PDA

View Full Version : turbo on a auto

SLo_MKIII
08-27-2007, 11:05 PM
turbo on a auto? would it do me any good? the engine is a KA24DE if that helps any

allmotoronly
08-27-2007, 11:07 PM
no different really than a manual tranny on a turbo car. it depends on the driver.

JDM onlyy
08-27-2007, 11:13 PM
well, if you're gonna drag on it, kinda kicks ass if you have a tranny that shifts fast enough cause you can launch at full boost by using the brake boost technique. and you shouldn't do much spinning because of the auto tranny's torque convertor, but it beats the hell out of your tranny. :D

SixSquared
08-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Personally, I would invest the money in an auto to manual swap, then worry about the turbo *cough*I have everything you need except the trans*cough*.

But if you insist on keeping it auto, I think you need a transmission cooler or something like that... it's been a while since I've discussed it.

The disadvantage of boosting an auto trans car is that you have to wait for the turbo to spool. Generally, turbos make their maximum power in the higher rpm range... auto transmissions are geared and programmed to shift in the middle of the rpm range.. therefore you would, theoretically, NOT be making full boost and optimal power on a shift. I'm sure a shop could reprogram your ecu to shift higher, but the problem you run into is that you just don't have the control over the shifting that you really want. With a manual trans, YOU decide when to shift. When you are just daily driving around, you shift at lower rpms, but when you are competing/racing, you rev it on up. If you get the auto trans reprogrammed to shift higher, you'll be driving around town at 5000 rpms because your transmission doesn't "know" to shift. Get it?

If you insist on staying auto and not buying all this KA24DE manual stuff from me (clutch lines, master cylinder, pedals, gauge cluster, middle console, etc), and you REALLY want boost, I would look at a supercharger instead of a turbo.

Advantages of a soopercharger- It works with the air ENTERING the motor.. that's where it makes boost. Consequently, you make power as soon as you hit the gas. You don't push the high boost numbers of a turbo, and most superchargers feel pretty good around 8-12psi. You don't get the crazy high hp numbers (450+) of a turbo, but you get decent gains, and in the quarter, you hang with turbo cars because you have power right off the bat.. you don't have to wait for a turbo to spool. The reason most domestics are commonly supercharged is because, generally, domestics redline around 4500 - 5000rpm. Usually a turbo is just starting to spool around there. Imports generally are capable of winding the rpms up to 7500+ safely, which gives a turbo plenty of time to spool. Domestics generally supercharge to overcome the fact that they don't wind that high. Auto transmission cars do not go that high, either. Therefore, supercharger is your best bet for a really noticeable power gain, and you also don't have to worry about as much wear and tear on the motor, since you have lower boost pressure being pushed through the motor.

Cons of supercharging - It's expensive to get a good supercharger setup. Worth it, but expensive. Check out Vortech, Eaton, and Jackson Racing... they're generally the best. The other main con is that I don't even know if a KA24DE supercharger is made... hmmm... If they don't make one, contact the company and ask about a sponsorship! That's how I got my pretty blingy billet aluminum motor mounts for free. :D

SLo_MKIII
08-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Personally, I would invest the money in an auto to manual swap, then worry about the turbo *cough*I have everything you need except the trans*cough*.

But if you insist on keeping it auto, I think you need a transmission cooler or something like that... it's been a while since I've discussed it.

The disadvantage of boosting an auto trans car is that you have to wait for the turbo to spool. Generally, turbos make their maximum power in the higher rpm range... auto transmissions are geared and programmed to shift in the middle of the rpm range.. therefore you would, theoretically, NOT be making full boost and optimal power on a shift. I'm sure a shop could reprogram your ecu to shift higher, but the problem you run into is that you just don't have the control over the shifting that you really want. With a manual trans, YOU decide when to shift. When you are just daily driving around, you shift at lower rpms, but when you are competing/racing, you rev it on up. If you get the auto trans reprogrammed to shift higher, you'll be driving around town at 5000 rpms because your transmission doesn't "know" to shift. Get it?

If you insist on staying auto and not buying all this KA24DE manual stuff from me (clutch lines, master cylinder, pedals, gauge cluster, middle console, etc), and you REALLY want boost, I would look at a supercharger instead of a turbo.

Advantages of a soopercharger- It works with the air ENTERING the motor.. that's where it makes boost. Consequently, you make power as soon as you hit the gas. You don't push the high boost numbers of a turbo, and most superchargers feel pretty good around 8-12psi. You don't get the crazy high hp numbers (450+) of a turbo, but you get decent gains, and in the quarter, you hang with turbo cars because you have power right off the bat.. you don't have to wait for a turbo to spool. The reason most domestics are commonly supercharged is because, generally, domestics redline around 4500 - 5000rpm. Usually a turbo is just starting to spool around there. Imports generally are capable of winding the rpms up to 7500+ safely, which gives a turbo plenty of time to spool. Domestics generally supercharge to overcome the fact that they don't wind that high. Auto transmission cars do not go that high, either. Therefore, supercharger is your best bet for a really noticeable power gain, and you also don't have to worry about as much wear and tear on the motor, since you have lower boost pressure being pushed through the motor.

