PDA

View Full Version : I believe i need new Struts...

Papa_Smurf
09-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Well, first of all I have lowering springs w/ stock struts, and they're pretty much gone now. They squeek constantly and when i hit a bump the car bounces a few times, and thats very uncomfortable going 90mph :no:.

Also, i have Neuspeed sport springs, 2.0 F 1.8 R drop, and they're pretty soft. I would be interested in picking up a nice set of struts w/ sum nice coil overs, but i've yet to find a decent set thats not an arm and a leg...

so basically, i know there are people here that can find this shit. i've looked on ebay and cant seem to find anything other than tokico struts for $245. That seems like my only option. so if anyone can find sum for me, let me know what you ride on, opnions, etc.... any info will be much appreciated w/ many many reps :goodjob:

bigdare23
09-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Call nopi and ask for the honda-tech discount.

Shit when I get home I'll post the name and ext for ya. Hopefully that can with a good deal. :goodjob:

Papa_Smurf
09-03-2007, 10:50 AM
hmmm, there really a such thing called the honda-tech discount? lol the sounds so gay.

StraightSix
09-03-2007, 12:41 PM
There's really not a good way to get a decent ride and good handling from anything cheap.

The best way to go by far is Koni yellows and Ground Controls. Another option would be the package from shox.com with Konis and H&R springs.

Generally, the biggest problem you'll run into is that the damper isn't well matched to the stiffness of the spring. That leads to the car being bouncy.

bigdare23
09-03-2007, 09:52 PM
1-800-277-6674 ext 258 and ask for Allen

{I'm sorry that saving money is tEh GaYesT}

AnTi-PooN
09-04-2007, 08:51 AM
autopartswarehouse.com FTW

Papa_Smurf
09-04-2007, 11:10 AM
dad looked at the car and said my struts are COMPLETELY blown, and said my car is unsafe to drive at the moment... :(

I will be ordering struts (maybe sum coilover's too) either today or tomorrow...

Papa_Smurf
09-04-2007, 11:13 AM
autopartswarehouse.com FTW

lol ALL they have is KYB man

Papa_Smurf
09-04-2007, 11:15 AM
nvm, i was looking @ the wrong shit

I <3 my EF
09-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Here are some "cheap" coilovers.
http://www.ksportusa.com/products/kontrolpro.html
http://picperformance.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=193
The only problem is that the pics coils have no dampening adjustability, but the ksports are and I heard from someone you can get them for $600 on some sites. I think it's a good deal.

jfrolang
09-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Ground Controls + KYB AGX. It's the best deal in suspension.

Papa_Smurf
09-04-2007, 10:39 PM
i got the Tokico HP's (non adjustable) the illumina's (adjustable) were just waaaay too fucking expensive...

so i got the tokico hp's for $245 and i should be getting them next weekend... and i think maybe around christmas time i'll get a really nice set of ground control coil's

EvasiveEF9
09-04-2007, 11:07 PM
*shakes head*

Damnit, kid. What don't ya'll understand about "do it right, do it once"?

I'll let you go for a ride in my car. I roll Skunk2 Procoils on KYB AGX. It's stiff...but you've seen me in the twisties... For a SOFTER feel, I would just suggest going with Ground Control coils. But if you wanna stick like your eyes on my penis...get the Skunks.

PS-I also don't even have sway/strut bars...

EvasiveEF9
09-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Ground Controls + KYB AGX. It's the best deal in suspension.
If I'd read the thread before posting, I would have said pretty much exactly this.

JFRO, is this what you roll? Next time we're away from the metro-area, would you mind switching cars with me for about 10 miles? I wanna feel how the GC's do in comparison to my Skunks. I know they stick well, and I've heard they ride smoother. I just wanan be able to vouch it.

jfrolang
09-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Nope, but I always whore that combo out for people looking for a good setup without breaking the bank.

I have Skunk2s on Tokico HPs, been that way for like 5 years. Soon they'll be replaced by custom rate GCs with Koni yellows.

EvasiveEF9
09-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Nope, but I always whore that combo out for people looking for a good setup without breaking the bank.

I have Skunk2s on Tokico HPs, been that way for like 5 years. Soon they'll be replaced by custom rate GCs with Koni yellows.
Gettin' snazzy, huh? Well...you ruined my "test" with the ST anyways...even if oyu DID have that setup...

How's the Tokico's hold up with the skunks?

jfrolang
09-04-2007, 11:15 PM
They've held up, but every once in a while they tell me they're not up to the task of controlling the skunks. I bought the shocks in 2002, and if I wasn't a ricer I'd have done my research and bought some real shocks.

EvasiveEF9
09-04-2007, 11:17 PM
They've held up, but every once in a while they tell me they're not up to the task of controlling the skunks. I bought the shocks in 2002, and if I wasn't a ricer I'd have done my research and bought some real shocks.
Kayaba FTMFW...

Oh well. Maybe the sway will help. I hear they work miracles on our cars. Maybe I'll see you in my rearview?

