PDA

View Full Version : sub box question

THEONE
09-12-2007, 11:53 AM
i cant remeber what the box style was called but im trying to find info on how to build one. orion cobalt subs use to come in them.
basically its a vented box and the sub sits inside and is completly enclosed the sub kind of sits to one side more than the other.if anyone knows what im talkin about and has info on specs to build one for a 10inch sub let me know....thanks

2TONETTFD
09-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Ban Pass box. :) they work verry well

THEONE
09-12-2007, 03:32 PM
its not a bandpass,this one is kind of like a box shaped bass tube only the sub is mounted inside the box more toward one side and the magnet side faces the larger side with the small slotted port. from what i rember this was the tightest sounding ported box ive ever heard,they have to be made because the box is built around the sub.

j225
09-12-2007, 09:50 PM
bandpass boxes are not that good for hard hiting bass

THEONE
09-13-2007, 09:31 AM
bandpass boxes are not that good for hard hiting bass

bandpass boxes are way to sloppy for me,sure they are loud but still take so much away from what the music should actually sound like.

the box im talking about was used alot back in 1996 and 1997 it was a great design but alot of people wanted to see thier subs to show them off so i guess it faded away. again its not a freakin bandpass box it is vented and the sub is completly sealed inside and the sub fires the long way in the box and is held inside by a divider so one side fires toward a complety sealed side and the other toward the vented side.and this box is for a single sub

hybrid90accord
09-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Bandpass boxes just like ABC boxes can sound good but have to be custom built and tuned to the sub and 90% you see online are universal so they suck. Im no fan of bandpass but i have heard a few on teh car audio circuit that were custom built and sound killer. Those Orion XTR bandpass boxes were pretty nice and got pretty deep

THEONE
09-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Bandpass boxes just like ABC boxes can sound good but have to be custom built and tuned to the sub and 90% you see online are universal so they suck. Im no fan of bandpass but i have heard a few on teh car audio circuit that were custom built and sound killer. Those Orion XTR bandpass boxes were pretty nice and got pretty deep

do you know the box im talking about? you cant buy it pre made unless you bought the ones that came with a the old orion cobalt subs. it has to be built all i need is the build plans for it or a link or the actual name of the box...

hybrid90accord
09-13-2007, 12:12 PM
yeah i know what your talking about but i havent seen that box on the market for a few years now. you can gain the same output if not more by building a built to spec ported enclosure and playing with the tuning freq. :yes:

fire7882
09-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Like this???

Looks like an interesting design.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/419974355.html

THEONE
09-13-2007, 03:27 PM
nope i saw that one too while searching. its way diffrent and thesub is not visible its copletly enclosed.

fire7882
09-13-2007, 04:38 PM
How about this one?

THEONE
09-13-2007, 05:05 PM
thats closer but imagine only 1 sub and the port is much smaller and all the way at one end.thanks for lookin ive seen tons but not that picture are there any build plans with that one?

steedracer
09-13-2007, 05:06 PM
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q6/steedracer/th_box.jpg how about this one?:thinking:

BanginJimmy
09-13-2007, 07:22 PM
I know the box you are talking about, it was a custom built 4th order bandpass. Good luck finding one now-a-days, its not going to be easy. Also, the plans for them were held very closely so finding plans isnt going to be an easy task either.

I tend to agree with whoever it was that said go ported. The added difficulty of building that box exactly to specs isnt worth what little gain you will get over a properly built ported.

I didnt knotice if you said it or not, but do you have a cobalt? If not, then finding plans for that box is useless. No other sub will perform nearly as well.

scttydb411
09-14-2007, 08:17 AM
what you're talking about is a single reflex bandpass box in which one side of the speaker is loaded into a sealed chamber and the other side is loaded into a tuned ported chamber.

if you have a speaker spec sheet i can load it up into a program to get the proper chamber volumes a port size.

it's hard to beat a properly tuned ported enclosure for sound quality and spl. the single reflex bandpass has similar qualities, but really needs good crossover points. it also can look cool as well as protect the driver.

i personally like to load my speakers iso-plane (iso baric load where they are coupled w/ a cavity under plexi). the 2 drivers face up, but physical characteristics are like a clamshell, but you get to see both drivers cones and it takes up less useable space.

i've used sealed, ported, single relflex bandpass, and dual reflex bandpass and all have their applications. unless you plan on using more drivers for mid bass along w/ mid range drivers i would stick to a standard sealed or ported exclosure for sound quality as well as ease of construction.

hope that helps.

THEONE
09-14-2007, 09:07 AM
what you're talking about is a single reflex bandpass box in which one side of the speaker is loaded into a sealed chamber and the other side is loaded into a tuned ported chamber.

if you have a speaker spec sheet i can load it up into a program to get the proper chamber volumes a port size.

it's hard to beat a properly tuned ported enclosure for sound quality and spl. the single reflex bandpass has similar qualities, but really needs good crossover points. it also can look cool as well as protect the driver.

i personally like to load my speakers iso-plane (iso baric load where they are coupled w/ a cavity under plexi). the 2 drivers face up, but physical characteristics are like a clamshell, but you get to see both drivers cones and it takes up less useable space.

i've used sealed, ported, single relflex bandpass, and dual reflex bandpass and all have their applications. unless you plan on using more drivers for mid bass along w/ mid range drivers i would stick to a standard sealed or ported exclosure for sound quality as well as ease of construction.

hope that helps.

i want to build one for a alpine type r 10 inch sub and its 2ohm if that helps.

scttydb411
09-15-2007, 02:47 AM
i want to build one for a alpine type r 10 inch sub and its 2ohm if that helps.

i'll need all the specs on it. do you have a spec sheet on it or can you find it on-line? without that i don't have the figures to input into my program.

hybrid90accord
09-15-2007, 08:00 AM
type R spec are so easy to find just go to alpine-usa.com or even crutchfield. In my experience of building boxes for type r's they perform well in boxes from 1.7-2.2 cu @32-34hz range, Ive heard larger and boxes tuned higher but they were one-note wonders IMO and the SQ was compromised.