PDA

View Full Version : How long can I drive here on a Canadian license?

DeX
09-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm wondering how long before I have to convert my license and license plate over from Canada. Anyone know?

Jaimecbr900
09-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Until you get caught......:lmfao:

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

I think it's 30-60 days. :goodjob:

AnthonyF
09-06-2007, 11:46 AM
DAMN U!! i wanted to say something like that... o'well here it goes anyways:

Forever and ever...if u dont get caught. good luck with that! :)

speedminded
09-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Legally 30 days after ANY move but there's no reason you can't get away with it until either your license or tag expires.

quickdodge®
09-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Legally 30 days after ANY move but there's no reason you can't get away with it until either your license or tag expires.

Only to get caught is if he were to be pulled over or came into a roadblock. But 30 days is correct. But no sense in waiting. If you do it within that 30 days, it's free. Later, QD.

Whiteboy™
09-06-2007, 02:32 PM
30 days.

speedminded
09-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Only to get caught is if he were to be pulled over or came into a roadblock. But 30 days is correct. But no sense in waiting. If you do it within that 30 days, it's free. Later, QD.Nothing to get caught on, his dues are paid until they expire...but of course those dues are for the use of Canadian roads, not down here. If he does get pulled over then dispatch will run the plate and license and as long as neither comes up with warrants or being expired then there is no issues at all. He'll probably be asked what he is doing down here and all he needs to say is he's down here visiting or on business, not a big deal. It's no differant than if he had two houses and was at the other one.

The cost for registering isn't going to be any differant if he does it now or 6 months from now, he'll go to the DMV and get a Georgia license then to the tag office to get a plate. It's not like it's a new car with a new title & bill of sale, it does have existing registration that is up to date...and there is nothing in writing say when he moved. May have to show a utility payment for proof of address or something but that could be a year old or whatever as long as it has his name on it and the address he wants on it.

I have no issues with someone driving on our roads as long as everything is up to date. It's not like he's saving money in the long run anyways, just saving it upfront unless he has two birthdays between now and whenever he does register the car in Georgia.

DeX
09-06-2007, 04:29 PM
...and there is nothing in writing say when he moved.

Except my VISA that customs has on file for me when I crossed the border. I'm going to be working here for a year so I had to get a TN.

speedminded
09-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Except my VISA that customs has on file for me when I crossed the border. I'm going to be working here for a year so I had to get a TN.ah, that's true...but that shouldn't come up on a driving record. Best thing to do is going ahead and get a licence and become part of our system :tongue:

DeX
09-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Ya but I'm leaving Georgia in 2 months for a permanent residence elsewhere in the USA. I would like to have a collection of license plates for everywhere I lived though. That'd be cool.

speedminded
09-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Ya but I'm leaving Georgia in 2 months for a permanent residence elsewhere in the USA. I would like to have a collection of license plates for everywhere I lived though. That'd be cool.Don't worry about it then, if your license or plate isn't expiring in the next 2 months then just wait until then. :2cents:

quickdodge®
09-08-2007, 11:16 AM
..and there is nothing in writing say when he moved.

I was only mentioning the going ahead and changing license now because it is free if you do so within the 30 day limit. Later, QD.

cactusEG
09-08-2007, 11:24 AM
30days, but hurry and change it and save the time and money

speedminded
09-08-2007, 11:30 AM
I was only mentioning the going ahead and changing license now because it is free if you do so within the 30 day limit. Later, QD.
30days, but hurry and change it and save the time and moneyYeah but what i am saying there is no way anyone knows what day he moved here, he can say yesterday or 29 days ago...there's nothing he needs to show them that states when he made the move. Any utility payment or bill will do for the new address then show them his Canadian license for an ID. He could have moved here six months ago and tell them it was yesterday and nobody will know any differant.

DeX
09-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Free? For my license or license plate? Any idea specifically where I have to go?

cactusEG
09-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Free? For my license or license plate? Any idea specifically where I have to go?

city hall but its not free

quickdodge®
09-08-2007, 11:35 AM

Free for the driver's license and whatever it costs for the tag. You go to DMV to get your license and to the Tag Office in the county you live in. Later, QD.

quickdodge®
09-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah but what i am saying there is no way anyone knows what day he moved here, he can say yesterday or 29 days ago...there's nothing he needs to show them that states when he made the move.

I've never moved here from out of the country so I don't know how that works, but I would assume that there are "papers" that you need to have when moving in the US. I'm pretty sure the police will know he is from Canada when they see his current tag and license, though. Later, QD.

speedminded
09-08-2007, 11:39 AM
You will have to present your alien card/immigration documents.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1741471757&ty=dl

Information for non US Citizens

To obtain a Georgia driver's license or identification card, a non US citizen must present one of the following immigration documents that prove legal presence in the US:

1. Valid (not expired) passport with I-94 or I-551
2. Temporary resident alien card
3. Permanent resident alien card
4. Employment Authorization Card

A Georgia driver's license or identification card may be issued with an expiration date that matches the immigration documentation expiration date, but no longer than 5 years. If there is no expiration date on the immigration documentation, a license/identification card can only be issued for a period of 1 year. The cost of the license/ID is $20.

A non US citizen must present their immigration documentation every time service is requested pertaining to a driver's license or identification card. This includes renewal, replacement or name and address changes, as well as all other transactions performed by Georgia Department of Driver Services.

quickdodge®
09-08-2007, 11:42 AM
^^^ Lolol. There you go. You won't be able to hide it. But I do stand corrected on the cost of the license. That only goes if you already have a US issued license. Later, QD.

VteckTuna
09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't buya tag just to take it home either...you can probably just get some free ones that are expired.