PDA

View Full Version : Faded steering wheel

BarnDog296
07-16-2005, 12:55 PM
The steering wheel on my '93 240SX is faded, and I really want to color it black again, does anyone have any idea on how to do this? Its a rubber kind of material, i have no idea what exactly the material is, but i really want it colored back.

1439/2000
07-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Buy another one for 10 bucks somewhere. You cant really dye it because your hands will sweat and it will bleed on you.

I have a momo wheel and hub for sale.

down_shift
07-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Just replace it with an aftermarket one.

Spyder
07-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Just replace it with an aftermarket one.
:goodjob:

1439/2000
07-16-2005, 07:19 PM
I have a momo wheel and hub for sale.

messagelength

BarnDog296
07-17-2005, 09:47 AM
I really dont want to replace the entire wheel, it has all my functions for cruise control and all on it, and I would have to re-create those somewhere, and I always think the red toggle buttons people replace them with to get after market wheels just look like Nitrous buttons, and that is stupid. This car is my daily driver and I do alot of highway driving, so I would like to keep the functions of my steering wheel. No one knows if there is a paint or something i can use to restore it? or even how to dye it again, it doesnt have to be perfect, only the 3 spokes need to be done b/c im rewrapping the wheel with a leather cover.

1439/2000
07-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Buy another one. Seriously no one restore steering wheels on a 12 year old economy car when there are plenty of other ones laying around in good shape.

CMO
07-17-2005, 04:40 PM
hell get a another 240sx wheel. People are always upgrading their stock wheels so buy someone's used one.

BarnDog296
07-17-2005, 04:42 PM
you guys, i swear, sometimes cant answer a question, so you totaly try to think of something else. If you dont know how to do it, then why do you even post? it has never made any sense to me...

HalfBaked
07-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Dye and paint will just come off.

Either deal with it being faded or stop fucking bitching. People are trying to help your ass out by giving you ideas. A new steering wheel would be cheaper then paint and dye anyways. Plus if you replace it with another 240sx wheel you get to keep your cruise control.

BarnDog296
07-17-2005, 08:48 PM
actually, what im doing is working really well so far , and i have only spent $15 so far, the point of the things that I do, is i try to do it with as little money as possible first, then if I HAVE to spend the money, then I do, but i give it a DIY try first. I love to learn and try to do things a cheap way at first. Finding a steering wheel that someone is selling off is not as easy as saying it. But the point is still i give it a try b4 i spend money on it. so I would really like people to post that might have some experience with restoration... i hate how forums on here, turn to a bunch of ppl trying to flame me, it's really irritating. I really only ask things that havent been covered, and I do ALOT of searching b4 i ask anything.

CMO
07-17-2005, 09:27 PM
dude if you don't wont us to saying about what your doing then don't post shit up. You ask us a question and we try to answer then you get pissed cause you don't like the answer we give you. You say that your trying to save money on the mods that you do. But I don't see how dying the steering wheel is gonna save you money. The dye is gonna come of then you will either be dying it again, or buying another wheel. Hell I have a buddy that parts 240's out I'm going down there tmrw I'll see if he has the wheel that you need. He'll probably just give it to me if he has one and then I'll just give it to you cause I don't need one.

BarnDog296
07-17-2005, 09:36 PM
look man, i really dont get pissed, the thing is that I dont have people that just give me things, im really new to the area, ive only been here 8 months, and ive only joined these groups in the past couple months, i dont have the connections like that. I am trying to meet more people in the groups, and currently hang out with the ATL-SR20 group in the area, but that is fairly recent. It would be nice if i could see people that just give me parts that I need, i need a ton of random SMALL parts, like the spark plug wire holders off an engine, but i dont have that. It must be nice to have it that easy. Im really trying to get those connections. And Im always willing to lend a hand in any project (even if its not my own) i dont know everything, but like i said a hundred times, im really just trying to learn...

If you get the wheel and pass it on, i would be more than willing to help you out if even for a second hand to help lift stuff (its what im best at, lol)

BarnDog296
07-17-2005, 09:38 PM
oh, and like i said, ive already started a "process" to clean it up and its working really well so far, it will take a couple days, and ill post some pics... ive only spent $15 for the leather cover so far. the rest of the stuff ive had so far.

sebastianHoff
07-17-2005, 09:45 PM
the reason we dont know about cleaning up the factory wheel is there is no point. you can go to the junkyard and buy one for $10. shit i've got a perfect one i'll sell to you for $25 and an r33 wheel i'll sell you for $50. that crap on the wheel cant be restored, its like a funky rubber compound that once the sealant comes off the wheel comes apart. buy another one

BarnDog296
07-17-2005, 11:01 PM
thats what i needed to know, i didnt know that the rubber compound was destroyed when it rotted, i thought it would just fade, and i talked to a restoration guy recently, and he told me he would redye it for me and do the leather stitching. But if it really is destroyed, then I will look for a new one. Maybe aftermarket, but i would be interested in a perfect one for $25, i dont really like the r33 one, does the r33 one have the cruise control and all on it? i guess i would want to see it too, IM me BarnDog296 on Yahoo or AIM.

1439/2000
07-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Buy another one. Seriously no one restore steering wheels on a 12 year old economy car when there are plenty of other ones laying around in good shape.

again.

you say you're new, so listen to a few vets.