PDA

View Full Version : who here has quit smoking

cb7
07-15-2005, 10:03 PM
does anyone have any testimonials on qiuting? i myself quit 4 years ago after smoking for 4-5 years. i quit cold turkey and consider that the best method. A thing i noticed was the nicotine acted as a fix for ADD, so when i gave up smoking, it felt like i needed ritalin (sP) again. i also gained about 25lbs, but it fell back off to normal. i still have dreams that i am smoking cigarettes. i noticed that i am more nervous as well. i am curious to others experiences on this topic.

ia13
07-15-2005, 10:20 PM
i had to quit smoking cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant. but i was almost four months when i found out. and my daughter had trouble breathing and weak lungs when she was born and had to stay in the icu nursery. so i really have no desire to smoke anymore.

Julio
07-17-2005, 12:33 AM
this smoking shit sucks... =[

quickdodgeŽ
07-17-2005, 12:57 AM
^^^ A-fucking-greed. Later, QD.

BufordŽ
07-17-2005, 07:53 PM
I concur like a moniker.

HyPer50
07-18-2005, 07:40 AM
I quit... quit smoking lol, does that count? Nahh... Longest I've got was 3 weeks. I'm planning on trying to quit again soon seeing as how the state of Georgia is trying force people from smoking outside of there homes...

verash
07-18-2005, 12:15 PM
in the bible it says smokers go to hell

Spyder
07-18-2005, 12:42 PM
in the bible it says smokers go to hell

In the bible it also says Verash should have been banned about 200 post ago.

quickdodgeŽ
07-18-2005, 01:07 PM
^^^ I can't wait for that to happen. His posts mean shit. Later, QD.

bigb996
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM
i personally hate cigs and dnot like to be around them but i am at the point now were im so used to them im like whatever. If you can quit more power to you that is really great because thats a touhg thing to do.

Tracy
07-18-2005, 02:30 PM
November will be 2 years for me. I quit cold turkey. I have had cigarettes tho since then. But it was like 1 year before I had one again. It was gross! Since then I smoke once in a while when I get really drunk. It still makes me feel like crap in the morning after I have had a cigarette. I've probably had 20 cigs since I quit. It really wasn't too bad quitting. I just used a straw to hold in my hand like a cig when I was at the bar. W I get reallyupset I still crave them, but it takes me about 1/2 a sec. to foget about the craving now.

psychodrama_81
07-18-2005, 03:21 PM
I smoked while I was in the military...but after I got out Dec 2003, I went cold turkey, and had no urge to smoke again, unless I drunk alot.....which is odd

lowjack
07-19-2005, 11:24 AM
I use to steal my mothers Kents by the pack when I was 8. Smoked for 18 Years and put them down cold turkey November 28, 1996. Main reason.... My Daughter was about to be born (Feb 1997). That gave me all the inspiration I needed. I have never looked back.

psychodrama_81
07-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Has anyone else has had the urge to smoke when they drink?

sapphire
07-19-2005, 07:51 PM
i'm currently trying to quit smoking but a really good friend of mine is trying to make me start back again by lighting things in front of me with the lighter and it's making the already hard cravings even that much harder. what should i do just kick his butt?

flysi00
07-19-2005, 09:01 PM
i stop smokeing about 6 months ago and it was the best thing i have done for me plus more money for the car

HyPer50
07-19-2005, 09:07 PM
i'm currently trying to quit smoking but a really good friend of mine is trying to make me start back again by lighting things in front of me with the lighter and it's making the already hard cravings even that much harder. what should i do just kick his butt?

no... just give in to the sweet sweet addiction of nicotine. lol

BigTs13
09-14-2005, 03:43 PM
quitting smoking was never hard for me. i started when i was 13 and i stopped when i was 18. im 20 now. when i stopped i stopped cold. it wasnt hard for me at all. i guess its just easier for some people. good luck.

silver
09-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Has anyone else has had the urge to smoke when they drink?

I used to smoke all the time.. one day, about 3 years ago, while smoking it just made me really sick and didnt pick up another one for about 10 months... got really drunk one night and smoked and didnt quit again for a while.. or until recently... For a while there while trying to quit again... I only smoked when I drank... and the downtown rocks thing that a bunch of us went to about 2 months ago was my last cig and don't have any intentions of ever picking it back up... ever...

chuck
09-14-2005, 04:10 PM
nobody likes a quitter...who wants a cigarette...lol

j/k, i've quit a month or two here and there but i pick it back up again later...its normally either out drinking, on vacation or just over stress from school or work. but i've got about 10 people who i've made swear to kick my ass if i haven't quit by 25

SwurvinIn
09-14-2005, 05:13 PM
i went from smoking a pack and a half a day for 7 yrs to cold turkey...easiest thing i ever did. woke up one morning and coughed up blood...that was it for me

i8kredlinei
09-14-2005, 10:13 PM
my uncle and my grandfather died from smoking ,my dad smoked for 30 years but he quit 5 years ago, he used to smoked marlboro reds....i tried to start but i dont like it that shit makes me sick..

SaraX5
09-14-2005, 10:29 PM
i had to quit smoking for surgery but now ive had a few since my surgery but i dont even care for it much anymore.

trythefly
09-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Its been 46 days since I quit. I am done weening myself from using a stop smoking aid today actually! Ive tried everything this time around. I guess that was my recipe for quitting. I still want one every now and then though. When my co-workers go out and have a smoke the stinch from them could gag a maggot. That makes me not even want to start back. That and my daughter is about to be born, the real reason for me quitting. I want to live old and watch my kids have kids. :)

Nochitt
10-12-2005, 02:22 AM
My old pal got me smoking about 4 years back...Just quit CT about a month ago, and the hard part for me is being around others smoking, but if noones is around smoking, my ADD MAKES me think of other stuff. My lungs are still reminding me of my old habbit every morning. Haven't had a single stick since, I had a stogey (not inhaled) and about threw up when a small stream of smoke passed into my nostrils. I'm stubborn as hell, so what I did was tell myself every time I wanted one (cigarette), that was the additives talking, that were put into the cigarettes by the EVIL companies trying to get me to continue. So in my mind I'm thinking "Fuck R J Reynolds." I WIN!

Hulud
10-12-2005, 09:29 AM
i stopped about a month ago and boy it feels great not to be controlled by the cravings

i quit cold turkey
the way i did it was when i wanted a ciggarette i chewed a piece of big red gum. cause i knew how bad the ciggs were after chewing big red.
i went one full day without smoking and then got drunk and smoked one, this was planned. i was then buzzing off the ciggarette and felt like shit so i never really truly wanted another again.

tybalt6691
10-13-2005, 07:30 AM
I quit cold turkey too, My grandfather had spots of cancer they found in he throat so that was my incentive to quit. Hes doing well now though, but cold turkey is the way to go. Strong will power baby!

Kristi
10-13-2005, 11:29 AM
i quit back in february when james and i got together. he asked me to quit and i did cold turkey.

Leisa
10-13-2005, 08:19 PM
I did cold turkey as well.. I smoked when I met Brett and our 2nd date I went to his apt and lit one up he looked at me like "wtf"... and said its either me or cigarettes, I put it out and never smoked again :)

punkr6
10-13-2005, 08:27 PM
find new friends,becouse yours suck,i quit cold turkey 6 months ago.after smoking for 16 years,i'ts hard at first but if you really want to stop u will.good luck asshole

PD code 805D
10-13-2005, 11:29 PM
omg... if you smoke a cigg after like 2 months or so of not...you feel sick as shit. I smoked since i was 15 and quit when i was 18. Ironc huh? but anyways, i smoked a couple months ago during break at GT and i almost got sick. Shit gave me the runs and diziness for like 2/3 hours.

I quit cold turkey (also my g/f broke all my packs. that shit got expensive and i love my g/f more than a smokey habbit)

CRVTech
10-15-2005, 01:16 PM
When I met my boyfriend he implied that he wanted me to quit smoking, he has asthma...but I never really honestly intended to quit. I mean, I was smoking when he met me, so why should I, right? I tried to limit smoking around him out of courtesy. But one day I was smoking and all of the sudden my heart was beating erratically and I started throwing up. It didn't have anything to do with smoking (other than it's not really good for you) but I couldn't stop associating ciggarettes with that really painful time...so I just quit. It's been over two years now.

HyPer50
10-15-2005, 01:41 PM
I didn't quit for the health benefits... Just got tired of having stains on my fingers and smelling like them all the time. lol.. Aside from that I'd love to start smoking again, but oh well, already quit so too late now.

Jaimecbr900
10-19-2005, 02:20 PM
I didn't quit for the health benefits... Just got tired of having stains on my fingers and smelling like them all the time. lol.. Aside from that I'd love to start smoking again, but oh well, already quit so too late now.

I had a similar situation. I was happy smoking. Everybody else in my family wasn't, but it wasn't a bother to me. I smoked for over 15 yrs. Real smoker, not just social smoker.

I tried the gums...didn't work. I tried the patches....worked, but I'd fall off the bandwagon rather quick. I tried the pills.....worked somewhat, but I hated how I felt so I stopped taking them.

I ended up quitting when I made a bet with my daughter, who hated me smoking anyway, that if she got all A's in school I'd quit. Lo and behold, she did. So, I did as promised and quit. Cold turkey. It's been years since that.

I still get cravings every so often, but I won't even think about cheating on that even once. I know if I do, I'll go right back to smoking again.

The patches and pills would've worked for me, had I had my heart into it. I would recommend either one if you are serious about quitting.

FaSaleen
10-21-2005, 09:21 AM
I tried to stop cold turkey with no other substitute and that didnt last long, so I got a can of Skoal and started dippin.

DaMaGe ZWK
10-29-2005, 03:07 PM
thatz what i did... i started with copenhagen, then went to skoal, then went to pouches, then went to sunflower seed... and quit all the way... i do still dream about dipping though, i miss it alot, and sometimes i will wake up with a wet spot on my pillow.. lol

IntegraXTR
10-30-2005, 11:27 AM
I stopped smoking for like 3 months, does that help? guess not considering the fact that I'm still smoking now

Crazy Asian
10-30-2005, 11:38 AM
I quit and its extremely hard cuz of all my friends. They all smoke and offer me cigs and I say to myself your only goin to hurt your heart more cuz everytime I smoke it feels like my heart is going to blow up.

IntegraXTR
10-31-2005, 07:14 PM
I quit and its extremely hard cuz of all my friends. They all smoke and offer me cigs and I say to myself your only goin to hurt your heart more cuz everytime I smoke it feels like my heart is going to blow up.

lol...blow up? never heard that one before

blurred visions
11-01-2005, 01:13 AM
On Sept. 12th I quit for good. It was a cold turkey since I just threw that last cigg down half smoked and walked away. I smoked for about 4 years, chain smoking. I joined LA fitness to help with the quitting, and hell yea it did. I can now outrun all my friends that smoke and generally beat them at most sports. My lungs fucked up bad, for the past month and a half I have been coughing up nasty shit, but I can tell its for the better.

Now I have different views on smokers that I thought I would never have.

I found this info on things that happen after you quit. Trust me, they are true. I have had better circulation and my breathing has gotten much better. I truely believe that I can outperform someone that may be bigger in size than me if they are a smoker.

2 -12 weeks later Your circulation improves greatly
3 - 9 months later Your lung function improves by up to 10%,
improving coughs, wheezes and breathing problems
1 year later Your risk of having a heart attack falls to about
half that of a smoker
10 years later Your risk of lung cancer falls to half that of a smoker
15 years later Your risk of heart attack falls to the same as
someone who has NEVER SMOKED

SEAN
11-01-2005, 01:55 AM
mind over matter...I quit cold turkey about 7 years ago after smoking the last 12 years...amazing how much better I feel and I don't miss the smell on my clothes or the horrible haze that would never leave my car windshield...you can do it...

blurred visions
11-01-2005, 11:51 AM
^ :goodjob: likewise

trythefly
11-01-2005, 12:02 PM
I quit smoking 3 months ago today. Havent had a single one either. I stopped using any aid more than 1 1/2 months ago. I still have the urge from time to time to smoke though.

I just keep telling myself I am doing this for my entire family, not just me. I want to be around when my daughters make me a grandparent. My dad would have been a grandparent for the first time last month when my daughter was born. He died from lung cancer due to smoking 4 years ago this christmas eve. His loss.

blurred visions
11-02-2005, 12:47 AM
^good job. I just love it when I walk by people at school that are smoking and you can just tell how cool they think they are. I believe that the movies have always had a big impact on portraying the cigg as something sly and mysteriously cool people do.

down_shift
11-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Stopped smoking a little over 2 yrs ago. Got a cold, smoked the rest of my pack, and after I felt better never smoked again. Cold turkey no aids. You just have to truely want to quit for yourself. Nothing matters if your mind isn't fully made up.

Dragonfly5338
11-27-2005, 11:47 PM
I concur like a moniker.

Liar. You're the only one I know whose goal it is to start smoking. I saw you light up a couple times this weekend, and who yelled at you? I did. Don't start smoking man.

I just realized I've been a smoker for 10 years. :eek: Time to seriously think about quitting, lol.

BufordŽ
11-28-2005, 03:41 AM
I just realized I've been a smoker for 10 years. :eek: Time to seriously think about quitting, lol.

I concur like a moniker.

kelly marie
11-28-2005, 10:35 AM
i quit!! its been over two and a half weeks now.. i feel great!!

Kristi
11-28-2005, 11:15 AM
go kelly! congrats! i quit for 8.5 months but just started up again

kelly marie
11-28-2005, 12:51 PM
thanks kristi... i dont know why you started up again!! dont do itttttttttt!!!

BufordŽ
11-28-2005, 12:56 PM
go kelly! congrats! i quit for 8.5 months but just started up again

You quitting quitter!

Kristi
11-28-2005, 01:16 PM
thanks kristi... i dont know why you started up again!! dont do itttttttttt!!!
ehhh, some things have stressed me out lately (medically) and i just needed a cigarette. i will be quitting again soon - i will have to.

Mike
11-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Stopped smoking a little over 2 yrs ago. Got a cold, smoked the rest of my pack, and after I felt better never smoked again. Cold turkey no aids. You just have to truely want to quit for yourself. Nothing matters if your mind isn't fully made up.

:goodjob: well said...i def. believe that if your mind is fully made up, quiting is not even a problem

Ms Dollar
11-29-2005, 03:04 PM
the longest i have been able to go is like a week or two...everytime that i try to quit i get really emotional, and that makes chuck mad, and either i break down and buy more, or he buys them for me...he doesn't bitch at me about it anymore, we've been together almost 2 years and i didn't smoke when we first got together but we broke up for like a month and i started back then(i had smoked and quit before we got together the first time)...cold turkey doesn't work unless you actually want to quit...you have to quit for yourself not for someone else.

blurred visions
11-30-2005, 01:56 AM
..you have to quit for yourself not for someone else.

true, but you can use other people as your motivation.

kelly marie
11-30-2005, 10:29 AM
^ agreed... none of my friends smoke.. so when we would go out i was the only person smoking... it got to the point where i was used to not doing it around everyone... i was ready to quit so i talked to my doctor... i had heard that wellbutron was an aid to stop.. so i got on it and after about a week my urges weakend.. then once i ran out of ciggs i just never bought anymore... (and i was a regular smoker)

i still have the urge every once and awhile but i wont let myself give in... i feel great now that i quit and i thank my friends for being so supportive through my ordeal... i still get kinda bitchy sometimes but they know why...

rnd2000
12-04-2005, 06:48 AM
I quit cold turkey and became abscent minded and nervous at times the problem was just findind another vise or stress reliever. a stress ball or even picking up on regular exercise helped me out

Jin
12-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Nicorettes helping me out some..

Ive quit before cold turkey and it lasted roughly a year. Its all mental

IntegraXTR
12-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Nicorettes helping me out some..

Ive quit before cold turkey and it lasted roughly a year. Its all mental

it is a mental thing, but I'm still trying to quit myself, today is day 2 for me...