PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a difficult situation with user: "....."

ct9a gsr
08-28-2007, 07:41 PM
This thread is being made as an effort to gain advice from the IA community on what I should do about this situation. This thread is NOT made to put down anyone's character intentionally, but rather display factual information about a previous deal I've had with user ".....".

On June 1st, 2007, I purchased a 1992 240sx from ".....". He had it advertised on IA for sale here:

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122090

We agreed on an amount for the car and misc. parts that came with it. I'll spare uneccessary details but I purchased the car understanding that the turbo was blown and the pressure plate on the clutch was also defective... and the car was smoking due to the turbo problem. I understood all this and purchased the car with intent to repair everything and drive it.

At the time of purchase, "....." told me that the title to the car was still in the previous owner's name but signed by the previous owner. I inspected the title and found that he'd already signed his name on it. He told me that he would go to the tag office as soon as possible to get the title transferred in his name so he could then sign the title and transfer it to me. Knowing that a friend of mine has purchased a car from "....." before, I entrusted that he would keep his word and paid the full amount we negotiated for the car that night. We both signed two bills of sales and kept one each.

As the next week past, my friends and I immediately started and finished work on the car. We replaced the turbo with a new one, replaced the pressure plate, fixed misc. other stuff, etc. The car ran fine afterwards and this was all done in the first week. In the meantime, I casually sent "....." a PM reminding him about the title and he stated that he'd goto the DMV "tommorow" and get it taken care of. I waited patiently and drove the car with the bill of sale.

A week quickly turned into a month. As more time passed, I would call "....." every so often (maybe once a week or two) to remind him of the title. I honestly don't remember how many times he actually answered the phone in the first month but communications still seemed adaquate. He explained to me that the title was still being processed by the DMV and could take awhile and to please wait. I agreed and asked if another bill of sale could be made so I could drive the car while the title was still in process. I had already purchased insurance for the vehicle. He agreed and faxed me over a signed bill of sale.

As July progressed towards August, I noticed that "....." has NEVER ONCE called me in this whole time of dealing with me and it was always me trying to communicate with him. Well, in July "....." stopped answering any of my phone calls that I called from my phone with calller ID enabled. Every attempt to contact him went to his voicemail after several rings. I left a few voicemails expressing my concern about the situation and that I really needed the title so I could progress work with the car and drive it safely. The only way I was able to contact "....." was by either blocking my caller ID before calling him OR by calling his place of work and asking for him. The first few conversations in this month seemed to still be pleasant. He expressed that he's been swamped with work. He explained that he never answers his cell phone at work and that he turns his phone off after 8pm everynight so that's why its hard to reach him. He also told me his phone was malfunctioning and he was in the process of getting a new phone. He's told me this a few times now but told me to call him between 6pm - 7pm for best results. He told me he's already contacted the DMV about this (as per my request beforehand) and spoke with a lady and said that there was nothing he could do... that we would just have to wait. I requested that he meet up with me so we could goto the DMV together (although I live very far from him) OR for us to make a conference call to the DMV to figure out what was going on over the phone. He agreed and stated that he'd call me back by Monday to tell me what times he'd have off work to spend time with me to deal with this situation. I was willing to skew my schedule to accomidate his busy schedule. He never called me, ever. I attempted to call him repeatedly at his 6pm - 7pm time block and left messages with no avail. Again, the only way I was able to contact him was by calling his work or blocking my caller ID.

It is now the end of August and this month has been not much different. It has been nearly impossible to get a hold of him as his co-workers usually tell me he is busy after I state who I am. I never try to hide who I am, even when I block my caller ID I state who I am immediately. One time, his co-worker did tell me it was his day off of work and to reach him at his cell phone and that he should answer... of course, no answer at all for me. The last time I had any communication with "....." was yesterday when I called his place of work and he picked up directly. I identified myself and told him, as usual, that I really needed the title and that we need to find a resolution ASAP. He stated that he hasn't called me because he doesn't have an answer for me and hung up before I could say anything else.

Now I am stuck with a 240sx that I am afraid to drive due to the situation, an insurance bill every month that is going to waste, and no title to the vehicle. This car was supposed to be my daily driver for school this semester but I am being forced to drive the Evo everywhere still. I do not want "....."'s character to be damaged by this thread but instead, all I request is for him to take action and give me my title and we can go on our seperate ways. I have no idea what motives, intentions, or reasons "....." has on why he has not gotten the title processed and given to me yet.

It is painfully obvious that "....." does not want to communicate with me and has never attempted to do so after the first night... so I ask anyone on IA who knows or deals with "....." to please help me in getting the title to this car. This is the first going-negative experience I've ever had on IA in dealing with buying/selling of things and I've done a lot of buying/selling on IA before. I also ask for any advice on what I should do next. Thanks for reading... if there are any questions, please feel free to ask or PM me. Thanks.

