PDA

View Full Version : I need some opinions for school!

HIgH_ScHoOL
09-12-2007, 07:44 PM
So I am taking a Sociology class at school. I want some outside opinions and what better place?! I am pretty sure my professor is a Feminist and/or a lesbian. Her discussions seem to be very biased.

One in particular we've been talking about what the "family" does for society and how it is shaped by it. From that comes Marriage... Now her main point is "Men benefit more from being married, then women"

Her reasonings are: Men are healthier when married, have less car accidents, drink less, basically are less likely to get into trouble.

This was in her power point:
1. Married women are less happy than single women.
2. Married men live longer than single men.

Agree? Disagree? I am looking for the other side, YES there is research but where is it from the other side? Discuss....

Tracy
09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
The one thing I hate about the whole marriage situation is that it is customary for the man to be in charge of whether or not it happens.

Other than that, I'm not quite sure what you are asking. There is no way for me to dispute what has been said, since statistics are statistics if, in fact, these are true statistics she speaks of. In other words, statistics aren't an opinion.

*edit* I guess I see the question now. Do we think men benefit more than women from marriage? Yes?

SLOWLYbtngU
09-12-2007, 07:49 PM
HAha..I am a Sociology major.

Where do u go to school? I am at GSU.

Did she also tackle the sex fact too???

Honestly I kinda wanna know what it is YOU think...You think she is wrong somewhat at least..But why?

HIgH_ScHoOL
09-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I am not saying she is wrong, because she is speaking from statistics. BUT she doesnt speak about how women benefit from being married!

All she says is "women are happier unmarried" so why should a women get married?!
How do women benefit from being married? There are reasons but maybe they arent researched...?

So yes Tracey my question is how do yall think women benefit from being married?

Edit* I got to KSU

Quattro Kid
09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
IMO, marriage is totally for the WOMEN, b.c women then have the security that they have their man (by the genitalia in a glass case on the mantel of the fireplace), its so they don't have to worry about breaking up with them for a hotter piece of ass, although w. the divorce rate being what it is marriage is basically hardcore dating now

men were made to "spread the seed", marriage is so the seed says in one garden

81911SC
09-12-2007, 07:59 PM
That's the only way they can make that bank.

Quattro Kid
09-12-2007, 08:00 PM
hells yea and that shit too

Tracy
09-12-2007, 08:02 PM
First of all, everyone benefits in our society from marriage for tax and insurance purposes. Women "benefit" from marriage in the old fashioned sense in that they traditionally my not have to work. I think that's less true with our generation. i know I would benefit from marriage simply for peace of mind. I think women look for security in men, not just monetarily but for monogamy purposes. Women, from my experience being a woman and having female friend discussions, seem to be more into relationships than a lot of men. I think this is shaped partially by how our society has been groomed over the years and it just carries over to each generation. That being said, women of today are a lot more independent...now that we have rights...and that may be why your teacher seems to think that women are less happy once they get married. Maybe women feel empowered by independence and feel bogged down once they get married and have to take care of children and do family things. Even in today's times, women are the primary care givers of their children. I can see how a woman can get used to doing her thing, maybe be in a power position at work, but she is expected to give that up to stay home with the children.

AnthonyF
09-12-2007, 08:09 PM
depends on the relationship. by most relationships standards...Women do most of the house work. So it is a little less stressful on the male. Also he doesnt have to worry about getting a date anymore, less stress getting dressed for the weekends, etc...

Women live a shorter life then men when married? only when the man comes home early unexpected. lol

HIgH_ScHoOL
09-12-2007, 08:11 PM
First of all, everyone benefits in our society from marriage for tax and insurance purposes. Women "benefit" from marriage in the old fashioned sense in that they traditionally my not have to work. I think that's less true with our generation. i know I would benefit from marriage simply for peace of mind. I think women look for security in men, not just monetarily but for monogamy purposes. Women, from my experience being a woman and having female friend discussions, seem to be more into relationships than a lot of men. I think this is shaped partially by how our society has been groomed over the years and it just carries over to each generation. That being said, women of today are a lot more independent...now that we have rights...and that may be why your teacher seems to think that women are less happy once they get married. Maybe women feel empowered by independence and feel bogged down once they get married and have to take care of children and do family things. Even in today's times, women are the primary care givers of their children. I can see how a woman can get used to doing her thing, maybe be in a power position at work, but she is expected to give that up to stay home with the children.

Makes sense. She just wont go here, she wont say, "I know women benefit from marriage... BUT here are the statistics of how men benefit..."

No discussion what so ever of the other side! She cuts discussions short when the guys in the class start getting into it.

