PDA

View Full Version : System HELP!!!! (pics)

MikeyPrzy
09-06-2007, 04:36 PM
I have two Memphis Audio 10s and a Memphis Audio 1200W AMP. I have a Kenwood head unit and some Infinity 6022i speakers. Well, before I started to put the system together all I had was front speakers and my headunit and everything worked great. I hooked up the AMP and subs and new speakers and the amp and subs work, but my front speakers do not. You can see the pictures for how the setup looks... I've tried a lot of things, I tried connecting the speakers directly to the headunit instead of through all that connection shit, and I got nothing. I screwed with the Fade and Balance and still got nothing. I think the only thing it could be is the head unit, but to suddenly go out like that? Any other solutions?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b234/Przymikey/amp007.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b234/Przymikey/amp004.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b234/Przymikey/amp003.jpg

Thanks...

Dracc
09-06-2007, 05:01 PM
that is some lovely wire you got there... where you at.. i'll hook it up for you son

MikeyPrzy
09-06-2007, 05:17 PM
PM SENT!!!

RandomGuy
09-06-2007, 06:20 PM
17s civic + system = 10second car

MikeyPrzy
09-06-2007, 06:33 PM
17s civic + system = 10second car

pretty sure im sittin on 16s nignog

Mr. Clean
09-06-2007, 08:17 PM
pretty sure im sittin on 16s nignog

oh snap son! dont get it twizted.

allen8603
09-06-2007, 09:25 PM
well, for 1 that purple wire looks cut but that wouldnt explain the rest,
anyways, easiest solution is the buy a 4ch amp and hook it up since the rcas work.
problem solved and youll sound better anyway.

Z32redondo
09-06-2007, 09:28 PM
well, for 1 that purple wire looks cut but that wouldnt explain the rest,
anyways, easiest solution is the buy a 4ch amp and hook it up since the rcas work.
problem solved and youll sound better anyway.

Very true. Maybe you have the + and - turned around on the speakers and have them backwards???

allen8603
09-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Very true. Maybe you have the + and - turned around on the speakers and have them backwards???

even with the leads flipped they will still play. thats a very common misconception. it really only matters when you are trying to wire multiple speakers to achieve a certain ohm level.

Z32redondo
09-06-2007, 09:34 PM
even with the leads flipped they will still play. thats a very common misconception. it really only matters when you are trying to wire multiple speakers to achieve a certain ohm level.

Well I have never wired mine up wrong so I didnt know that. And for the fear of damaging my speakers/subs, I have never had the incentive to do so just to see if they will still work. lol Thanks for the info though man.

Mr2InSaNe
09-06-2007, 09:39 PM
i would try using a 9volt battery first and test the speaker, making sure you didnt blow your speakers on accident. Then if that doesn't work check to see if you have the right wires from the head unit. If that still doesn't work, then 4 channel amp or get a new headunit because you have some bad speaker out puts.

BanginJimmy
09-06-2007, 11:20 PM
you have both your subs and your speakers amped or just the subs?
If its just the subs, then double check your wiring. It sounds like a wiring issue if this started immediatly after installing the deck. Did you use a splice harness, or did you hardwire it? make sure you dont have the POS and NEG switched on the speaker. It will cause the speakers not to play. I know this because I had to fix it for an installer when I had to get some speakers swapped out in a hurry.

Z32redondo
09-06-2007, 11:30 PM
If its just the subs, then double check your wiring. It sounds like a wiring issue if this started immediatly after installing the deck. Did you use a splice harness, or did you hardwire it? make sure you dont have the POS and NEG switched on the speaker. It will cause the speakers not to play. I know this because I had to fix it for an installer when I had to get some speakers swapped out in a hurry.

Ok guy above just said this was not true. Cause I said it wouldnt work and he said it would. Im with you cause I beleive you probably know what your talking about.

98strat
09-07-2007, 12:15 AM
You can switch positive and negative on a speaker and it will play just fine. Only problem is the speaker is running reverse phase. This isn't a problem in a 1 speaker setup but when u add any others and wire them the other way, the sound waves will clash and sound like crap. Its also a major issue in a sub setup when using a single chamber box for 2 subs. There basically pushing and pulling the same way causing zero sound. Gotta love the physics of a sound wave.

