PDA

View Full Version : Who is running Linux?

dtmcnamara
09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Ok so I just decided FUCK MS and go with Linux. I am running Ubuntu, which so far is great, but am having a few problems. Anyone here running Ubuntu with XGL? I need to ask a vet. some questions. THANKS

Hulud
09-09-2007, 10:42 PM
cool...

coolcat
09-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Good thread, make more.

Hulud
09-09-2007, 10:47 PM
M$ lol

linux=free

Hulud
09-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Good thread, make more.
seriously, google "good thread ideas" it might help :lmao:

Jecht
09-10-2007, 12:21 AM
I've run Ubuntu before but since I can't run a lot of my favorite games on there I switched back to Windows XP. I don't EVER plan to upgrade to Windows Vista though, read the EULA.

Here are some of the really big points: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/29/microsoft_vista_eula_analysis/

sirkus
09-10-2007, 12:40 AM
I've run Ubuntu before but since I can't run a lot of my favorite games on there I switched back to Windows XP. I don't EVER plan to upgrade to Windows Vista though, read the EULA.

Here are some of the really big points: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/29/microsoft_vista_eula_analysis/
Good read.. I need to take my computer some where and get them to make xp work. I'm running Vista Home Premium, and it's slow (it come on my xps system). I've tried to put xp back on here but something with my damn Raid 0 stripe won't let me, after I tried it wiped out both of my drives, and was a bitch to get vista to come back. And I really hate to pay someone to do something on my damn computer, but I spent 2 days getting pissed off at it trying to make it work.

I really can't see why someone would want to run linux unless you just want to learn a whole bunch of coding. Nothing is hardly compatible with it, and the only reason why you would ever really need to know the system is for programming or a job. I tried Redhat back in the day.. and I wanted to kill myself. I went back to 98 after a few weeks. :tongue1:

But then again.. it's free :D

dtmcnamara
09-10-2007, 05:48 AM
I really can't see why someone would want to run linux unless you just want to learn a whole bunch of coding. Nothing is hardly compatible with it, and the only reason why you would ever really need to know the system is for programming or a job. I tried Redhat back in the day.. and I wanted to kill myself. I went back to 98 after a few weeks. :tongue1:

But then again.. it's free :D

the main reason i am running Linux is because all i use this computer for it internet, and typing papers for school. I dont play games, I occasionally download songs, but thats it. Also my XP boot sectors were fucking up so it would take 10-20 restarts just to get it started.

Stormhammer
09-10-2007, 06:03 AM
^^ you know running the repair utility off the XP disk would have fixed those boot sectors lol

Nemesis
09-10-2007, 06:44 AM
I use Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, since I work for RedHat :)

dtmcnamara
09-10-2007, 02:42 PM
^^ you know running the repair utility off the XP disk would have fixed those boot sectors lol

tried it multiple times. never would completely fix everything. decided to FUCK MS and go with something better, well better for what I am using this computer for, and something cheaper, FREE.

well back to the original question, i need some help updating a few things and installing Java. can someone please pm me so I can ask them a q. THANKS

osnap
09-10-2007, 03:09 PM
ive been meaning to install ubuntu on an old pc i have laying around... but im not in a rush, cause i <3 my OS X.

ep9716
09-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Im Dual Booted With Ubuntu And Xp...But I Have To Use Xp More Often...

superfox1
09-10-2007, 04:07 PM
I use VMware and run Puppy Linux on my Xp machine. I work with command line linux all day, so when I am at home, I like having something else to look at, but I still have the Linux there if I want to mess around with work type stuff

Mr_Mischif
09-11-2007, 07:38 AM
tried it multiple times. never would completely fix everything. decided to FUCK MS and go with something better, well better for what I am using this computer for, and something cheaper, FREE.

well back to the original question, i need some help updating a few things and installing Java. can someone please pm me so I can ask them a q. THANKS

I've been running Ubuntu for ~1yr now, so I should know how to do this.
To install java, you can go to System>Preferences>Synaptic from the main menu, enter your password, and download the j2re1.4 and java-common packages, or enter
sudo apt-get install j2re1.4 java-common from the command line, and install all dependencies. PM me if you need to know anything else.

Jecht
09-11-2007, 07:40 AM
It isn't really that hard to use Linux. Most installs are fairly easy and there are plenty of guides if you don't understand.

kyx
09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
i wouldnt call ubuntu a real linux :X

dtmcnamara
09-11-2007, 02:07 PM
i wouldnt call ubuntu a real linux :X

well its free and as close as I will get to running real "linux". i dont have time or patience for learning new things any more. I just want something to work properly and this seemed the best way to go right now.

SloWRX
09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Windows XP FTMFW!

Annihilation
09-11-2007, 10:55 PM
i heard it was pretty good

ebay item number 190149790259

superboost
09-12-2007, 08:50 AM
mandrake is the shit. I was never too great a fan of ubuntu. Fake ass afrikaan linux.

Nemesis
09-12-2007, 12:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6WCRA4kSKY