PDA

View Full Version : please help Weird Noise, Transmission or Clutch Problem?

TheProfiteer
08-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Ok here is the situation, I had a buddy of mine with a 97 DX hatch whos transmission went out, and also had a burnt ass clutch.

I sold him my EX transmission, and he bought a replacement clutch kit.
Keep this in mind his clutch was burnt bad, and his flywheel had some signs of overheating.

I know the transmission is good because I drove with it a while back, and it was perfect. No noise or grinds or problems of anykind

So I took everything off, replaced the Transmission, Clutch, Pressure plate, and throw out bearing. put everythign back together, filled the trans with 10w-30 and set for a test drive and I get hit with a problem
Heres how it goes:
When the peadal is depressed or when its in neutral there are no noises.

but when I put in first and begin to take off there is this very noticable rattling or chattering type of sound, its loudest in first and seems to go away as RPMs go up, then its a little quieter in second and goes away as the rpms go up, still a little noticable in 3rd but goes away as the RPMs go up, and by 4th or 5th gear I cant hear it anymore.

Keep in mind the flywheel was not resurfaced.

I need to pinpoint this problem, because I have to go back and take everything apart and try to figure out exactly what is causing this, but I do not want to go in blind.

Anyone have any suggestions or any way I can pinpoint the problem?

allmotoronly
08-26-2007, 03:28 PM
what kind of clutch did you use? It could be clutch chatter...

TheProfiteer
08-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Perfection Clutch Kit, if its clutch chatter, could it be cause the flywheel was not resurfaced?

allmotoronly
08-26-2007, 07:55 PM
clutch chatter is usually caused from using a unsprung clutch. Factory clutches have springs on the hub that dampens any vibration or chatter. if you used a pucked design or a design that does not have a sprung hub, it will cause some noise and vibrations.

Also its usually not a good idea to resurface a honda flywheel. just my $.02

TheProfiteer
08-27-2007, 01:05 AM
this was a sprung clutch

RBS
08-27-2007, 10:23 AM
from what i have read, looks like something is loose or the flywheel likes making noise lol, post up a short vid of you driving the car

TheProfiteer
08-27-2007, 10:26 AM
I will try to post that video, but I dont think I can. I do not have any digital camera, and I think the video on my phone just wont do.

really I just need to determine if its an issue with the Clutch and Flywheel, or if its a problem with the transmission.

Andy099
08-27-2007, 10:35 AM
i'm having a similar issue

1civic
08-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Anytime you replace the clutch you need to resurface a flywheel and don't forget about that throw out bearing.... ;)
But from what it sounds like it may be a bearing in the trans, How long did it sit before you installed it and whats the miles on it ?

TheProfiteer
08-27-2007, 02:00 PM
its been sitting for about 3 months, give or take a few weeks.

millage is around 130k, but its was just fine when I was driving on it, to the day I pulled it.

mxglory258
08-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Same thing happened in my 96 Coupe. One of the springs actually blew out of the clutch hub. Also had internal trans problems. Idk if thats your case too.

I'm sure being a new clutch, thats highly unlikely, but tis what happened on my car.