-Charles W.

Vteckidd
08-28-2007, 08:03 PM
he should refund you in full if he cant produce a title.

PERIOD.

he cant legally sell a car that he doesnt own, its called TITLE JUMPING.

If you have a bill of sale from him, and it doesnt say PARTS CAR, then take him to small claims court for title jumping and not producing a title.

Or, get the PREVIOUS OWNERS contact information an go around him. if he NEVER transferred it then its not his car. you can get the previous owner to give you a replacement title and act like .... never existed.

either way, he fucked you, it takes 20 days MAX to get a title. If you go to HAPEVILLE you get it the SAME DAY.

I went through this with RAN when he bought a 240sx off me. it took me 19 day sto get a title, and i was ready to refund him his money if i coudlnt get a title in 30days

BlkCD5
08-28-2007, 08:04 PM
At this point you did everything you could have possibly done. Just give the person a final warning via other forms of communication. After that, air the situation out. "...." can always fess up in the thread. Its fucked up that people on here can't do business deals legitimately.

Vteckidd
08-28-2007, 08:06 PM
awiating his side

The Creeper
08-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Kick his ass is a good solution? Sounds like bullshit man, sorry to hear that. Should me and kyle pay someone a visit? it wouldn't make much sense if he was just too lazy to go to the DMV. there is something he isn't telling you obviously, and avoiding your phone calls is definitely bullshit. I would make some sort of legal action or illegal action "cough" "cough" pretty quick though. No sense in pissing insurance money away, or not being able to drive a car you payed for...

Tracy
08-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Charles,

Did you cal the DMV and ask them about the title? You have the VIN, you should be able to find something out if they are processing it.

BlkCD5
08-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by 6.0GTO
Should me and kyle pay someone a visit?

Why does vigilante justice always come into play :???:

Ruststang
08-28-2007, 10:48 PM
i read you pm to me and this thread. I'm the original owner of this vehicle:which i wish i had kept now: I will be willing to do anything i can to help you out in this situation. call me if u need to 404-444-5266 is my cell. Call me between 5:00pm and 5:01:33 pm after that i fly to mexico where my cell phone wont work and...lol i dont turn my phone off just give me a ring, I work in a loud place so if i dont answer leave a message and i will call you back asap.

Evan

iloveboost
08-28-2007, 11:01 PM
i read you pm to me and this thread. I'm the original owner of this vehicle:which i wish i had kept now: I will be willing to do anything i can to help you out in this situation. call me if u need to 404-444-5266 is my cell. Call me between 5:00pm and 5:01:33 pm after that i fly to mexico where my cell phone wont work and...lol i dont turn my phone off just give me a ring, I work in a loud place so if i dont answer leave a message and i will call you back asap.

Evan
LOL!!! +1 for stepping up and doing the right thing. Much more than I can say for "....."

The Ren
08-29-2007, 05:15 AM
Wow.. Evan very cool of you to step up.. Charles hun I have to agree with Tracy.. call the dmv with the vin.. this is a real f'd up situation.. :( Sorry man.. If there is anything I can do.. lemme know. I work right across from his place of business...

Whiteboy™
08-29-2007, 05:28 AM
thats pretty fucking gay charles.

ct9a gsr
08-29-2007, 09:14 AM
I'll update this thread accordingly after tommorow... and if mods allow, I'll post "....."'s real information and where he works if things turn out how I think they will.

BTW... the power and helpfulness of IA in situations like these is absolutely amazing. =D

Annihilation
08-29-2007, 10:06 AM
CHECK YOUR PM I HAVE A WAY TO GET U A TITLE ASAP!

RISKYB
08-29-2007, 01:43 PM
BONDED TITLE

Ruststang
08-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Wow.. Evan very cool of you to step up.. Charles hun I have to agree with Tracy.. call the dmv with the vin.. this is a real f'd up situation.. :( Sorry man.. If there is anything I can do.. lemme know. I work right across from his place of business... I want to see a glorious happy ending to the car i got rid of to soon. So im going to do everything in my power to take care of this issue. Maybe "....." Is just lazy or something i don't know the dude, but he sure dosen't seem to have alot of respect for other people. Anyway Charles and I will hopfully get this straight on thursday we will have to wait and see.:yes:

The Ren
08-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Good luck.. again thanks for being the bigger man and stepping up. We need more people like you on here..

Ruststang
08-30-2007, 09:34 AM
::blush::^^ lol

i4_garage
08-30-2007, 10:42 AM
I have been thru this situation also, and one thing I did. I will never deal wit that person again, and I have found a way to get a title myself. Its just a bit time consuming. If you want me to show u how, send me a PM.

