PDA

View Full Version : stripped oil pan bolt???

madwick
09-05-2007, 09:57 AM
i tried searching and found no answers.

i have a 94 Del sol Si with a Del sol S engine (D15b7)

i changed the oil and everything was good yesterday. i get up this morning and there is about 1/4 of a quart of oil on the floor! jacked up the car, cleaned the oil pan off from excess oil and debree, waited to see where oil is coming from. not the oil filter bc of 2 gaskets, i know that old story, i check that as i was changing the oil, but its coming from the oil drain plug. checked for crush washer and it is there. checked to see if drain bolt was loose. nope not loose but continues to spin. seems as if the threads on the oil pan drain nut are stripped.

with that being said,
is there a kit that fixes this?
should i just go to the next size thread and tap the bolt for new threads?
is the oil pan that cheap that i should just buy a new one?

thanks

drmcivicsi
09-05-2007, 10:03 AM
go to the junkyard and get a new one or here on ia im sure someone has one

speedminded
09-05-2007, 10:15 AM
New oil pan

-OR-

Put JB weld on the threads on the oil pan then retap the hole once it cures. For the time spent plus the money on a tap & die kit (if you don't have one) you can probably just get another oil pan :2cents:

madwick
09-05-2007, 10:32 AM
New oil pan

-OR-

Put JB weld on the threads on the oil pan then retap the hole once it cures. For the time spent plus the money on a tap & die kit (if you don't have one) you can probably just get another oil pan :2cents:

awesome, thanks.

i got a shop at my house, dad built it for me and bought a tap and die kit back when i started to rebuild my motor.

i think i'll just get the next size bigger bolt and tap the oil pan and call it a day.

blackshine007
09-05-2007, 10:33 AM
New oil pan

-OR-

Or you can just an oversized drain plug. They even have a double oversized for holes that are even bigger. Worse comes to worst, just buy a new oil pan

speedminded
09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
awesome, thanks.

i got a shop at my house, dad built it for me and bought a tap and die kit back when i started to rebuild my motor.

i think i'll just get the next size bigger bolt and tap the oil pan and call it a day.that works too!

noridetoolow
09-05-2007, 10:50 AM
yeah...they make drain plugs for this exact reason....they have a specific name and I cannot remember what they are called....something "savers" or somethin like that. But from what I have heard they dont work all that great either....your better off with a new or salvage yard oil pan. G\L

allmotoronly
09-05-2007, 11:11 AM
since it's a honda and honda's have thin oil pans anyway i wouldn't recommend trying to drill and tap the hole for a larger plug. Just go to honda and get a new oil pan. it's pretty easy to install.

cactusEG
09-05-2007, 11:25 AM
ur best bet would be get a new pan

drmcivicsi
09-05-2007, 12:41 PM
yeah cuz u still got to take it off to clean in the inside after drilling and taping just get a new one

madwick
09-05-2007, 03:05 PM
awesome! i think ill buy a new one! does anyone know if the b series oil pan would fit? just wondering if i need to be extremely specific about it cause i have a b18 oil pan. i'd rather use it and buy the morosso oil pan since its my race motor!!!

iEvo
09-05-2007, 03:29 PM
either get a new oil pan or drain plug, depending on which 1 is stripped