PDA

View Full Version : Where's the freedom of speech?

ruah_23
07-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Two St. Louis disc jockeys suspended ST. LOUIS (AP) — Two hip-hop radio personalities have been suspended for an on-air discussion of ways to fight police officers — comments made not long after an officer was slain.
Officials at KATZ-FM would not detail the comments, but said the remarks made on Wednesday related to ways to hurt or disarm police officers.

The two suspended disc jockeys, whose professional names are DJ Kaos and DJ Sylli Asz, were discussing with callers on their morning show how to fight for an officer's radio so he or she cannot call for help, the station said.

Lee Clear, general manager of the station, apologized for the comments, calling them "entirely inappropriate."

The radio personalities, whose real names were not immediately available, also apologized.

Clear noted that the station's owner, Clear Channel Communications, had just used its stations to ask the public for information to help find the killer of Sgt. William McEntee, who was fatally shot July 5 in the St. Louis suburb of Kirkwood. A suspect has been arrested.

"We just buried an officer last week," St. Louis Police Chief Joe Mokwa said. "Nobody wants to hear some comic remark about disarming a police officer and taking their radio away so they can't get help. That was outrageous."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Kristi
07-15-2005, 11:51 AM
they shouldnt do that because they are telling people how to hurt cops - you can't do that.

kilpatty43
07-15-2005, 11:52 AM
i agree with the suspension...they shouldnt be telling people shit like that...too many police officers are injured and killed bc of stupid shit...

Spyder
07-15-2005, 11:54 AM
I hate clear channel and the FCC. im glad that they havent gotten their grubby little paws on XM yet. once they do i will never again listen to brodcast music.

4dmin
07-15-2005, 12:25 PM
satlite radio :goodjob:

quickdodge®
07-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Yeah, that's what XM is, isn't it. I never turn mine off in the Bruick. Later, QD.

99ITRGIRL
07-15-2005, 03:51 PM
I agree, they did deserve what they got

JoeCoolinATL
07-15-2005, 06:44 PM
i dont see the bad news here? to jackasses got what they deserved?
hows that bad

verash
07-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Ok, Heres the point imo. If you do not agree with me. Shut up

HEATON
07-16-2005, 05:15 AM
thats kinda like the DJ from DC who said something like thats why they dragg themm after playing Lauren Hill and after the Jasper, Tx incident.

Julio
07-16-2005, 08:26 AM
that shit is ghey.. Clear channel has been on thin ICE over the past few years anyways.. But still this is stupid.

David88vert
07-16-2005, 08:33 AM
The radio station has the right to free speech. The DJ's are employees. They agreed to abide by the company's rules when they got hired. The company has the right to suspend or fire them.

If they owned their own radio station, they could say what they wanted - legally.

babygurl
07-16-2005, 09:48 AM
i agree with the suspension....freedom of speech wasnt intended on explaining how to hurt people....

ruah_23
07-16-2005, 10:50 PM
The radio station has the right to free speech. The DJ's are employees. They agreed to abide by the company's rules when they got hired. The company has the right to suspend or fire them.

If they owned their own radio station, they could say what they wanted - legally.

that's interesting

Brett
07-16-2005, 10:54 PM
I agree that they should have been taken off the air

JITB
07-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Thst stupid and a waste of time. They talk about how to sell drugs - kill ppl - make drugs - eat pussy - suck dick etc on the radio.

JoeCoolinATL
07-17-2005, 01:44 PM
the thing is tho, people have freedom of speech. that is in a public forum.
the radio station is a privately owned business. thus you do not have free speech. anything deemed unworthy to the aspect of the business can get you fired. as seen here.
its not a freedom of speech issue its a pissing off your owner and getting fired issue.