PDA

View Full Version : General Chat RB20 VS SR20 CHIME IN

Z U L8R
08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
my opinion is stock vs stock sr20 makes more power than the rb20, turning the boost up a tad with everything still stock, the sr20 still makes more power than the rb20.

getting to someone that doesn't wanna stay stock forever and a day.

let's say there's 2 people that both want 350rwhp, Guy A is the sr20 owner, Guy B is the rb20 owner, easy enough

we upgrade both motors with a walboro 255, a good sized front mount, 3 inch exhaust and a good aluminum koyo radiator.

both motor's now get a z32 maf, 550cc injectors, a gt28/71r, and an safc with a good tune.

both motors make 350 rwhp.

the sr20 guy get's scared and decides to get rocker arm stoppers. the rb20 guy doesn't do anything

i bet the sr20 guy's motor gives out before the rb20.

my conclusion is rb20 is a better motor modified than an sr20. but stock vs stock sr20 is better than rb20.

how does this make you feel? rofl, do you agree or disagree?

81911SC
08-29-2007, 09:12 AM
It makes me feel like every motherfucker on I.A. has made a topic about this bullshit.

Z U L8R
08-29-2007, 09:13 AM
yeah but i never got to chime in on it rofl and i'm bored at work

let's also go into price

sr20 motor set is more expensive than rb20 motor set. rb20 revs higher and sounds better, however rb20 is timing belt where as sr20 is timing chain.

Ran
08-29-2007, 09:19 AM
rb20 revs higher and sounds betterHells yes it does.

admedlin
08-29-2007, 09:55 AM
isnt it also harder to find parts for the rb?

back in the day I was gonna get a 240 like everyone else. I had a friend who was going to sell his for $750. I was trying to decide the same thing and was checking out Top Hat for the swap and everything. They had the RB25 for like $3,500 or something.

But then my dumbass friend went to Carmax and they gave him $500 for his car, so I scrapped my plans and got a Prelude.

Just thought I would share my car story since I'm bored too.

Anyways, I would go with the RB20 over the SR. I love the sound of the RB, you can get the same power out of them, the RB is built stronger.

Z U L8R
08-29-2007, 12:32 PM
WOOOOO. where's the sr guys at lol. sr swap is easier in the sense that your tach will work, and you don't need to buy motor mounts to put it in an s13 also. so i guess that's a little plus for the sr side. but since we're talking motor vs motor i didn't mention that.

i was rockin the sr20 back in 2000-2002 and i loved mine. didn't have any problems with it cept the stock turbo's kept blowing. but nowadays all i see are sr20's with valvetrain issues and rods through the block...

Vteckidd
08-29-2007, 12:33 PM
SR > RB if your talking about REAL POWER

SR is better in:
Cost of parts
Availbility of parts
aftermarket support

I lik the RB20 they are cheap, but my friend has one in his S13 and he has all kinda of problems with finding parts for it, and its crammed.

i personally like the RB25 for it price an the power it makes. althugh next year ill prob do an RB26 in the Silvia to keep it nissan

iEvo
08-29-2007, 12:37 PM
yea a built rb20 i think would be better also, stock it sucks. an EVERYONE and their mom has a damn sr20

hXc007
08-29-2007, 12:57 PM
rb20 > sr20

one of my friends has a rb swapped into his s13 and everytime i hear it idle or when he revs it, i just want to steal his car lol

its the swap i would do if i had a 240 :goodjob:

WhiteAccord
08-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Get A Honda....

BLK JDM
08-29-2007, 01:28 PM

SR is better in:
Cost of parts
Availbility of parts
aftermarket support

I lik the RB20 they are cheap, but my friend has one in his S13 and he has all kinda of problems with finding parts for it, and its crammed.

i personally like the RB25 for it price an the power it makes. althugh next year ill prob do an RB26 in the Silvia to keep it nissan

1st sensible reply in this whole thread!!

BobbyFresco
08-29-2007, 01:29 PM
I would get an RB over an SR, just to be different.....But then again, I'd probably do a VQ or 2jz swap if different was what I really wanted....

v-empire
08-29-2007, 01:40 PM
hey dave!

