PDA

View Full Version : Here we go, again...

EvasiveEF9
09-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Debating between LS Turbo build or LSVTEC NA.

Why the debate? Well..since I've gotta swap everything over to a new shell (if I do) I may as well use the time to rebuild the engine. Especially considering the owner of Auto Technology has offered me his 92 Eclipse GSX (who knows what "GSX" means... :) ) while I have the motor out. The motor has ROUGHLY 100K on it (this is going on the idea that I can trust the guy I got th emotor from...) and the rings are leaking oil. While I only have smoke under hard accel...I don't have any spots in my garage or in my driveway, but I keep having to add oil now and then.

May as well use the time to rebuild the motor and make myself happy with what I do...

So...discuss.

For a TRUE rebuild...I plan to hone the cylinders, deck it, new rings/bearings/seals/gaskets/oil pump/water pump/timing belt...and maybe one or two more odds and ends. So this puts me at...do I wanna pay the extra cash and make all these parts VTEC parts...

...or continue with rebuilding OEM stock and put the extra money aside while the engine is breaking in. As it's breaking in...be saving for a turbo kit. How much boost? Probably I would get a t3/t4, and top out at 18lbs, and run about 14lbs as a daily driver. (I don't know much about turbos...but I think this is about accurate) with all stock internals. Being all OEM stock internals, and being the LS...I think it can handle a daily 14lbs...

jfrolang
09-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Turbo > NA

mocha latte cupcake
09-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Turbo small psi :D Big boost causes Big problems lol

Papa_Smurf
well, my vote is for an LS/VTEC turbo :D

in all seriousness, LS turbo :goodjob:

EvasiveEF9
Yeah...granted, you can get more power for less money...but the SMALL gains of an NA build = that of about 100hp gain from a turbo, LoL. And...in my mind, it just takes more skill to build big numbers from an NA build..

I don't know...ya'll keep posting thoughts and opinions...

EvasiveEF9
09-04-2007, 10:44 PM
well, my vote is for an LS/VTEC turbo :D

in all seriousness, LS turbo :goodjob:

LSVTEC with toys = $$$$
LSTURBO = $$$

LSVTECTURBO = $$$$$$$ + my life when I hit a tree

mocha latte cupcake
09-04-2007, 10:46 PM
i'm a firm believer in NA build ups. but if cheap and easy power is the route in question then *whirl.... pssh* all day. but i LOVE seeing all motor builds i definately show a ish load more respect to a all motor engine, takes more planning sweat and tears.

EvasiveEF9
09-04-2007, 10:52 PM
i'm a firm believer in NA build ups. but if cheap and easy power is the route in question then *whirl.... pssh* all day. but i LOVE seeing all motor builds i definately show a ish load more respect to a all motor engine, takes more planning sweat and tears.
...my point exactly...

If I go turbo, I wanna see 300...then tuned down to like...2, LoL. I just wanna see the number "3" in the 100's place once...LoL

If I go NALSVTEC, I wanna see 200whp all day.

Cato ED-6
09-05-2007, 12:24 AM
No Forced Induction, no vtec, as much HP/TQ as you can build. Old School? LOL
More respect to the beast engine that only works off pistons(or rotarys).

EvasiveEF9
09-05-2007, 07:28 AM
LoL, thank you!

The thing is just...I don't know how much time i have to build, either...

bigdare23
09-05-2007, 09:03 AM
NA > Turbo

Papa_Smurf
09-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Well Ben, i lost your old thread about you looking for a hatch, and this is your most recent thread, so i'm posting this here.

$800 "any reasonable offer will not be turned down" I say you go check this one out, it appears to be in good shape my friend :goodjob:

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?p=36036627&posted=1#post36036627

Papa_Smurf
09-05-2007, 03:08 PM
ik you're really looking to swap everything over from your hatch, but there are a few hatch's in the For Sale section that look good. If i had the money, then i'd buy the black Si w/ the B16. Me, Guy, and my dad would all have black EF's w/ b16's :gay:lol

slow_hatch
09-05-2007, 05:28 PM
NA < Turbo

Fixed :goodjob:

EvasiveEF9
09-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Hmmm....

Black R
09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
turbo.

/thread

EvasiveEF9
09-11-2007, 04:39 PM
maybe...just maybe...

What would be adequate for 200+whp on a stock LS (no internals or anything)

jfrolang
09-11-2007, 05:04 PM
If you want 200 hp at the wheels you need to shoot for 240 at the crank. on an LS, that's probably 12 psi, and most likely the upper limit for safe boost levels on that engine.

Konstantin
09-11-2007, 09:44 PM
IF you're going to boost to over 12, get a good management system.

Guy I met was running 18 lbs(around there, anyway) with all stock internals, but because he tuned t well, he's not had asingle problem in close to a year now.

I would say LS Vtec Turbo. Just don't boost the shit out of it right away. Start off at like 8psi. Get used to it. have fun with it. If you need more...well...then up it a bit. I know its extra work, but you get much better results in the end.

What kind of head work are you looking to do with whatever you decide?

EvasiveEF9
09-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Head work I haven't fully focused on. Baby steps. Right now I'm looking at bottom end. Once I have all the pieces, I'll then focus on the top. For the bottom, I"m replacing (OEM Honda) all bearings, seals, gaskets, rings, etc. It'll go with an OEM head gasket. Debating on decking the block, or not... I don't wanna bring the compression TOO high in the event I do go boost. That's as far "up" as I've really gotten into. But you can bet that I'll be going all out with aftermarket, quality springs, retainers, and valves. P&P, as well.