PDA

View Full Version : How many people can relate to this Quote? [Deep]

Kevykev
08-30-2007, 08:43 PM
I honor this quote because I can relate to it 100%. Being a nostalgic individual has caused me to experience several instances where i tried to "regain" past experiences whether it was hanging out with old friends or revisiting old neighborhoods.

Don't bother reading it if you don't try to "feel" what it's says. (read multiple times if needed :D ).

Sometimes without conscious realization, our thoughts, our faith, our interests are entered into the past. We talk about other times, other places, other persons and lose our living hold on the present. Sometimes we think- if we could just go back in time we would be happy, but anyone who attempts to reenter the past is sure to be disappointed. Anyone who has ever revisited the place of his birth after years of absence is shocked by the differences between the way the place actually is, and the way he has remembered it. He may walk along old familiar streets and roads, but he is a stranger in a strange land. He has thought of this place as home, but he finds he is no longer here even in spirit. He has gone on to a new and different life, and in thinking longingly of the past, he has been giving thought and interest to something that no longer exist.

- The Color of Water by James McBride pg.250
(Written by Mcbride's father - Inspired by verses from the Bible)

Discuss?

XanRules
08-30-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't know what to say, but I like it.

If it weren't so damn long I'd say it all the time.

Reps.

Kevykev
08-30-2007, 08:50 PM
I don't know what to say, but I like it.

If it weren't so damn long I'd say it all the time.

Reps.

LOL

The whole purpose is just to who can relate it, that's all. :yes:

XanRules
08-30-2007, 08:51 PM
I can, I know that.

haha.

xLSTONEx
08-30-2007, 09:21 PM
I can, I know that.

haha.
cause your a faggot!

Leisa
08-30-2007, 09:22 PM
I honor this quote because I can relate to it 100%. Being a nostalgic individual has caused me to experience several instances where i tried to "regain" past experiences whether it was hanging out with old friends or revisiting old neighborhoods.

Don't bother reading it if you don't try to "feel" what it's says. (read multiple times if needed :D ).

Sometimes without conscious realization, our thoughts, our faith, our interests are entered into the past. We talk about other times, other places, other persons and lose our living hold on the present. Sometimes we think- if we could just go back in time we would be happy, but anyone who attempts to reenter the past is sure to be disappointed. Anyone who has ever revisited the place of his birth after years of absence is shocked by the differences between the way the place actually is, and the way he has remembered it. He may walk along old familiar streets and roads, but he is a stranger in a strange land. He has thought of this place as home, but he finds he is no longer here even in spirit. He has gone on to a new and different life, and in thinking longingly of the past, he has been giving thought and interest to something that no longer exist.

Discuss?

thats some deep shit Kevin....really deep

OneSlow5pt0
08-30-2007, 09:25 PM
i cant read :(

Kevykev
08-30-2007, 09:34 PM
I laughed and shook my head simultaneously at 2 of the above posts

Leisa - you make me laugh as well.

Slow Motion
08-30-2007, 09:40 PM
It seems to me he's talking about trying to live in the past. If you do so then you are going to miss everything in your future. You have to move on with life, people that are gone are gone and you will miss the ppl that are here if you dwell in whose no longer here. Don't forget them but let them be gone. You can't go back in time so life for today and prepare for tommorow.

My thoughts...

Love it or hate it.

Kevykev
08-30-2007, 09:43 PM
It seems to me he's talking about trying to live in the past. If you do so then you are going to miss everything in your future. You have to move on with life, people that are gone are gone and you will miss the ppl that are here if you dwell in whose no longer here. Don't forget them but let them be gone. You can't go back in time so life for today and prepare for tommorow.

My thoughts...

Love it or hate it.

yeah reminiscing is one thing but try to live in the past and you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Julio
08-30-2007, 09:44 PM
fuck that.. sometimes I wish I was 16.....

Kevykev
08-30-2007, 09:46 PM
fuck that.. sometimes I wish I was 16.....

HAHaaaaaa defiance!

you now the deal!

VooDooXII
08-30-2007, 10:34 PM

Definitely had to read this over a couple times. A few parts reach out to me. I may have misinterpreted it...or hey, maybe it's just my own interpretation.

Yes, sometimes I feel like I want to go back...relive my past, but only if I had the knowledge which I have now. Then again, I'd miss out on the "excitement" of new discovery... :dunno:

I think I need to go over it again.

KPowerEP3
08-30-2007, 10:43 PM
I like it. Also, I find it sadly truthful. It's one of those things that, though we all know is fact, the fact is a hard one to face. I'm sure we've all had thoughts or feelings of trying to get back together with old love interests, only to realize that you're so much better off without them. The same can be said for old friends or anything really, which if you think of it, is really kind of depressing and enlightening at the same time.