350hp rb20 is more reliable than 350hp sr20

i ll take that challenge with you.

your old room mate,

superdave.

Z U L8R
08-29-2007, 02:46 PM
sounds good Dave ^_^ me korea me pk you PWNT @ H4X

kk, i wish mwangi would jump on this with his 2 cents

rb20 powa ftw!! lolercakez

1000cckiller
08-29-2007, 02:48 PM
RB FTMFW

wantboost
08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
yea a built rb20 think would be better also, stock it sucks. an EVERYONE and their mom has a damn sr20i dont understand why this is even part of the equation. I look at it like this, you have a 240, (theoretically speaking) no matter what motor you put in it is still going to be an other 240.... rb or no rb. just because you put an rb in it does not make you unique (especially a rb20.)

Echonova
08-29-2007, 03:52 PM
RB makes a better boat anchor than a SR.

Capt._Ron
08-29-2007, 03:54 PM
RB20's are heavy ass pieces of shit that would be better modified to be a coffee table. Why the hell would someone put a heavy ass iron block straight six in a car that doesnt make any more power than a much lighter aluminum block 4 cylinder. the damn thing doesn't even fit that well and the car is unbalanced completely. Not to mention that you can find parts for that shit.

Echonova
08-29-2007, 03:59 PM
If the RB was so much better and it's cheaper. Why wouldn't everyone do it? We would still have this thread though.

HalfBaked
08-29-2007, 04:04 PM
I wish I had the video of me racing the rb20 s13.

He had like 3 car head start on me and I pass him like its nothing.

upstatescevo
08-29-2007, 04:15 PM
i am actually building a rb20 right now and the only problem i am running into is finding parts and the aftermarket is very slim and it is picking up but i have also built an sr an judging by both motors i think that the rb20 is alot beefier stock

Z U L8R
08-29-2007, 07:59 PM
If the RB was so much better and it's cheaper. Why wouldn't everyone do it? We would still have this thread though.

1jz is way better and cheaper than an sr20, y aren't more people doing it?

i will say truely, finding forged internals or a greddy intake manifold for an sr20 is like finding parts in nopi for a civic. it is hard to get forged pistons for an rb20 and i don't know any company off the top of my head that makes an intake manifold for one. however most peeps on this forum wouldn't know how to drive anything over 350rwhp.

mike you remember that white s13 i was selling a little while ago, that clean ass one. week later the kid wrecks it....bone stock cleanest s13 i eva SEEN!!

a lot of the sr20's i've seen in the last 2 years were either stock, under 300 horse, or the person attempted 350hp and it didn't last 2 months before it dropped a valve, or the shim on the valve came out or it slung a rod through the block. i don't think i've ever met an rb20 guy that put a rod through the block. cracking pistons/rings yes, i've seen my share of both motors detonated, i personally i have done it to each LOL

that's y now after i see turbo dave i put tape over my boost controller knobs ROFL

i would like to emphasize the revability factor though. both motors aren't that huuuuge of displacement. so you pop a decent sized turbo on it, it's gonna be laggy, but once you can get into boost, you can twist the 20 up waaaaaaaay higher than the sr without valves/springs etc etc. true or false?

both motors got crappy turbos stock. however i'd take the sr's t25 over the ceramic crapola on an rb20 any day. sr20's t25 won't hold 14 lbs of boost all the way to redline....and the rb20's doesn't make anymore power after 5500 (stock or stock /w upped boost)

i believe 350hp is safer on an rb20 than an sr20. and more fun to drive since you can marinate in boost longer.

R32Dragon
08-29-2007, 10:09 PM
The sound of an RB mated to a good exhaust is pure sex.

mocha latte cupcake
08-29-2007, 10:12 PM
RB straight pipe ftmfw!

