PDA

View Full Version : volkswagon engine light turn off after replacing maf sensor?

latoilette
09-12-2007, 11:07 AM
i have an engine check light on for my 98 beetle.
i got the codes and it says defective maf sensor.

now, when i replace this part, will the engine light off automatically? or will i have to use vag-com or some software to turn it off?

Kyle
09-12-2007, 11:19 AM
It should clear itself after driving for a while. You shouldnt have to clear it, but if you do, vagcom is what you need.

mocha latte cupcake
09-12-2007, 11:22 AM
hehehe leave it to V dub to name the software VAG com bwhahahaha and yes it should go off.

Kyle
09-12-2007, 11:43 AM
hehehe leave it to V dub to name the software VAG com bwhahahaha and yes it should go off.
Lolol. (comic book guy voice) Best software name ever!

iEvo
09-14-2007, 01:28 PM
yea drive the car around for a lil bit, it will turn off

Z U L8R
09-14-2007, 01:36 PM
vagina com or any obd2 generic scanner to erase stored trouble codes ftw

koukis14
09-16-2007, 10:20 PM
All VW special tools are called VAG. If the problem is a bad MAF(probably is) it should go off after a drive cycle or two. Or like Z U L8R said a generic OBDII will clear it. Oh Z U L8R was that you that called me the other day with the radio code question, I was kinda out of it from lack of sleep and figured it was you after I hung up.

Z U L8R
09-17-2007, 08:27 AM
ya, karen's car, i appreciate that man. we don't like touching anything german except bmw's but she's been coming to us for a while. thx again for the help

the Z's up and running @@, got some call outs to reply to mwuhahahhahaha lolz

Jason..
09-17-2007, 09:10 AM
take the positive cable off fot 10 min and it will clear

Z U L8R
09-17-2007, 11:29 AM
take the positive cable off fot 10 min and it will clear

That works on 95 and older cars aka obd (obd1 same thing u just don't say the 1, as it's understood)

96 and up are obd2, which require a scanner to clear the codes unless you let your car sit for months and months with a dead battery and even then they usually still have stored trouble codes. some mid production or late model 95's are also obd2, you just have to see if you have the obd2 connector or not if you own a 95.

everyone else who's obd typically relies on jumping diagnostic pins and counting blinks to pull a code, unless u got a gangsta ass scanner like we do ^_^

Jason..
09-17-2007, 02:00 PM
not true i work 4 a shop and if u do not have a scanner it does work thanks i promise

4dmin
09-17-2007, 02:22 PM
you should of had the code cleared after you put in the MAF trust me i know i replaced 5 MAF's in my 1.8t ;)

Jecht
09-17-2007, 02:33 PM
It won't reset on the Beetles just by disconnecting the battery for a while, you have to use VAG Com or one of the OBD2 scanners.

iloveboost
09-17-2007, 02:58 PM
It won't reset on the Beetles just by disconnecting the battery for a while, you have to use VAG Com or one of the OBD2 scanners.
If that doesn't work, trying replacing the car, LOL!

Hope you get it fixed.

Jason..
09-17-2007, 04:12 PM
go to auto zone and give them $5 and they will clear it

VteckTuna
09-18-2007, 08:31 PM
That works on 95 and older cars aka obd (obd1 same thing u just don't say the 1, as it's understood)

96 and up are obd2, which require a scanner to clear the codes unless you let your car sit for months and months with a dead battery and even then they usually still have stored trouble codes. some mid production or late model 95's are also obd2, you just have to see if you have the obd2 connector or not if you own a 95.

everyone else who's obd typically relies on jumping diagnostic pins and counting blinks to pull a code, unless u got a gangsta ass scanner like we do ^_^

I have cleared codes on several OBD-II cars by removing the battery cables overnight. It has worked on everything I have tried it on.

Autozone will clear them in a few minutes for free, too.

koukis14
09-18-2007, 10:13 PM
you should of had the code cleared after you put in the MAF trust me i know i replaced 5 MAF's in my 1.8t ;)

Thats it? How many Coolant Temp Sensors have you replaced?

deathrex
09-19-2007, 12:38 AM
98 beetle will either clear the code upon initial start up if its senses there is nothing wrong with the system. If not it can take up to 3 full drive cycyles ( operating temp.) If not the code will eventually clear but can take up to 75 full drive cycles. Easiest thing to do if it dosent reset it self automatically, go to auto zone and ask to use one of the obd2 scanners and clear it yourself, then run the codes to make shure it is clear. Auto zone personel will not clear the codes but im pretty shure if u slip them a 5 they would. Or just do it urself with their scanner. As far as the battery thing goes it works on some vech. but usually after u disconnect both cables you have to tap them together not on the battery of course, ive found that works too.

Z U L8R
09-19-2007, 10:02 AM
we're professionals, we clear obd2 codes with scanners, i've never seen obd2 codes cleared by removing the cables personally unless the car's been sitting for quite some time. since we have a scanner and the customer needs their cars promptly, there's not the luxury of letting it sit overnight with the battery disconnected and hoping the customer's codes are cleared, so the customer can pay and pick up their car the NEXT day. we do the work, fix the car, clear the code, get payed,here's your keys sir/ma'am, have a nice day, the SAME day.

on rare occasions where we've had to get ecu's from junk yards, some ecu's will still have the trouble codes for the car it was previously in in there. imagine how long it's been sitting with no battery voltage on the shelf of the junk yard. shit it's the same with stand alone's, if i disconnect my battery cables for 2 months, i connect it back up and i don't lose my tune (thank you jesus), because that information is burnt into the processor, just like DTC's are burnt in the processor, so i can't understand how some of you say you cleared the codes by disconnecting the battery. some cars after the repair for the dtc is made, the code goes out on it's own, for instance a gross evaporative system leak caused by a loose gas cap. if that person tightens that gas cap, on some cars, that light will go out because it does not detect the error anymore, other cars it will need to be cleared out. why? because the trouble code is burnt into the processor.

anywho, if you say you've cleared an obd2 car firsthand by disconnecting the battery cables, maybe you did.i personally don't see how (theory and operation). my goal wasn't to start a debate about clearing codes, but to offer information for the thread starter.

deathrex
09-19-2007, 05:32 PM
if u arch the battery like i said sometimes it resets the codes but very risky in blowing fuses and other shit out.

koukis14
09-22-2007, 11:57 PM
if u arch the battery like i said sometimes it resets the codes but very risky in blowing fuses and other shit out.

Stop posting in here, you know nothing about cars or how they work.:goodjob:

koukis14
09-22-2007, 11:59 PM
not true i work 4 a shop and if u do not have a scanner it does work thanks i promise

Please tell me what shop that is so I know to never let ANYONE go there you fucking moron.