PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods which turbo should i get?!?

boosted1jz
07-15-2005, 10:55 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7986928771&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7986794104&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

or should i just keep the T-62???

chris

Spyder
07-15-2005, 10:57 AM
were you serious about the T-100? lol..

Jaimecbr900
07-15-2005, 11:03 AM
^^^ I was thinking the same thing. The first one you'd need a Mack truck to be able to do anything with. It'd be incredibly laggy otherwise.

The second one doesn't sound too much different than what you already have.

Question? Why don't you just get a Garrett GT series which is about the same price as those two? For a little more, you could even get a ball bearing one of the same series.

Spyder
07-15-2005, 11:09 AM
^^^ I was thinking the same thing. The first one you'd need a Mack truck to be able to do anything with. It'd be incredibly laggy otherwise.

The second one doesn't sound too much different than what you already have.

Question? Why don't you just get a Garrett GT series which is about the same price as those two? For a little more, you could even get a ball bearing one of the same series.

its more like atleast 400ish more then the 2nd one he posted.. but, it spools faster, make a better power curve and is Garrett so you know it will actually last a long time. for someone that is serious about power i agree with Jamie that the GT turbos are great.

for me personally.. 500rpm of lag and about 2 less hp isnt worth the difference in expense.

Marta Mike
07-15-2005, 11:48 AM
just curious what all do u have done to your motor? I know you gotta fat turbo but thats bout all i know?

boosted1jz
07-15-2005, 12:04 PM
^^ its a fully built engine, cryo treated complete engine, ceramic coated pistons, lower compression pistons, clevitte 77 bearings, balanced and blue-printed bottom end.. with ARP head studs, main studs, rod bolts and flywheel bolts.... top end has 1mm over sized valves, 3 angle valve job, 13,000 rpm valve springs, all titanium valve train, port matched and polished intake and exhaust ports, JUN 264/272 cams, JUN lightweight flywheel with a HPF feramic clutch and ACT pressure plate... custom 31X12X4 intercooler.... custom turbo manifold and hardpipes, Apex-i GT 3-3.5in catback exhaust, test pipe and custom DP, dual walbro 255 fuel pumps, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 850cc injectors, for now a s-afc II for tuning till i can afford a standalone unit

that about sums it up

chris

Marta Mike
07-15-2005, 12:18 PM
damn sounds hot. Ok well ill give u the go. Personally id work the suspesion department and keep the 62.

Spyder
07-15-2005, 12:33 PM
^^ its a fully built engine, cryo treated complete engine, ceramic coated pistons, lower compression pistons, clevitte 77 bearings, balanced and blue-printed bottom end.. with ARP head studs, main studs, rod bolts and flywheel bolts.... top end has 1mm over sized valves, 3 angle valve job, 13,000 rpm valve springs, all titanium valve train, port matched and polished intake and exhaust ports, JUN 264/272 cams, JUN lightweight flywheel with a HPF feramic clutch and ACT pressure plate... custom 31X12X4 intercooler.... custom turbo manifold and hardpipes, Apex-i GT 3-3.5in catback exhaust, test pipe and custom DP, dual walbro 255 fuel pumps, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 850cc injectors, for now a s-afc II for tuning till i can afford a standalone unit

that about sums it up

chris

hell yes, unfortunatly even with all that a thumper would be SO laggy it wouldnt ever make useable power. what are your current turbo specs?

a T100 doesnt normally come into play until you are making a drag only large displacement setup..

the standalone will make a hell of a difference in that car. i would spend the money on that or (as was mentioned) suspension.

boosted1jz
07-15-2005, 01:27 PM
i was jk on the T100.......

i forgot to mention i also have a nitrous express 50shop just to spool the turbo :D and i might branch it so i can also use the NOS for IC cooler

i have a ok setup on the suspention, H&R springs and koni yellows, next is a track bar, i am also putting a 8 point cage in the car for a lil mroe stability.... and so its legal at the track if i break 11s or 12s or whatever the rule is....

im not tooooo worried about weight anymore since its a 3500lbs car its all about the power :D

Repost Squintz
07-15-2005, 01:27 PM
stand alone

Jaimecbr900
07-15-2005, 01:29 PM
its more like atleast 400ish more then the 2nd one he posted.. but, it spools faster, make a better power curve and is Garrett so you know it will actually last a long time. for someone that is serious about power i agree with Jamie that the GT turbos are great.

Nah bud, you can get them for around that price on the net. Yes, you can go nuts with it, but you don't really have to.

Here you go, just examples:

http://www.turbocalculator.com/sale-garrett-gt.php
http://www.turbocalculator.com/sale-garrett.php

I can't remember where else a buddy of mine showed me, but I remember he showed me a couple of net shops that had them from like $650 to about $1000 for the mack daddy ball bearing ones.

for me personally.. 500rpm of lag and about 2 less hp isnt worth the difference in expense.

You mean in the diff between ball bearing and non????

Spyder
07-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Nah bud, you can get them for around that price on the net. Yes, you can go nuts with it, but you don't really have to.

