PDA

View Full Version : Misc BEOWULF: full CGI movie?

BKgen®
08-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes, all animated.

Looks nice... very nice.

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/041/041070/vids_1.html

ep9716
08-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Nice

Whiteboy™
08-25-2007, 05:20 PM
i hate full cgi, it would have been pimpin if it was made like the lord of the rings

BKgen®
08-25-2007, 05:34 PM
i hate full cgi, it would have been pimpin if it was made like the lord of the rings

i dunno man, it looks pretty cool to me. Not something you see every day... final fantasy did it, but they didn't model real actors' faces in cgi. i think it'll be bitchin'.

ep9716
08-25-2007, 05:40 PM
I Have To Read That Story For Fucking Class LOL!

SixSquared
08-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Angelina? Hell yeah! Sign me up!

Whiteboy™
08-25-2007, 06:04 PM
i think it is going to be a complete toss up on how well it does

BKgen®
08-25-2007, 06:07 PM
I Have To Read That Story For Fucking Class LOL!

that's one of the only ones i really ever enjoyed reading. Reminded me of Morrowind:Bloodmoon when i was reading it lolol.

ubers2k
08-25-2007, 06:42 PM
it's not completely a CGI movie... it's all live action with CGI "enhancements".

BKgen®
08-25-2007, 07:10 PM
close enough, smart ass. ;)

BKgen®
08-25-2007, 09:13 PM
check this one out:
http://www.beowulfmovie.com/restricted/verify.php

damn grendel looks like one badass mofo

XanRules
08-25-2007, 09:24 PM
that's one of the only ones i really ever enjoyed reading. Reminded me of Morrowind:Bloodmoon when i was reading it lolol.

haha, me too! I got Bloodmoon right after I finished reading the book!

As for making it full CGI based off of peoples' faces...what's the point?

XanRules
08-25-2007, 09:25 PM
check this one out:
http://www.beowulfmovie.com/restricted/verify.php

damn grendel looks like one badass mofo

too bad that other book I had to read for class made him an existentialist pussmaster.

BKgen®
08-25-2007, 09:28 PM
haha, me too! I got Bloodmoon right after I finished reading the book!

As for making it full CGI based off of peoples' faces...what's the point?

I guess because it's just differen - kinda like 300 was different in the stylistic way it was made. Seems like it would be kind of a waste of time, but i'm pretty stoked to see it...

BKgen®
08-25-2007, 09:29 PM
too bad that other book I had to read for class made him an existentialist pussmaster.

Grendel by john gardner? lolol i had to read that shit, too :lmfao:

BuBBa DRiFT
08-26-2007, 01:21 AM
word on the streets is you get to see angelina naked. but i dont know how sexy 80 pounds will look like naked....

ubers2k
08-26-2007, 01:06 PM
close enough, smart ass. ;)

how is it close enough? CGI and Live action are different... it's basically the same style as 300, except they are going a little further with the CGI part. Beowulf is basically using the same technology as the Polar Express movie.

§treet_§peed
08-26-2007, 01:54 PM
looks good. i remember this story when i was in drama thru high school... damn i feel old now..:( lols

XanRules
08-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Grendel by john gardner? lolol i had to read that shit, too :lmfao:

One of the only two books I've ever actually ripped up and thrown away in class.

Incidentally the other one was about existentialism, too.

Oh, and 300's stylization kicked ass and didn't have CGI characters. It just seems like a waste of money and talent. But I'll still see the movie.

OneSlow5pt0
08-26-2007, 02:38 PM
300 had tons of CGI

ubers2k
08-26-2007, 03:25 PM
One of the only two books I've ever actually ripped up and thrown away in class.

Incidentally the other one was about existentialism, too.

Oh, and 300's stylization kicked ass and didn't have CGI characters. It just seems like a waste of money and talent. But I'll still see the movie.

300 was practically completely filmed in front of a Green screen... how can you say it wasn't CGI?

VooDooXII
08-26-2007, 03:28 PM
word on the streets is you get to see angelina naked. but i dont know how sexy 80 pounds will look like naked....

I wonder how people would react to that...being that Angelina's animated.

ubers2k
08-26-2007, 03:50 PM

again... not animated. do I have to post up the interview for the movie?

Wurm
08-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Angelina? Hell yeah! Sign me up!
x2

BKgen®
08-26-2007, 04:48 PM

no... calm down, Tonto. we believe you.

ubers2k
08-26-2007, 04:50 PM
no... calm down, Tonto. we believe you.

Ummm... I am calm? I just don't like it when people talk about a movie when they don't know anything about it...

BKgen®
08-26-2007, 04:59 PM
taken from IMDb:

"According to the writers Gaiman and Avary, the reasons of making the movie entirely CG are:

- the aging of the main character (covering 50 years of his life);

- the creative freedom which the process gives, keeping the cost the same per minute, no matter of the content;

- the movie is designed to be seen in 3D (IMAX or Real D)."