Papa_Smurf
09-05-2007, 12:48 AM
*shakes head*

Damnit, kid. What don't ya'll understand about "do it right, do it once"?

I'll let you go for a ride in my car. I roll Skunk2 Procoils on KYB AGX. It's stiff...but you've seen me in the twisties... For a SOFTER feel, I would just suggest going with Ground Control coils. But if you wanna stick like your eyes on my penis...get the Skunks.

PS-I also don't even have sway/strut bars...

Alot of people roll on Tokico's and vouch for em too man... just because it aint what you rol dont mean it's garbage ;).

Anyway, i think the Tokico HP's w/ sum Ground conrtol coils will be a pretty solid setup.

Papa_Smurf
09-05-2007, 12:54 AM
wait, nvm Ben, i think you were talking to 1 <3 my EF, weren't you?

lol i know not to cheap out on suspension. Thats one of the most important parts of the car. I hate dropping $245 on struts, but i know it's got durability and performance.

Ground Control coil overs will be coming around christmas time :)

StraightSix
09-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Here are some "cheap" coilovers.
http://www.ksportusa.com/products/kontrolpro.html
http://picperformance.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=193
The only problem is that the pics coils have no dampening adjustability, but the ksports are and I heard from someone you can get them for $600 on some sites. I think it's a good deal.

Ksports are garbage. One of the CSCC guys had them on his '02 Civic coupe and the thing rode like a stagecoach. Whenever he pulled up anywhere, the car was visibly bouncy. The Ksports just couldn't handle the spring rates. He got rid of them and went GC/Koni Yellow.

I <3 my EF
09-06-2007, 11:13 AM
My friend rides K-sports in his Sentra there not really like that in his ride, just a sugestion. I've heard some good stuff about the pics though, not sure I think I'm going to go with the K-sports, or tein whichever I can get at a good price. Well what do you suggest?

StraightSix
09-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Koni yellows and Ground Controls are the best thing for the money if you want adjustability and longevity. Koni DOES build threaded body struts, but those get to be really expensive and you would need to know how you want them valved.

I have a friend who bought Konis to replace his AGXs. Jeff has a 91 ZC swapped sedan, btw, that is driven in autocrosses and at NASA track events. He says the difference between the Konis and KYBs is very noticable.

Tokico blues aren't too bad, but they are valved very similar to the stock Honda struts. We have blues and a no name coil over set up on the club's '88 CRX and they have held up ok. The car has only been driven at autocrosses for the past several years, however.

Papa_Smurf
09-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Tokico blues aren't too bad, but they are valved very similar to the stock Honda struts. We have blues and a no name coil over set up on the club's '88 CRX and they have held up ok. The car has only been driven at autocrosses for the past several years, however.

Dont tell me that :(

jfrolang
09-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Dont tell me that :(
You'll be OK with the blues. I've been rocking them for nearly 5 years on Skunk2 springs, which aren't exactly soft. They'll hold up, but there are better struts out there.

Papa_Smurf
09-12-2007, 12:49 AM
So my dad gets home and see's this....
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/pizzaface01/car.jpg?t=1189576055

And then he decided to open these...
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/pizzaface01/LPIC0044.jpg?t=1189575030

And did this with them...
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/pizzaface01/LPIC0038.jpg?t=1189575155

And i believe this is the washer he forgot to install :thinking:...
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/pizzaface01/LPIC0047.jpg?t=1189576174

Random shots......

My spare tranny :goodjob:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/pizzaface01/shocks.jpg?t=1189576243

Interior:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/pizzaface01/inter1.jpg?t=1189576296

My super slow engine :D
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/pizzaface01/LPIC0049.jpg?t=1189575675

Papa_Smurf
09-12-2007, 12:52 AM
okay, so sorry for the crappy pics, my camera BLOWS

ash7
09-12-2007, 01:11 AM
the washer he forgot looks like the top one. :) You're lucky, you don't even have to remove the damper in order to put it on. lol

are you coming to the tail with A-Ran and I?

car looks really nice man; good job keeping it clean :goodjob:

time for me to get some sleep.

audi5
-jonathan

Papa_Smurf
09-12-2007, 01:13 AM
yea, i figured that was the top one.

when you guys going to the trail?

ash7
09-12-2007, 01:24 AM
weekend of Oct. 5th.

you should ride out :)

-jonathan

Papa_Smurf
09-12-2007, 10:38 PM
weekend of Oct. 5th.

you should ride out :)

-jonathan

we'll see when it gets closer to then.

well, i drove the car today and everything feels really solid, but i stil have sum squeeks :(. I think it's from the body or something

ash7
09-12-2007, 10:57 PM
the squeaks may work themselves out overtime man. Unless it's metal-metal contact.

:) I'm glad your car is back on the road

-jonathan

Papa_Smurf
09-12-2007, 11:10 PM
the squeaks may work themselves out overtime man. Unless it's metal-metal contact.

