PDA

View Full Version : One more coilover installation QUESTION.

madking411
09-10-2007, 03:31 PM
When you do the install, do you usually NEED to have an impact wrench to remove the bottom linkage off the strut to get it OUT of the car??

And, once you've taken out the shock/strut, do you NEED to have an impact wrench to undo the strut assembly nut??

What are the alternatives to using an impact wrench, if you dont have access to one?:???:

madking411
09-10-2007, 04:50 PM
BuMpBUMP

cornercarver78
09-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I guess it's nice to have one, but i've done it plenty of times w/o one. I guess it depends on the car, iv'e only put them on hondas. best thing to do is to undo the strut assembly nut before you take it out of the car. So in short, no you shouldn't need one.

jadakid88
09-10-2007, 05:26 PM
I guess it's nice to have one, but i've done it plenty of times w/o one. I guess it depends on the car, iv'e only put them on hondas. best thing to do is to undo the strut assembly nut before you take it out of the car. So in short, no you shouldn't need one.YEAH, WHAT HE SAID.:yes:

noridetoolow
09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
a ratchet and socket....and a big wrench.....or two big wrenches!

yeah...impact wrench = QUICK and EASY....but you can do it with hand tools in like 3 times the amount of time it should really take. LOL ....But I too have done it many times with hand tools and it works fine...g\l

madking411
09-10-2007, 08:58 PM
kay sounds GOOODDD!!! I dont care HOW long it takes, as long as it gets DONE.

(heh, actually, i kinda wanna make a miniature ''build-up'' thread of lowering my car, for other people who wanna do it in the future, they can have most/all of their questions answered by readin my thread...)

cactusEG
09-10-2007, 09:01 PM
When you do the install, do you usually NEED to have an impact wrench to remove the bottom linkage off the strut to get it OUT of the car??

And, once you've taken out the shock/strut, do you NEED to have an impact wrench to undo the strut assembly nut??

What are the alternatives to using an impact wrench, if you dont have access to one?:???:

when i did mine i didnt use one, but haveing a long wrench would help ... but it wouldnt hurt to have an impact gun..

madking411
09-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Now, what should i do, if i sayyy....run into a nut or bolt thats just IMPOSSIBLE to remove, and that i could easily strip if i did any more twisting..???

cornercarver78
09-10-2007, 09:11 PM
put a pipe on the end of your wrench for more leverage, or if its rusty and wants to strip, work it off by alternating tightening and loosening it, slowly baching it out with alot of wd-40

cactusEG
09-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Now, what should i do, if i sayyy....run into a nut or bolt thats just IMPOSSIBLE to remove, and that i could easily strip if i did any more twisting..???

WD40..

madking411
09-10-2007, 09:52 PM
k then. Sounds good.

noridetoolow
09-11-2007, 10:25 AM
and HOPE\PRAY it doesnt break.....I had to replace a strut due to a bolt rusted into the rear strut that broke....( using hand tools ) .... impact gun took the other side off without a problem...

madking411
09-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Well, if it wont come out with me twisting back and forth at full force, then im not gonna try to break it or anything, ill just put it all back together, and change my decision...and start savin up the cash to get them installed somewhere..