PDA

View Full Version : balanced ?blueprinted?

vancem3m3
08-29-2007, 02:16 PM
i have a boosted 8 psi stock internals ls vtec now . but i want to go forged pistons and rods do i HAVE to balance and blueprint? why cant just put them in???

Leadfoot_mf
08-29-2007, 02:18 PM
so your ? is what is balancing and blueprinting?

Leadfoot_mf
08-29-2007, 02:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance

xbn83
08-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Balancing or not still depend on whether the rods and pistons you buy already balanced or did not. But you must balance crankshaft no matter what. Blueprinting means to check all the cleareances, making sure everything is within specs. A 5 secs google will give the answer you need:
http://www.custompistols.com/cars/articles/balanced.htm

speedminded
08-29-2007, 02:57 PM
If you're gonna spend the time and money to do something why not just do it right the first time?

allmotoronly
08-29-2007, 06:54 PM
If you're gonna spend the time and money to do something why not just do it right the first time?

seriously

GSRtegŪ
08-29-2007, 07:13 PM

x2

speedminded
08-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Quality machining, assembly, AND tuning from reputable shops is the key. It's a tough decision on how far to go with a build because [for the most part] you know if can't be warrantied whatever your decision may be. You have to find those who have experience and confidence in their work: have tested, re-tested, and even blown things up. You don't know the limits of something until it's been pushed...hopefully while on their own time, not the customers :tongue:

The way I see it you have two options for the build:
1) If you have the time and money to blow and you plan on taking chances and pushing the limits while making it more powerful and faster not knowing what will happen next then go for it by all means.

-or-

2) Build it for X amount of power and durability that's been proven to work then stay under those limits.

This is why I prefer race shops that specialize in what you're wanting, they normally know exactly what needs to be done and what will happen if it's not...with plenty of research & development to back it up. For the most part, if it's capable of withstanding the abuse on the track then it's just fine for the street...but then you have to remember most race engines are very well maintained: always warmed up and cooled down properly, frequent oil changes, and gauges are constantly being watched...