:) I'm glad your car is back on the road

-jonathan

yea, i mean the window rattles super bad and what not, but i've never heard these squeeks like this untill the struts started going bad, so idk why they're still there...

so yea, i'm glad my car is on the road too, but my clutch is stock, and after driving my dad's hatch, which has an aftermarket clutch (not sure what stage or w/e) but it's definatly harder to press down than the stock clutch i have...

If i ever have to pull that engine or tranny out, i'm putting one of those other D series clutches we have in it.... and yes, i have 3 spare clutches, along w/ my spare tranny :lmfao:

OG-Skinny
09-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Save the money next time and buy some Ksport Full coilovers or used ones off ebay.. $599 FTW

Papa_Smurf
09-12-2007, 11:32 PM
lol, you guys are ridiculous, i'm not gonna drop a grand on struts and coils...

OG-Skinny
09-12-2007, 11:35 PM
why not? you did it for the motor

jfrolang
09-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Ground Controls + Konis is the ultimate setup. Any $600 "full coilover" is underengineered. Omni and Ksports included.

Papa_Smurf
09-13-2007, 12:00 AM
why not? you did it for the motor

lol, you're right there

ash7
09-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Ground Controls + Konis is the ultimate setup. Any $600 "full coilover" is underengineered. Omni and Ksports included.

preach it brotha!
-jonathan

cornercarver78
09-13-2007, 11:13 AM
i'm looking to get springs and struts too. I've had kyb agx's on dropzones before, but i sold the car before i drove it hard.

can anyone who has used the products tell me:

1. are koni yellows adjustable damping (if so how many settings)?
2. Can anyone who has used them compare them to the agx's (which I thought were fine)
3. I've always thought ground controls > skunk ? what do most the auto x guys use (between the two, i don't need to know about any $3k sutups lol)

StraightSix
09-13-2007, 11:59 AM
i'm looking to get springs and struts too. I've had kyb agx's on dropzones before, but i sold the car before i drove it hard.

can anyone who has used the products tell me:

1. are koni yellows adjustable damping (if so how many settings)?
2. Can anyone who has used them compare them to the agx's (which I thought were fine)
3. I've always thought ground controls > skunk ? what do most the auto x guys use (between the two, i don't need to know about any $3k sutups lol)

1. Koni yellows allow, I think, 5 damping settings.

2. According to a firend who went from AGXs to Koni, the Konis are much better.

3. TMK, I have heard more people running Ground Controls sleeves in autocross than anything else.

cornercarver78
09-13-2007, 12:09 PM
1. Koni yellows allow, I think, 5 damping settings.

2. According to a firend who went from AGXs to Koni, the Konis are much better.

3. TMK, I have heard more people running Ground Controls sleeves in autocross than anything else.

Thanks, i was thinking i'm gonna do yellows w/ ground controls this time around. sounds like the best option anyways

cornercarver78
09-13-2007, 12:24 PM
wups, $850 shipped, more than I thought lol.

jfrolang
09-13-2007, 02:35 PM
1. yes, they're infinitely adjustable. You turn the knob to make them harder or softer, they don't have just 5 presets like AGXs or Illuminas. Koni will even build them to your specs for custom valving or body length.

2. They're better.

3. Ground Controls are the best springs because again, they're built to your specs. You specify your spring rates, and you can order custom spring sizes too. You could also order their standard spring rates if you want, which are 350/250. Ground Controls do have the best sleeves in the business. All the other companies use cheap aluminum sleeves with "dual locking perches" which just corrode in place. Not to mention the wrenches included with those setups can be bent by hand.

If everyone was smart we'd all have GC/yellows as our setups. You can have completely custom specifications for under $1000, which makes all the high-end "full coilovers" look worthless.

jfrolang
09-13-2007, 02:40 PM
wups, $850 shipped, more than I thought lol.
The best advice I can give is not to cheap out. You'll only regret it later, and you'll have spent more when you break down and do it right down the road.

cornercarver78
09-13-2007, 04:30 PM
The best advice I can give is not to cheap out. You'll only regret it later, and you'll have spent more when you break down and do it right down the road.

Your right, getting the right stuff first is the best option, if indeed it is an option lol. I'm in college and kind of have a fixed budget more or less for this car. Your right though, suspension is the last thing I want to skimp on.

ash7
09-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Your right, getting the right stuff first is the best option, if indeed it is an option lol. I'm in college and kind of have a fixed budget more or less for this car. Your right though, suspension is the last thing I want to skimp on.

yah

you'll be happier with a car that runs 16.8 in the 1/4 mile, but handles like a champ.

Speed gets old after a while and gets you tickets, cornering doesn't.

-jonathan

StraightSix
09-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Speed gets old after a while and gets you tickets, cornering doesn't.

-jonathan

Heh...

Until you learn how to carry that speed through the corner...

Think the cops would buy, "But, officer it's a momentum car!".

cornercarver78
09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Heh...

Until you learn how to carry that speed through the corner...

Think the cops would buy, "But, officer it's a momentum car!".

lol true, it can also turn your car into a tree ornament, i know that from personal experience :goodjob: