PDA

View Full Version : Problem with B16a2 Transmission

Andy099
08-25-2007, 07:44 AM
I had a slight noise comming from the engine compartment area for a few weeks now. At first I thought it the rubber busted with my motor mounts that as causing the noise but it was not.

After listening to the to the noise..i narrowed it down to the transmission. The car is a 1999 Honda Civic Si with 150K. Never had a cluth replaced nor fluid replaced.

I noticed the noise which sounds like something is loose rolling around in the tranny...but i'm not quite sure if I would call it grinding. But when i pulled out in first gear you'd hear it then it goes away. I can shift and cruise in all the gears smoothly but as soon as replaced my foot off the gas petal with the car still in gear you'd hear the noise again.

I would set the car in neutral right after the noise starts up and there is no more noise and I'll just be crusing in neutral. I can shift in an out of sll gears smoothly and the does not seem like it pertain to a certin gear.

I'm hoping its the clutch/flywheel and not bad synchros...If anyone can help figure out this problem or suggest any place to have this look at let me know..thanks in advance

Andy099
08-25-2007, 05:10 PM
bump

blackshine007
08-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Sagging/ weak engine mounts FTL. Does it grind while going into gears as well?

Jordanmd88
08-25-2007, 05:27 PM
sounds like your main shaft bearings are going out.. Best to just find a used trany...

Andy099
08-25-2007, 05:54 PM
does not grind while going into gears, hopefully i don't have to replace the tranny...i'm taking it to Honda or Mr. Transmissions for a free look...any shops tomororw

changaroo
08-25-2007, 06:04 PM
possibility that your TOB (throw out bearing) is going bad? or maybe the input shaft bearing?

Andy099
08-25-2007, 10:27 PM
vuong said it may be a throw out bearing..i need to have a shop look at it..honda at it for free monand mr. transmission can look at it for free monday..anyone open tomorrow?

Hektik
01-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Bring it back form the dead!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea yea I know old as hell but I'm having similar issues so why start a whole new thread right...

1. Did you ever figure out what it was? How did you fix it.
2. My tranny is doing the same. Not a very loud noise but I can hear a rubbing(metal on metal sound) or whine (not really sure what to call it) when the car is in gear but not under load..As soon as I press on the gas it goes away.

reps to any one with useful advice...

Starrfire
01-16-2010, 07:59 AM
bearing going out. Probably the mainshaft bearing. They are actually one almost anyone could replace with a bearing puller and some common mechanical sense. Just make sure they are the same width to the "T" or you might have some problems since your dimensions would be off in your trans and it would have to be re shimmed. But i do have a transmission in my shed that shifts like butter, has no grinds but 4th gear whines while you are in it so I have a bearing going out in it.