AnthonyF
09-12-2007, 08:14 PM
She cuts discussions short when the guys in the class start getting into it.

then stab her

Tracy
09-12-2007, 08:15 PM

adding to this:

There are lots of women who do have jobs and families. I think women carry most of the family duties burden and work at the same time. The women still cook, clean, bathe the kids, do laundry, etc. Men come home, want dinner, don't want to hear the kids and want to drink a beer. You're lucky if you find a good man who might take the trash out once and a while and actually do the yard himself and not hire someone to do it. Other than that, the mans traditional duties haven't changed much. Women's roles, however, have changed in that they are now expected to have a job and still carry on traditional home duties.

VegetaRules
09-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Well as a newlywed, I'll chime in. Now for the healthier statistics, that could be because since traditionally women cook, they moreso monitor the diet. My wife annoys the hell out of me anytime she see's me drinking a soda. Her reasoning... " I'm not going to be pushing you around in a wheelchair, because the calcium in your bones is deteriorated". lol

Now the woman "benifits", from yes monogmy issue, & security issue monitarily. She's usualy the one who picks everything from the house, to the cars( My wife will not let me get an EVO, nor SRT-4, nor a Civic. LMAO".

Now men on the surface may appear to be happy, but being married is kinda like "blissfulhell". At times you do hate it, but then it could be worse, is the theory. Now these are my own opinion, & not to turn into a man vs women thing.

Georgia is a total womens state, & that to me should more than say women are more happy married than men. I mean we haven't even gotten into kids & the " it's cheaper to keep her" anthem known by many men. lol

Getting a divorce with kids can equal ZERO dollars for men & geez....Wait.... I'M MARRIED. SHOOT ME NOW!! lmao.....Vegeta

Tracy
09-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Makes sense. She just wont go here, she wont say, "I know women benefit from marriage... BUT here are the statistics of how men benefit..."

No discussion what so ever of the other side! She cuts discussions short when the guys in the class start getting into it.

Tell that bitch to get in the kitchen and cook you a pie (awww that made me think of VAL...RIP).

81911SC
09-12-2007, 08:17 PM
So Tracy thinks their just in it for money right?

HIgH_ScHoOL
09-12-2007, 08:18 PM
adding to this:

There are lots of women who do have jobs and families. I think women carry most of the family duties burden and work at the same time. The women still cook, clean, bathe the kids, do laundry, etc. Men come home, want dinner, don't want to hear the kids and want to drink a beer. You're lucky if you find a good man who might take the trash out once and a while and actually do the yard himself and not hire someone to do it. Other than that, the mans traditional duties haven't changed much. Women's roles, however, have changed in that they are now expected to have a job and still carry on traditional home duties.

This is true also.

Not to be cocky but I think I am a "good find" is maybe why I have a harder time understanding the old fashion dinner on the table type of guy!

VegetaRules
09-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Oh yeah, being a homemaker IS A REAL JOB!! I will NEVER take or discredit women who do that. That can be a truely grueling & stressful job.:goodjob: Tho I'd prefer my wife to work.....Vegeta

Tracy
09-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Not to be cocky but I think I am a "good find" is maybe why I have a harder time understanding this...

Dan is a pretty good find, IMO. He has put up with my shit for 7 years and most people wouldn't do that for 1 second :D.

That being said, he doesn't take the trash out, he doesn't do the yard, he doesn't cook or clean......I do all of that and work. I'm a little nervous of what will be expected of me once and if we have kids. I would totally benefit from marriage, like I already mentioned, for security purposes. I an a one man woman. I want kids. I want the whole pretty picture. The only way for me to do that is to get married. Mind you, once I get married I may be miserable because I no longer have the freedoms I once had before marriage and a lot more will be expected of me responsibility wise. I feel like Dan is my responsibility and we aren't even married yet.

yudalicious
09-12-2007, 08:34 PM
God I hate feminists, they are the ones who cry and complain the most, yet do nothing solid for the advancement of women in society, except become lesbians. Ask her where she got those statistics, how the different studies were conducted, when they were conducted and how the researchers arrived at their reasoning, basically as much about the studies as you can then begin to scrutinize each. Studies results can be easily compiled or interpreted in a particular way and just because one study result suggests something, doesn't mean it is necessarily the universal truth. Personally I have a sneaky feeling that what she says has its basis, but that doesn't mean you can't argue just to annoy her, look at it as a training in debate and critical analysis.

After a quick search, I found this, interesting.
http://www.city-journal.org/html/10_4_why_marriage_is.html
Both women and men benefit from less violent encounters. Both married men and women live longer, although the difference is smaller with women. Both men and women make much more income while married.

