PDA

View Full Version : Polyurethane vs Urethane bushings

YellowFury
08-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm getting ready to buy an upgraded bushing set for my car, and I don't know what the difference between polyurethane bushings and urethane bushings are (except price). Can someone explain. Thanks.

Crazy Asian
08-27-2007, 01:50 PM
poly is way stronger then just urethane. My polyure lip kit is like indestructable.

Jordanmd88
08-27-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm pretty sure they are the same thing... Urathane is just shorter... the only difference i've seen in Bushings is the red or black ones... The Red ones will squeak later on down the road.. and the Black ones will not because the compoud has built in lubricants...

xb1
08-28-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm pretty sure they are the same thing... Urathane is just shorter... the only difference i've seen in Bushings is the red or black ones... The Red ones will squeak later on down the road.. and the Black ones will not because the compoud has built in lubricants...

Correct on the name, but not on color code. Black is typically used for the "softer" (poly)urethane, and red is usually a dyed form of the harder stuff (its normally white). Sometimes the black and red are the same hardness urethane (like ES or Prothane) and you need to read what the hardness is in order to determine how harsh they will be. The stock Honda rubber bushings are typically around 55-65 shore A hardness, and most Prothane bushings are up in the 80 shore A range. The squeaking is caused by how much and how well the grease for the bushings is appiled. Mine squeak a ton, but I got kinda tired about 1/4th of the way in.

Jordanmd88
08-28-2007, 04:22 PM
I've actually dirlled little holes in my bushing sleeves and the threaded them then installed grease fittings... fixed my every 9 month squeek

xb1
08-28-2007, 06:24 PM
I've actually dirlled little holes in my bushing sleeves and the threaded them then installed grease fittings... fixed my every 9 month squeek

Bah, I'm way too lazy to do that. Besides, if its not done by the time its bolted on, it just has to wait until next time its unbolted. :D