Cons of supercharging - It's expensive to get a good supercharger setup. Worth it, but expensive. Check out Vortech, Eaton, and Jackson Racing... they're generally the best. The other main con is that I don't even know if a KA24DE supercharger is made... hmmm... If they don't make one, contact the company and ask about a sponsorship! That's how I got my pretty blingy billet aluminum motor mounts for free. :D

great info thanks:goodjob:

SixSquared
08-27-2007, 11:37 PM
np.. it's what I do... *cough*buy my conversion stuff! I need paint money!*cough*

n1accord
08-27-2007, 11:52 PM
WOW... lol
Great sales tactic! Must try sometimes... *cough-cough*

iEvo
08-27-2007, 11:52 PM
no different really than a manual tranny on a turbo car. it depends on the driver.

no it DOES NOT depend on the driver...it depends on the trans. if u give it hell then yes its goin to take a shit, if ur nice to it then it will last a lot longer

OneSlow5pt0
08-27-2007, 11:55 PM
built auto > manual

one plus to a auto turbo is never losing boost....but not smart on stock auto tanny(unless it came with turbo)

SixSquared
08-27-2007, 11:55 PM
I think they were talking about the quickness of the car/competitive abilities against manual cars... in which case it is ALL about the driver. A good driver can take a NA car, say a honda civic, and make it run just as fast, if not faster, than a bad driver in the same car with boost/mods.

SixSquared
08-27-2007, 11:56 PM
built auto > manual

one plus to a auto turbo is never losing boost....but not smart on stock auto tanny(unless it came with turbo)

Yeah.. if you're in a car that's making major hp... I doubt he is.

hXc007
08-27-2007, 11:56 PM
what if a car has sport-tronic shift mode?

OneSlow5pt0
08-27-2007, 11:57 PM
SMT can shift faster than a manual

SixSquared
08-27-2007, 11:59 PM
^^Dude... read the damn thread.. he said it's a KA24DE... That motor is in 240s... Correct me if I'm wrong, but no USDM 240s came with sport-tronic shifters...

And don't get me started on the tampon effect of the sport-tronic shifters.. I hate them so much.. yes, even when they are in ferraris and high end luxury cars/exotics. I just hate them. But personally, I wouldn't dare boost a motor with the pussy shifters... asking for trouble. If it's factory, fine, but putting aftermarket boost on... nooooo

SixSquared
08-28-2007, 12:00 AM
SMT can shift faster than a manual

Exactly.. and if you're in a class where the .005 second difference would matter and it would be beneficial, you are putting down WAY more than the 225-250hp that this guy is probably aiming at getting, no?

OneSlow5pt0
08-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Exactly.. and if you're in a class where the .005 second difference would matter and it would be beneficial, you are putting down WAY more than the 225-250hp that this guy is probably aiming at getting, no?

lol,i know

SixSquared
08-28-2007, 12:03 AM
lol,i know

lol shut up and get back in the kitchen, bish! :tongue1:

hXc007
08-28-2007, 12:15 AM
damn, i was just asking about turboing a sport-tronic shift car

i knew that the ka is the stock 240 motor, its a truck engine lol

SixSquared
08-28-2007, 12:21 AM
lol yeah it's a truck motor. Good times. :D

But seriously.. I hate those stupid transmissions... sport-tronic, tiptronic.. whatever you wanna call it... they're like bi girls... when you really wanna fuck em, they say they're not interested because they want a girl that night (or in my case a guy). Pretty to look at, but good for pretty much nothing.

SLo_MKIII
08-28-2007, 12:25 AM
if i had a 240 i would buy the conversion lol altima FTL!!!

SixSquared
08-28-2007, 12:28 AM
might still be usable... I dunno.

waitaminit.. wtf you tryin to go fast in a damn altima for? sell the altima and buy a 240!

SLo_MKIII
08-28-2007, 12:36 AM
might still be usable... I dunno.

waitaminit.. wtf you tryin to go fast in a damn altima for? sell the altima and buy a 240!

haha pls dont sleep on teh altima:D
im stuck with it for the next 3 yrs so why not :lmfao:

hXc007
08-28-2007, 12:45 AM
swap an sr20 in it lol

jk

SixSquared
08-28-2007, 12:51 AM
^^ He actually might be onto something.. there's a FWD SR20 that holds boost NICELY, and I'm sure there's a 5spd altima conversion out there... 240 pedals and stuff might work... that would be a badass sleeper project. ;)

SLo_MKIII
08-28-2007, 12:54 AM
^^ He actually might be onto something.. there's a FWD SR20 that holds boost NICELY, and I'm sure there's a 5spd altima conversion out there... 240 pedals and stuff might work... that would be a badass sleeper project. ;)

since we are on the topic what all is needed for the swap to have a driveable car?

SixSquared
08-28-2007, 12:58 AM
the auto to manual?

Here's your shopping list:

Pedals (you need a clutch pedal)
Manual trans
Shift linkages/shifter
Dash wiring harness from a manual
manual ecu
master and slave cylinders
clutch hard liens
gauge cluster (nice to have but not necessary.. most auto cars have the PRND123 on the gauge cluster... manual gauge cluster gets rid of that)

Ummm I think that's it. It's a pain, but it's well worth it when it's done correctly and well.

SLo_MKIII
08-28-2007, 10:11 AM
the auto to manual?

Here's your shopping list:

Pedals (you need a clutch pedal)
Manual trans
Shift linkages/shifter
Dash wiring harness from a manual
manual ecu
master and slave cylinders
clutch hard liens
gauge cluster (nice to have but not necessary.. most auto cars have the PRND123 on the gauge cluster... manual gauge cluster gets rid of that)

Ummm I think that's it. It's a pain, but it's well worth it when it's done correctly and well.

what is the last thing? is that suppose to be lines? also is the dash wiring harness required?

allmotoronly
08-28-2007, 10:29 AM
no it DOES NOT depend on the driver...it depends on the trans. if u give it hell then yes its goin to take a shit, if ur nice to it then it will last a lot longer

isn't that the same as saying how you drive the car will determine the life of the tranny?!?!? so by what you say, it does depend on the driver. you contradict yourself.