PDA

View Full Version : MY first attmept at glassing(PICS)

SL65AMG
09-09-2007, 08:22 PM
pics may be huge.....we'll find out

So i decided it was about time to begin my first fiberglassing attempt. ive been working on making kickpanels for my infinity components.

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 series.
These things are monsters. 6.1" woofer and 1" tweeter. absolutely amazing speakers. (Pic1) the woofers weigh like 5-6 pounds....really

Dracc
09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
how much were they...

Tech5
09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Nice !

Nittanys1
waiting for some more updates! Nice speakers!

SL65AMG
So i began with taping off the corners of the floorboard where the kickpanel will go. I covered the carpet with a plastic drop sheet so i wouldnt get resin on the carpet(that stuff is a bitch to deal with.) i drew out the general shape i would go with when the fiberglass dried and then began to lay the glass.

Whiteboy™
09-09-2007, 08:28 PM
you are going to be hitting the driverside one all the fucking time.

SL65AMG
09-09-2007, 08:32 PM
how much were they...

i think i paid about 230 for each set. ive got 2 pairs of components. two for the front and two for the back.

each set of speakers has an individual crossover. the only thing i dont like is the fact that they are huge(crossovers). theyre like 5"x7"(roughly)

ive got about 900 bucks in my stereo so far..... :goodjob:

no subs.... big ones anyways.

alpine Mrf-450 amp
Alpine CDA 9885 headunit
2 pairs of infinity kappa perfect 6.1 components
wiring

plus the cost of install supplies. im at about $220 in supplies and today i went out and bought a Dewalt jigsaw for $140

SL65AMG
09-09-2007, 08:33 PM
you are going to be hitting the driverside one all the fucking time.

yeah thats what im worried about.... ill have to get used to it.....quickly

Whiteboy™
09-09-2007, 08:34 PM
gonna sound good, dont put any subs in there you wont need them.

SL65AMG
09-09-2007, 08:38 PM
and then once the glass had hardened i ripped it out and made my wooden rounds for the speakers to screw into. Then i covered the right one in fleece( i havent gotten to the left side yet. this shit takes forever to do.

im glad ive gotten off my ass and done this because its pretty cool. i cant wait to be finished and hear these babies. people say the tweeters will make your ears bleed theyre so loud and crisp. :goodjob: :cheers:

and the neighborhood cat found this fat ass toad. it was on my drivewy when i found him but i moved him to the bushes..... dude is about the size of a tennis ball.

SL65AMG
09-09-2007, 08:42 PM
this is my first attmempt at this...EVER! so i know it could be better but im happy with the results so far.

Just take your time and do it right and you will have an acceptable outcome. if you try to rush it then it will get fucked up.....guaranteed.

more updates to come tomorrow.... that all i got to do today. this takes forever. ill get pics of my amp/crossover setup also. :yes:

peace

Maniaç
09-09-2007, 08:43 PM
lol. did you burn the frog? next time catch it, and burn it using a home made flamethrower.

SL65AMG
09-09-2007, 08:44 PM
My Headunit:

SL65AMG
09-09-2007, 08:46 PM
lol. did you burn the frog? next time catch it, and burn it using a home made flamethrower.

lol naw man.... i tried to keep the cat from eating him but i dont know how successful i was.

i caught it but not for the purpose of killing it.

ive got a mini butane torch i picked up from lowes which would to the trick.... but im not gonna.

Dracc
09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
well when your finish.. lets start on mine

SRCRX
09-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Damm good work!! Ya I bet those mids should jam, please tell me you
are going to put an amp on those!!

Great job for your 1st. time, I just did my A-pillers not to long ago!!

GAtegs
09-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I don't think it is a good idea to put mid-range speakers in a sealed enclosure...is it?

hybrid90accord
09-10-2007, 07:48 AM
it is better to have your mids sealed off.

SRCRX
09-10-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't think it is a good idea to put mid-range speakers in a sealed enclosure...is it?

as long as it is in the right air space, it is one of the best things you can do!!
it would almost as if you have subs in the car !! :goodjob:

SL65AMG
09-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Damm good work!! Ya I bet those mids should jam, please tell me you
are going to put an amp on those!!

Great job for your 1st. time, I just did my A-pillers not to long ago!!

of course. Alpine MRF-450

its 75w x4 (or 100w x4 at 2 ohms) so ive got 300 watts going to all of the speakers.

each speaker is (up to)100w RMS and 400w max.... :eek:

cant wait.... but im gonna go work on the left side and hopefully finish the right. be back later for updates.... :yes:

SL65AMG
09-10-2007, 04:40 PM
alright ..... ill only be able to finish the right side today but ill be able to install it completely. .... so i guess thats alright.

im out of hardener and el-cheapo paintbrushes. ill go get some later on.

anyways I just finished the fiberglass coating on the outside of the right kick. I wrapped th "frame" basically in fleece and soaked it in resin/hardener mixture and let it dry overnight.
im gonna let the glass cure for now and wire the right front side of my car.

heres some update pics along with a pic of my purchase for yesterday. ALSO ive included the Mock-Up of the amp/crossover setup ive built. OBVIOUSLY its not done.... and now that ive got a grasp I may(after i get everything installed) make some sort of rack for them out of fiberglass too..... :yes: :ninja:

SL65AMG
09-10-2007, 07:33 PM
so i decided to cut it short for the evening. I began sanding on the right kickpanel and i realize now why the "pro's" i guess you would call them use bondo. this shit is a PAIN IN THE ASS to sand smooth, and since im gonna paint them black they need to be perfect cuz every little imperfection will show up.

this is where ive gotten to today. ill have to buy more stuff and work on it again on weds.

what do you think?

AnthonyF
09-10-2007, 08:25 PM
I wish I could do that. I made an attempt with purchasing Glassmans Custom Fiberglassing DVD. i just dont know where to get the supplies.

anyways...looks great man. keep it up!

Nittanys1
09-10-2007, 08:26 PM
^^^home depot....

AnthonyF
09-10-2007, 08:42 PM
^^^home depot....

o rly? if I was with some1 getting the supplies and watching one time, i could get it done. But it is so difficult over the internet...i'm hands on..not reader type.

SL65AMG
09-10-2007, 09:25 PM
im also hands on.....

but i just read and read and read some more about it and then finally the other day i was looking at the stack of stereo equiptment that had been sitting in my room for like 2 or 3 months. i said fuck it and proceeded to try it out. turned out pretty well.

home depot or lowes

most of the stuff is in the paint dept. the fiberglass mat or cloth
(i used mat and it was a damn mess and hard to work with. use the cloth if you decide to try it.) and the resin are next to eachother.

you also need:
CHEAP-O paintbrushes
mixing cups
(i found that if you get plastic 1qt mixing cups and let the rest of the resin dry in it when youre finished itll just peel right out.)
sand paper
bondo
fleece
( green shows its saturation the best.... or at least thats what i read...and it works)
MDF or 3/8" plywood.... i used plywood.
jigsaw
plastic paint sheeting ( like a drop cloth - used for covering carpet)
masking tape
rubber and latex gloves
respirator

TIME
TIME
Patience
and an electric sander.... the smaller the better

redgst97
09-10-2007, 10:32 PM
as long as it is in the right air space, it is one of the best things you can do!!
it would almost as if you have subs in the car !! :goodjob:

Gonna have to disagree on that one....
Car Audio speakers are typically designed to work infinite baffle....or in the door of the car; which is essentially infinite baffle.

I think the speakers will/would sound better (once he is finished) if he were to drill a 2" hole in the back of the enclosure....its ok if it vents directly into the carpet, but better if he can get it into the sub-frame. I think in a sealed enclosure the lower mid-bass will be "thin", and the mid-range possibly a bit "muffled".

SRCRX
09-10-2007, 11:55 PM
not that I want to get into it, but I was speaking about this install,
honda doors are in no way "infinite baffle" in a stock form.

You don't think this will be a good way to get mid-bass?

Car Audio speakers are typically designed to work infinite baffle....or in the door of the car; which is essentially infinite baffle.

I think the speakers will/would sound better (once he is finished) if he were to drill a 2" hole in the back of the enclosure....its ok if it vents directly into the carpet, but better if he can get it into the sub-frame. I think in a sealed enclosure the lower mid-bass will be "thin", and the mid-range possibly a bit "muffled".

AnthonyF
09-11-2007, 08:03 AM
appreciate it man!!

SL65AMG
09-11-2007, 09:51 AM

i planned on cutting a hole in it actually.... i just read about that the other day.

redgst97
09-11-2007, 11:46 PM
not that I want to get into it, but I was speaking about this install,
honda doors are in no way "infinite baffle" in a stock form.

You don't think this will be a good way to get mid-bass?

Comparing a sealed kick panel (the ones shown) versus a Honda door....I think the mid-bass will be "louder" from the door. The OVERALL sound has a WAY better chance of sounding good in the kick.... There are definate advantages and disadvantages to both places.

Im not a big fan of a 2-way front stage, so lets get that part out of the way.

I would have rather seen (if I was asked) the MB in the door (with proper sound damping), and the tweeter molded into the a-pillar. If I could have suggested a 3-way setup, it might go like this:

Option 1: MB in the door (properly damped), 3 or 4" MR in the kick, and tweet on the a-pillar.

Option 2: MB in the kick, and MR and tweet in the a-pillat (would have to be a 3" probably)

Option 3: 6/7/8" MB in the door, and 4/5" coax in the kick....maybe component set, but the tweeter position would be a LOT different that what is being presented.

***Note**** I think the work being done is AWESOME for a first timer!!!!

SL65AMG
09-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Comparing a sealed kick panel (the ones shown) versus a Honda door....I think the mid-bass will be "louder" from the door. The OVERALL sound has a WAY better chance of sounding good in the kick.... There are definate advantages and disadvantages to both places.

Im not a big fan of a 2-way front stage, so lets get that part out of the way.

I would have rather seen (if I was asked) the MB in the door (with proper sound damping), and the tweeter molded into the a-pillar. If I could have suggested a 3-way setup, it might go like this:

Option 1: MB in the door (properly damped), 3 or 4" MR in the kick, and tweet on the a-pillar.

Option 2: MB in the kick, and MR and tweet in the a-pillat (would have to be a 3" probably)

Option 3: 6/7/8" MB in the door, and 4/5" coax in the kick....maybe component set, but the tweeter position would be a LOT different that what is being presented.

***Note**** I think the work being done is AWESOME for a first timer!!!!

yeah i had planned on putting everything in the door but wiring the door was going to be a PITA! also, the sheet that came in the box of speakers gave 4 options for where to put the speakers and their sound quality, from highest to lowest and the kick was ranked #1.

ill play around with other options later i am just dying to hear these babies. and it sucks driving around with no radio/music.....

to put in an antenna would i have to use a retractable CRX antenna or could i use a short, fixed antenna.... and where would i find either?...

thanks for the praise, everyone