PDA

View Full Version : seller of car lost the paperwork

Spektrewing386
09-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Ok, so im trying to buy a car from someone, but they have lost the title/paperwork. What is the proper way to go about purchasing/registering this car?

SL65AMG
09-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Ok, so im trying to buy a car from someone, but they have lost the title/paperwork. What is the proper way to go about purchasing/registering this car?

you DO NOT want to get yourself into a title nightmare..... MAKE them get the new title FIRST and THEN buy it..... do NOT buy it and then try to get the title and then find out theres some reason you cannot..... :no: :no:

please.... for your own sake....listen to me.... title problems become NIGHTMARES quickly :yes: :yes:

silversol
09-06-2007, 10:28 PM
If the car is titled it there name all they have to do is go to the tag office and apply for a new title it like a 8$ fee

Mr. Clean
09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
yeah if the paperwork is not tangible at the moment... dont buy this vehicle... if i stole a vehicle i would "lose" the title too :goodjob: then you would get theft by recieving :goodjob:x2

Spektrewing386
09-06-2007, 10:41 PM
do they need to bring any papers or such? This lady doesnt speak english very well it seems so I need some exacting instructions

Spektrewing386
09-07-2007, 01:03 AM
bump

Hektik
09-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Her registration and an ID should be enough. make sure the registration is the same name as on the ID.

Spektrewing386
09-07-2007, 09:46 AM
im not exactly sure what "paperwork" she has lost.... what if she lost her registration card? (even though it should be in the glove box)

noridetoolow
09-07-2007, 02:24 PM
If you or rather she lives in GA and has a lost GA title...its easy. I had to do this a few months back. Go down to the tag office...here are details from the GA MVD web site: There is a link for a form she will need to fill out...right there at the top.

My Georgia title is missing or damaged. What is needed to obtain a replacement?

A completed MVD Title/Tag Application, Form MV-1. (http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/pdf/motor/MV_Tag_and_or_Title_Application_Form_MV1.pdf) - This form should be typed, electronically completed and printed or printed legibly by-hand in blue or black ink in the record owner's full legal name and signed by the record owner. If the original title was issued showing joint ownership, each owner's full legal name and signature is required. The record owners are the owners shown on the face of the Georgia title and on the vehicle's current title record.

A replacement title cannot be issued in a deceased person's name. In this case, comply with the requirements for obtaining a title after inheritance. For more information, click here. (http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titles/needed/inherited.asp)
If your name has changed since the title was issued, complete the application in your new name and attach a certified copy of the legal court document authorizing the name change, i.e. certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree or other court document.
If the missing or damaged Georgia title was assigned to you instead of issued in your name, the record owner, as shown on face of title and on the vehicle' current title record, must apply for the replacement title.
Click on any form name or number on this page to electronically complete it for printing, signing and submission by mail or in-person.
Enter the vehicle's current odometer reading as of the date of application for vehicles requiring an odometer disclosure. Check the appropriate box when the vehicle's odometer does not reflect the total distance the vehicle has traveled: Exceeds the mechanical limits of the odometer (99,999 on a five-digit odometer or exceeds 999,999 on a six-digit odometer) or the vehicle's odometer does not reflect the total distance the vehicle has traveled (i.e. Odometer broken, repaired or incorrect). Enter ‘exempt' onlywhen the vehicle is exempt from the odometer disclosure requirements. Click here (http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titles/needed/vehexemptodom.asp) to view a list of exempt vehicles.
If all owners go in-person to their county tag office (http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/locate/tagoffices/)with their valid driver's license showing their current name and address, any required supporting documents (i.e. Original lien release, powers of attorney, etc.) the required fees and the vehicle's current odometer reading (when required), this application can be completed electronically and printed for your signatures and processing. Click here (http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titles/needed/vehexemptodom.asp) for a list of vehicles exempt from the odometer disclosure requirements. Please be sure to bring a complete description of the vehicle (Year model, make of vehicle, and the vehicle's identification number) with you when applying for a replacement title in person.

khaxnguyen
09-09-2007, 03:29 PM
If you or rather she lives in GA and has a lost GA title...its easy. I had to do this a few months back. Go down to the tag office...here are details from the GA MVD web site: There is a link for a form she will need to fill out...right there at the top.
nice info lol