P.S.

That owner came up to me wit the title 3 months later and i told him i got one. LOL!
Stuff like this will results in bad karma. Karma is a biatch :)

quickdodge®
08-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Why does vigilante justice always come into play :???:

Cause idiocy runs rampant in some people. Later, QD.

quickdodge®
08-30-2007, 11:45 AM
LOL!!! +1 for stepping up and doing the right thing. Much more than I can say for "....."

I agree. +20 to you, trick. Nice to step up and be a man. Later, QD.

ct9a gsr
08-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Situation is resolved WITHOUT any help from Chris Shakespear aka user "....." - Evan aided me in getting a new title for the car and I can not express how thankful I am to Evan to take care of this issue. Chris couldn't take care of this in THREE months but Evan took care of it in literally 2 hours. I made a new thread to give Evan positive feedback about all this.

With that said... DO NOT TRUST CHRIS SHAPESPEAR WITH ANY DEALINGS! Now that I know the truth of this title, he REPEATEDLY lied to me about everything and gave me the run around. He PURPOSELY did not pick up my phone calls (which should have been common sense back then). He PURPOSELY avoided me and had NO INTENTIONS OF EVER GIVING ME WHAT I PAID FOR. I still don't understand what his true intentions and motives were for not spending the 2 hours needed to give me my title, but it is obvious that if he's willing to try to scam me over a car, he'll scam anyone over anything. DO NOT TRUST HIM.

SRCRX
08-30-2007, 12:28 PM

That cool time is $$$ +1

Ruststang
08-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Situation is resolved WITHOUT any help from Chris Shakespear aka user "....." - Evan aided me in getting a new title for the car and I can not express how thankful I am to Evan to take care of this issue. Chris couldn't take care of this in THREE months but Evan took care of it in literally 2 hours. I made a new thread to give Evan positive feedback about all this.

With that said... DO NOT TRUST CHRIS SHAPESPEAR WITH ANY DEALINGS! Now that I know the truth of this title, he REPEATEDLY lied to me about everything and gave me the run around. He PURPOSELY did not pick up my phone calls (which should have been common sense back then). He PURPOSELY avoided me and had NO INTENTIONS OF EVER GIVING ME WHAT I PAID FOR. I still don't understand what his true intentions and motives were for not spending the 2 hours needed to give me my title, but it is obvious that if he's willing to try to scam me over a car, he'll scam anyone over anything. DO NOT TRUST HIM.

Hey thanks for the ride and stuff, Im glad we could get everything taken care of. Im very suprised the level of speed and service we recieved from the title office today. Well anyway have fun with it and contact me when you going to take it to the dyno i would love to see it. :bannana: :goodjob:

kennyboi
09-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Hey thanks for the ride and stuff, Im glad we could get everything taken care of. Im very suprised the level of speed and service we recieved from the title office today. Well anyway have fun with it and contact me when you going to take it to the dyno i would love to see it. :bannana: :goodjob:

Ruststang good job for stepping up +1

09-13-2007, 04:03 PM
this is just a informative post.... i am sure a lot of people will and can vouch for me on this site.. i have been on it longer than most of, well 98 percent of the people, but that is not what this is about. this is me coming 100 percent clean. I did sell this car to charles who got a killer deal. I did have a title for the car and i did tell him i would get the title transfered for him. this is where i dont have an excuse. i never came through with it. I will say thank you to Evan for being a better person with this situation than i was.. i made a mistake with this situation. but to be slandered then banned from this site was pretty dumb. For those that know me on this site know i wouldnt intentionally screw anyone..... so to those who are quick to slander me .. FUCK YOU. Charles I am sorry I should have dealt with this situation way differently. so again Charles I am sorry. and i will also pay for whatever charges you had for applying for the new title.

Vteckidd
09-13-2007, 04:55 PM
IM glad you came clean, and the offer to pay for the charges is a nice gesture.

Doesnt excuse the laziness, but shows your trying to make an effort which i applaud you for

Tracy
09-13-2007, 09:06 PM
i made a mistake with this situation. but to be slandered then banned from this site was pretty dumb. For those that know me on this site know i wouldnt intentionally screw anyone..... so to those who are quick to slander me .. FUCK YOU. Charles I am sorry I should have dealt with this situation way differently. so again Charles I am sorry. and i will also pay for whatever charges you had for applying for the new title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slander_and_libel

It would be libel in this case, if it applied, but since what he wrote wasn't false...then it's not.

Either way, good job for standing up and admitting you were wrong or lazy or both. I commend ya for that. :goodjob:

Ruststang
09-23-2007, 03:19 PM
i wish i had one of those touchy end of a show summaries but i guess in the end everything worked out... Practice safe sex !