The knowlege that you're better off without someone or something that was once such a huge part of your life can be devastating.

Kevykev
08-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Definitely had to read this over a couple times. A few parts reach out to me. I may have misinterpreted it...or hey, maybe it's just my own interpretation.

Yes, sometimes I feel like I want to go back...relive my past, but only if I had the knowledge which I have now. Then again, I'd miss out on the "excitement" of new discovery... :dunno:

I think I need to go over it again.

Don't think 'time machine,' simply think of heading back to your old neighborhood or community to 'relive' experiences just as it was years ago.

almost impossible - things will most likely be different -very different

GIXXERDK
08-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Everytime I go back home in NY where I grew up, it doesnt feel the same anymore. I get a lil disappointed.

VooDooXII
08-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Don't think 'time machine,' simply think of heading back to your old neighborhood or community to 'relive' experiences just as it was years ago.

almost impossible - things will most likely be different -very different

Whoa...you just threw a whole new spin on it. Haha, thanks.

Now that you say that...yea...every time I visit India, it seems like a completely different place. Yea, it's fun and all...but it's nothing like it was. This kinda goes personal with me. I always chill with my cousins in India, and now it seems like we're drifting further apart every time I go back, even though we hang out with each other...it doesn't seem like we're nearly as close anymore. We're still the same people...but it just seems so different.

Kevykev
08-30-2007, 10:51 PM
I like it. Also, I find it sadly truthful. It's one of those things that, though we all know is fact, the fact is a hard one to face. I'm sure we've all had thoughts or feelings of trying to get back together with old love interests, only to realize that you're so much better off without them. The same can be said for old friends or anything really, which if you think of it, is really kind of depressing and enlightening at the same time.

The knowlege that you're better off without someone or something that was once such a huge part of your life can be devastating.

:goodjob:

That sums it all up perfectly!

KPowerEP3
08-30-2007, 10:52 PM
I do my best.

Kevykev
08-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Everytime I go back home in NY where I grew up, it doesnt feel the same anymore. I get a lil disappointed.

My God man who are you telling!!!

Block looks smaller, streets are dirty, school looks completely different - did I grow up right...here?

Kevykev
08-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Whoa...you just threw a whole new spin on it. Haha, thanks.

Now that you say that...yea...every time I visit India, it seems like a completely different place. Yea, it's fun and all...but it's nothing like it was. This kinda goes personal with me. I always chill with my cousins in India, and now it seems like we're drifting further apart every time I go back, even though we hang out with each other...it doesn't seem like we're nearly as close anymore. We're still the same people...but it just seems so different.

Yeah and it's a principle in life that hit's you right in the middle of your heart! As much as you might not want to accept it - you have no choice but to. :(

I do my best.

You gave great examples :goodjob:

Kevykev
08-31-2007, 06:46 AM
Friday Read

Echonova
08-31-2007, 07:54 AM
Is the the place that changed or you? Becoming older seeing more of the good and bad of life, changes your outlook. The old guy that hung out on the corner and was fun to talk to, is now a homeless bum that begs for money. As a child you were smaller, so everything else seemed bigger, larger than life. The streets of NY have always been dirty, but until you know different, you never see it. The Good 'ol days weren't always good. You remember the good, forget the bad as time goes on.... Like when you look through old pictures, nobody takes pictures of the bad times, only when you're smiling. Unless you're Yousef.

Kevykev
08-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Is the the place that changed or you? Becoming older seeing more of the good and bad of life, changes your outlook. The old guy that hung out on the corner and was fun to talk to, is now a homeless bum that begs for money. As a child you were smaller, so everything else seemed bigger, larger than life. The streets of NY have always been dirty, but until you know different, you never see it. The Good 'ol days weren't always good. You remember the good, forget the bad as time goes on.... Like when you look through old pictures, nobody takes pictures of the bad times, only when you're smiling. Unless you're Yousef.

Those are all contibuting factors as well- You're right. "Streets was always dirty son!!!!"

lol @ the closing statement.

Kevykev
08-31-2007, 10:10 AM
any other contributions?

Killer
08-31-2007, 10:34 AM
reps...

The Yousef
08-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Unless you're Yousef.

WTF IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!!?!?!?!

Echonova
08-31-2007, 11:23 PM
WTF IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!!?!?!?!Let's look at some of your latest pics, shall we? I don't see a happy one among them.

VooDooXII
08-31-2007, 11:29 PM

Just experienced that this evening... :doh:

I really liked that though. Very nice breakdown.

The Yousef
08-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Just experienced that this evening... :doh:

i'm sorry that i dumped j00....we were never met to be....:no:

its not you...it's me....

well actually its you....:yes:

:goodjob:

Echonova
08-31-2007, 11:39 PM
i'm sorry that i dumped j00....we were never met to be....:no:
its not you...it's me....
well actually its you....:yes: