodgeŽ
09-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Amber or red lense or clear lense with an amber or red bulb. How many times have you seen a white stop sign? It's red because it's a warning you of something...

Clear lights in the rear at night make me want to ram into the car so i can see :tongue:

I agree. I was speaking about the traditional amber lensed turn signals. I didn't even think about the brake lights that double as signals, also. But the guy was referring to having clear turn signals. That's not so. It has to amber(or red, lolol). Later, QD.

BamzRexsi90
09-28-2007, 07:36 AM
aslong as they are amber when they light up your str8

SPOOLIN
09-28-2007, 09:35 AM
password sells tinted ones for hondas, you can have a nice tinted look and still be clearly visible.