RB > SR

TRDwasiq
08-29-2007, 10:34 PM
who gives a fuck man ..seriously WTF FUCK RB20 FUCK sr20 .get wht eva u want to get.. dont come in here start this thread... seeing these for yrs and yrs:)

Echonova
08-29-2007, 11:00 PM
1jz is way better and cheaper than an sr20, y aren't more people doing it? Because not everyone has the ability to do that swap in there driveway.....duh.:D

Andy_013
08-29-2007, 11:11 PM

SR is better in:
Cost of parts
Availbility of parts
aftermarket support

^^^I am with him
heres my :2cents: my brother sr20 in 4 different 240sx and it is alot easier to work on a 4 cylinder compair to a 6 cylinder with no room for a fan clutch.

Z U L8R
08-30-2007, 04:17 PM
i love this thread.

99exdriver: clutch fans take power to spin them. i'm happy for your brother, tell him to keep it up =] both motors are easy to work on though. i think all nissans are easy to work on, cept the frickin z32's, i guess that's another reason nissan fuckin ownz lol.

i'm not bagging on sr20's. i've had a lot of sr20 cars and done many many swaps for peeps. i think both are decent motors. but just like people get tired of hearing this debate, i get tired of hearing people say rb20's suck and sr20's is where it's at. i'm not forcing anyone's decision. do wtf you wanna do to your car @ trdwasiq

adding my 2 cents for the rb community

TRDwasiq
08-30-2007, 06:10 PM
ok....:)

Z U L8R
08-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Because not everyone has the ability to do that swap in there driveway.....duh.:D

i swear to gawd there couldn't be more write ups and dvds and step by steps on how to do an sr20 swap for blind retarded babies with a pair of pliars and a 2x4 but 80% of attempts in this general vacinity i'm the shit bag that ends up fixing the wiring or diagnosing what the person did to fuck it up i swear fo gawwwwwd!! :lmfao:

there's some of you that i know know wtf ur doing, but i swear, these mofo's couldn't follow the directions on how to cook EZ mac >_< and thank gawd for pr0n or some of them could never procreate either :no:

i appreciate everyone's input, i'm just checking the thread from here to there as boredom occasionally sets in. once again thanks everyone who responded to this whore of a beaten dead horse thread. i appreciate you humoring me. yall take care
Dave :goodjob:

eraser4g63
08-30-2007, 08:37 PM
I loved my Sr when it ran and i wasn’t chasing down wiring issues. I think a lot of that had to do with the shop that did the swap. But as far as the RB>or = or< sr I don’t think there is a winner. It all depends on what the owner wants. And as far as I am concerened after owning several nissans they fucking suck, cause when something breaks ( and you know its going to) it has to be ordered cause its not in stock and its going to cost you an arm and a leg. Damn I miss my sred 240….:(:(

Z U L8R
08-31-2007, 07:48 AM
you wanna buy my 1990 1g clipse gsx then ?? =]

Echonova
09-01-2007, 08:03 PM
I loved my Sr when it ran and i wasn’t chasing down wiring issues. I think a lot of that had to do with the shop that did the swap. But as far as the RB>or = or< sr I don’t think there is a winner. It all depends on what the owner wants. And as far as I am concerened after owning several nissans they fucking suck, cause when something breaks ( and you know its going to) it has to be ordered cause its not in stock and its going to cost you an arm and a leg. Damn I miss my sred 240….:(:(See, like Z U L8 R said, it's how it's done. My SR wiring was done correctly, I use my 240-Silvia clone for my DD. 63 miles round trip everyday. I do joke about my Nissan being unreliable, but it has never broken down, everything works as it should. Even the A/C.:D

\\'angan
09-01-2007, 09:45 PM
it is rare to see a rb20 overheat.....cold running motor
sr20 is like a microwave as soon as you crank it

LeX
09-04-2007, 05:27 PM
LOL you shoulda heard the exhaust i put on the 280z rb20det i got from Ran, thing sounded sick once i worked on it some...after I sold it never saw or heard of it again.. oh snap

BuBBa DRiFT
09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
no 240 is unique, id go with SR before RB just because of my week-week paychecks. Reliability as well as gas mileage are what interest me into SR20's, not to mention the same displacement in a lighter motor rings my bell.

SR20 > RB20 budget wise

RB > SR Sound wise.

KA > SR > RB overall.

wait....what?