Tree
09-07-2007, 06:52 AM
re-check everything.. and pull off all the wires and make sure they look ok, and try it all again

BanginJimmy
09-07-2007, 11:30 AM
with subs, when you reverse the polarity, they will play without a problem unless you have multiple subs have same some wired 1 way and others wired reverse.
Speakers work a little different, they have to be wired correctly, especially if they are not amped.

drpepper14
09-07-2007, 01:18 PM
speakers do not have to be wired correctly...they will just be out of phase if wired improperly.

I believe if you are running them off your headunit it is possible that those channels have gone out on the internal amp of deck. If you have a multimeter, check the ohm reading from the wiring harness of the radio to the speakers, and then pull the speakers and directly check the ohm load at the speakers to see if they are blown. You can also use a 9V battery or tone generator to check if they are blown

And just to clarify one more time, you can wire them incorrectly and they will still play, but will be out of phase unless you have all of them wired incorrectly and then technically they are in phase w/ each other and would sound fine.

MikeyPrzy
09-07-2007, 02:17 PM

The speakers aren't blown because They worked right before installation and I had BRAND NEW ones that I was installing, like still in box just pulled out new. I tried hooking an old and new speak directly to the Front Left Front Right Rear Right and Rear Left wires DIRECTLY, I got nothing. The speakers are hooked up to the headunit not the AMP itself, I think my headunit is bad but it just doesn't seem likely that something like this would happen, thanks for the help so far guys keep it coming ;)

ZeroAccess
09-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Ok first off check to make sure your getting power out of the head-unit. Get a test light and check that. More than likely your not. If your not check the harness going into the head-unit and make sure its connecting snug and hitting the terminals (sometimes I've known people to dmg the harness while goofing around with the wires). Ok if your still not receiving power out of the head-unit check the fuse/replace it thats the easiest fix. If not then you probally have an internal problem in the head-unit itself.

Now lets say your handy dandy test light flashed on somewhere in the above process.
Do you have power at the head-unit?
Do you have power at the end of the harness?
Do you have power after the splice (can't tell if you used harnesses or spliced it out of the picture, I see a lil elec tape but that may be just for the remote).

Ok if you have power ALL of those places, take a look at the speaker and check power at the speaker itself. If you have power then well..i dunno lol you should have sound.

Also check to see if your head-unit has the option to shut-off the internal amp. I've heard of some units that allow you to shut-off the internal amp when your installing external amps.

ZeroAccess
09-07-2007, 05:14 PM
And as far as the hooking negative/positive

it doesn't matter at all OTHER than the phase issue...

MikeyPrzy
09-07-2007, 05:53 PM
And as far as the hooking negative/positive

it doesn't matter at all OTHER than the phase issue...

ya i was doing the 9-volt battery check to see if the speakers were blown, and if you hook it one way the speaker pushes out and the other way it goes in. Pretty neat. I'm getting a head unit in an hour or so for free, so hopefully that will fix it. If not I'm going to /wrist and post more pics

Mr2InSaNe
09-07-2007, 08:02 PM
lol never noticed the speakers going in when hooked one way or out the other way. Usually what your looking for is a static sound coming from the speakers. What you do is hold the negative on the battery and tap the positive wire on the battery and you should hear some static noise coming from that speaker.

gobraves00
09-08-2007, 12:04 AM
does your headunit have any settings that need to be changed.

MikeyPrzy
09-08-2007, 12:40 AM
does your headunit have any settings that need to be changed.
Nope...

PROBLEM SOLVED, IDK wtf happened, I guess a loose wire or something. When I hooked a speaker up directly it didn't work, I installed another head unit and the speakers didnt work... Well Bikerj11 disconnected some wires and put them together and the next thing you know my speakers work with his head unit, so then I put my head unit back in and it works... Idk but Yay!

ZeroAccess
09-09-2007, 03:01 PM
lol as long as it works doesnt matter how ya got there good job

j225
09-12-2007, 09:55 PM
that shits gon hit