OneSlow5pt0
08-26-2007, 05:09 PM

same ways as normal

thumbs down

ubers2k
08-26-2007, 05:33 PM
taken from IMDb:

"According to the writers Gaiman and Avary, the reasons of making the movie entirely CG are:

- the aging of the main character (covering 50 years of his life);

- the creative freedom which the process gives, keeping the cost the same per minute, no matter of the content;

- the movie is designed to be seen in 3D (IMAX or Real D)."

Everything is "motion captured" but it's still going along the basis that The Polar Express took, which was all live action with "CG enhanced imagery". During a Comic-con interview after the movie was unvieled, the director stated that it was not a CGI movie, but a movie with CGI enhancements. If I can find that clip I'll post up.

Notice I say "enhancements" though. That pretty much means that most of it will be live action, but as you said, it gives the freedom of manipulating age and time. So most of the movie will be live action (same as 300) but when they need to they can manipulate the characters the way they need to to fit the story. It's still considered a live action film, same as every other movie using the same technology.

BKgen®
08-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Everything is "motion captured" but it's still going along the basis that The Polar Express took, which was all live action with "CG enhanced imagery". During a Comic-con interview after the movie was unvieled, the director stated that it was not a CGI movie, but a movie with CGI enhancements. If I can find that clip I'll post up.

Notice I say "enhancements" though. That pretty much means that most of it will be live action, but as you said, it gives the freedom of manipulating age and time. So most of the movie will be live action (same as 300) but when they need to they can manipulate the characters the way they need to to fit the story. It's still considered a live action film, same as every other movie using the same technology.

All i'm saying is you can really tell from the trailer that the way they use CG in the movie is a far cry from what most people are used to seeing.

ubers2k
08-26-2007, 08:46 PM
All i'm saying is you can really tell from the trailer that the way they use CG in the movie is a far cry from what most people are used to seeing.

Very true. I doubt we'll see another movie like this one using this technology any time soon. It is a good example of what movies and directors might use later on. I'm still going to see it. The movie looks bad ass.

BKgen®
08-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Very true. I doubt we'll see another movie like this one using this technology any time soon. It is a good example of what movies and directors might use later on. I'm still going to see it. The movie looks bad ass.

x2 :yes:

VooDooXII
08-26-2007, 09:40 PM

:rolleyes: Semantics...you knew what I meant.

ubers2k
08-27-2007, 03:53 AM
:rolleyes: Semantics...you knew what I meant.

I know... :ninja:

:tongue1:

XanRules
08-28-2007, 12:52 AM
300 was practically completely filmed in front of a Green screen... how can you say it wasn't CGI?

I mean like leonidas and all them weren't CGI

BKgen®
11-14-2007, 07:37 AM
TTT

I can't wait to see it on friday.

JDM onlyy
11-15-2007, 03:23 PM
TTT

I can't wait to see it on friday.

x2 But I think I might see it on Saturday. Depends on my buddies. Lol

Skillet
11-15-2007, 07:44 PM
most people are only gunna go see this movie because the new "1-18-08" movie trailer will be shown prior to the movie.

magneto198
11-24-2007, 09:46 AM
i saw it, not all its cracked up to be. Very boring at parts.

punkr6
11-25-2007, 05:34 PM
i saw it, not all its cracked up to be. Very boring at parts.

X2........seen it lastnite, nice effects and it definitely raised the bar for CGI in movies, it seemed to get boring and be a little too long.

dartingd
11-26-2007, 11:27 AM
i enjoyed it, but it left the story too open for a movie that won't make enough for a sequel...i mean in the book doesn't his friend kill "angelina" at the end? nothing happened there..

Ran
11-27-2007, 08:32 AM
I give the movie a "B" rating at best. Lots of boring parts were hard to stay awake through. The movie strayed greatly from the original story, but I guess I can somewhat understand considering how random the last battle with the dragon is in the original story. Grendel looked retarded as well. I failed to see how anything in the book made Grendel appear to be a f*cking troll. I was expected some sort of Behemoth looking monster. Also, WTF was up with him just walking into the cave? Fail. He should have had to swim for whatever long time he did in the book.

The graphics were no where near what I expected. While some parts were very impressive and smooth, others were choppy, simple, and made me think I was watching the first Shrek movie. The scene with Grendel's Mother (Angelina Jolie) was about retarded, appearance wise. The first part had her super-imposed or whatever it is to give it a life-like appearance, then the next second it was completely CGI and looked like crap.

Very disappointed with the movie as a whole.

i enjoyed it, but it left the story too open for a movie that won't make enough for a sequel...i mean in the book doesn't his friend kill "angelina" at the end? nothing happened there..No

In the original story, Beowulf kills both Grendel and Grendel's Mother. Angelina's role SHOULD have ended when he first went into the cave and confronted her. The last battle with the dragon (in the original story) was just some random @ss fight that happened because Beowulf wanted to go treasure hunting.

The movie strayed heavily from the original story. I'm sure they were going for an original approach and, for what it's worth, they didn't do that horrible. Yet I still would have preferred the original story.

dartingd
11-27-2007, 11:53 AM
^^^We never had to read Beowulf in high school. It's funny because we read "The Perfect Storm". I watched the movie, never read the book, and still got an "A" on the essay for the book, lol.