Hulud
09-12-2007, 08:43 PM
yup, she's a muff diver

Blitanicle99
09-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Weird I am also in a Socialogy Class at GA Southern...
First your prof is a Dike.
Second, shes full of it.

Ran
09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
God I hate feminists, they are the ones who cry and complain the most, yet do nothing solid for the advancement of women in society, except become lesbians.Look at it this way, at least they can't pro-create. :D

I've nothing wrong with women seeking equal treatment. It's the over-zealous b*tches that get on a podium and make an over-exaggerated scene that make it hard to take the honest ones seriously.

That being said, I am a guy that believes in traditional settings. A strong, hardworking man provides for his wife and children by providing for them, while the wife cares for the home and children. Maybe I have a control issue but, should I get married, I'd prefer a timid, loving, caring housewife. If that makes me an overbearing jack@ss with no respect for women's rights, then so be it.

Leadfoot_mf
09-13-2007, 03:19 PM
but see is wrong cause nobody is happy in marriage. sure they say they are but i dont buy it. maybe 20% or less are truly happy by happy i mean both parties.

and think what ever you want tracy in more than 80% marriages the woman are in control. if they weren't i would not have a job.

how many guys look at a kitchen and go gee i need new cabinets and granite counter tops?

Men remodel their houses out of necessity women do it for god knows why.

But I think both parties gain from marriage = but for different reasons.

itsjustdee
09-13-2007, 03:51 PM
I heard this topic on Q100 before..........

Tracy
09-13-2007, 04:28 PM
and think what ever you want tracy in more than 80% marriages the woman are in control. if they weren't i would not have a job.

how many guys look at a kitchen and go gee i need new cabinets and granite counter tops?

Men remodel their houses out of necessity women do it for god knows why.

Women only have control over the pussy. Men can't live without that...so they let women have a certain amount of control.

Ran
09-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Women only have control over the pussy. Men can't live without that...so they let women have a certain amount of control.Or we could simply chain them down, provide enough nourishment to keep them alive and take what we want when we want. That or put them through enough humiliation and degradation so that their will to resist, disobey, or even live without command is eventually broken. :dunno: Just a thought. ;)

I'm getting hungry.

Tracy
09-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Or we could simply chain them down, provide enough nourishment to keep them alive and take what we want when we want. That or put them through enough humiliation and degradation so that their will to resist, disobey, or even live without command is eventually broken. :dunno: Just a thought. ;)

I'm getting hungry.

Wow! Does your sweet woman know about your sadistic thoughts? :D

yudalicious
09-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Or we could simply chain them down, provide enough nourishment to keep them alive and take what we want when we want. That or put them through enough humiliation and degradation so that their will to resist, disobey, or even live without command is eventually broken. :dunno: Just a thought. ;) .
too much hentai!

I'm getting hungry.
tell that bish to go in the kitchen and make a sammich.

Tinton
09-14-2007, 03:38 AM
What professor you got? I go to KSU too, just took a Sociology course over the summer.

And she's wrong, marriage is a institution that primarily benefits women. Men are actually meant to "spread the seed" and have many partners, monogamous relationships benefit women a lot more, since every guy they sleep with carries much more responsibility (about 9 months worth and more). Women end up getting most of the benefits out of marriage, and even if men wanted out they have a disadvantage in divorce court, in most cases the woman gets half of the man's stuff, and many pre-nups can be thrown out. Women also get custody over kids most of the time.

If anything its MEN that are happier unmarried. Men, from what I've seen, don't have the same pressures to have kids and stuff like women do. They also don't have a ticking biological clock running against them....for women, they're most attractive when they're younger, so as time goes by the push towards finding a stable partner gets stronger. For men, its not the same, because women don't really go for looks. They go for a wallet or power or a personality instead. So the clock isn't working against men, if anything they can grow more attractive over time as they build up their net worth.

Ran
09-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Wow! Does your sweet woman know about your sadistic thoughts? :DI don't think so. It's something that I'll keep bottled up inside my head until one day the stress from life and the pressure from keeping it inside finally overwhelm me and I act on my maniacal fantasies. Somebody will more than likely die a very slow, grotesque death around that time as well. Then I'll snap out of it, realize what I've done and proceed to splatter my own brains against the wall. It's a promising future. :goodjob:

too much hentai!Nah, I actually haven't seen any in a good while. I've been exploring some other graphic depictions though. I found a new fascination. Also, the books Apocalypse Culture by Adam Parfrey and The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum have kept me very entertained for the past while. :yes: