PDA

View Full Version : how to set timing

streetdreamz
09-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Does anybody have any instuctions on how to set ignition timing? Never done it before and I think my car needs it. It's a 91 Accord. I have a timing light and I I want to give it a shot. My car is sucking up gas like an 8 cyl. And I don't want to pay anyone to do it.

xb1
09-11-2007, 07:00 PM
You can adjust it a little by turning the distibutor (loosen the 3 bolts and turn while timing light is on), but you need to figure out how to enable "diagnostic mode". Get either a Haynes (cheap) or Helms manual and it should be explained in great detail there.

Killer
09-11-2007, 07:08 PM
piston one needs to be at top dead center... i had to try it on a car in the past.. not knowing what i was doing...

warped my valves... i would pay to fix it man.. it's worth it...

RBS
09-12-2007, 02:11 AM
loosen up the 3 dizzy bolts and turn it to the right and then tighten them up, i believe this retards the timing a little

speedminded
09-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Locate an old am/fm radio and you can use it to get the timing pretty close without a timing light :ninja:

but as mentioned above since you do have a timing light go ahead and pick up a Haynes manual...i'd definitely suggest it over a Chilton (or check Amazon or eBay for a factory repair manual).