Here you go, just examples:

http://www.turbocalculator.com/sale-garrett-gt.php
http://www.turbocalculator.com/sale-garrett.php

I can't remember where else a buddy of mine showed me, but I remember he showed me a couple of net shops that had them from like $650 to about $1000 for the mack daddy ball bearing ones.

You mean in the diff between ball bearing and non????

Take a look at the turbo he would need to make the same power as the first one he posted (as he has now mentioned the T100 was a joke) that will take ATLEAST a GT35R which is 1699 on that site, so 800 more then the one he posted at "buy it now" price. Not including shipping (cause i know youll pick on that :tongue: )

And yes there is a minimal difference in the peak power made by a ball bearing turbo compared to a non ball bearing. The difference is the power "under the curve" because the ball bearing spools so much faster. The larger the turbo the more of a difference it will make that is true..

Jaimecbr900
07-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Take a look at the turbo he would need to make the same power as the first one he posted (as he has now mentioned the T100 was a joke) that will take ATLEAST a GT35R which is 1699 on that site, so 800 more then the one he posted at "buy it now" price. Not including shipping (cause i know youll pick on that :tongue: )

But remember, he's not going to be driving around town with 700 HP on a SAFC with that big of injectors on such a built motor. He can probably make 1000 HP if he wanted to with a mondo turbo, but it be a drag only car then.

I was summizing that he was looking realistically at something like 500 HP to play with. At that level, some of the smaller GT turbos will do just fine. But you are right, you can go all the way to the mack daddy turbos for a lot more money. I wish I could find that website again where a buddy of mine showed me the GT turbos at. I swear they were priced from those prices.

And yes there is a minimal difference in the peak power made by a ball bearing turbo compared to a non ball bearing. The difference is the power "under the curve" because the ball bearing spools so much faster. The larger the turbo the more of a difference it will make that is true..

True.

I also heard that sometimes ball bearing turbos have a little more shaft play than non ball bearing ones.

boosted1jz
07-15-2005, 02:23 PM
any1 know where i can get my T62 rebuilt for a good price??? i have tried contacting turbodave but he has still yet to get back to me... and i need this turbo done sooooon
thats y i am thinkin bout just buying a new turbo

chris

Spyder
07-15-2005, 02:27 PM
A GT35R is only good to "600" advertised hp. that normally equates into about 525ish whp after a decent tune... have people gotten more? yes. but that is staying within the efficency of the turbo and not just "blowing hot air"

he could technically step down to the GT30R which can produce "500" hp.. but then he is getting back into the realm of "why even upgrade" because the turbo he has now should be close to that once it is properly tuned.

none the less i think a standalone is a MUCH better way to spend the same amount of money at this time.

boosted1jz
07-15-2005, 02:28 PM
also, my car will be daily/track driven... kinda since i have a Daily driver truck :D

while i have the s-afc II i will be running 550cc injectors, the s-afc will support the 850's but it will be maxxing the afc out, plus it just doesnt have the map parameters that a standalone has... with that being said

i am looking to make around 600-800 hp when on full boost, around town i will be at like 10psi

chris

boosted1jz
07-15-2005, 02:31 PM
got 1 more question for u other turbo guys.....

have you ever heard of master power turbos????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7985321906&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1

i saw this 1 and its a cheap price, and i know 99% of the time u get what you paid for but this looks like a decent turbo

Spyder
07-15-2005, 02:32 PM
any1 know where i can get my T62 rebuilt for a good price??? i have tried contacting turbodave but he has still yet to get back to me... and i need this turbo done sooooon
thats y i am thinkin bout just buying a new turbo

chris

so the truth comes out! lol..

yea there is a place in atlanta that can do it.. i cant remember the name, send HiPSI a PM he had one of his done there..

or you could buy a GT37 or GT40 off of that site Jamie posted..

garrett turbos > *

Spyder
07-15-2005, 02:39 PM
got 1 more question for u other turbo guys.....

have you ever heard of master power turbos????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7985321906&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1

i saw this 1 and its a cheap price, and i know 99% of the time u get what you paid for but this looks like a decent turbo

well that is a twin scroll design with a V-band discharge... i have heard of a few people having really good luck with them actually.. but they only drag race with them so that doesnt say anything about the longevity of the turbo.

Spyder
07-15-2005, 02:43 PM
also, my car will be daily/track driven... kinda since i have a Daily driver truck :D

while i have the s-afc II i will be running 550cc injectors, the s-afc will support the 850's but it will be maxxing the afc out, plus it just doesnt have the map parameters that a standalone has... with that being said

i am looking to make around 600-800 hp when on full boost, around town i will be at like 10psi

chris
if you were to run 850's with a SAFC you would prolly be ok on the fuel side the problem is that you would be "fooling" the ECU by so much it would be giving you like 40 degrees of timing under boost lol.

stop messing around and get a stand alone. it isnt just a "minor" difference. it is huge. everyting from idle to WOT any injectors and any turbo.. but im sure you know all that..

AznTraitor
07-15-2005, 02:52 PM
look, you bitches are still talking small potato's...

http://pics.maunier.org/big_turbo.jpg

once you get one of these under your hood, then I might be impressed.

boosted1jz
07-15-2005, 02:57 PM
i do plan on getting a standalone.... but i dont have $2000 sitting around right now :( i could get a map ecu but still all it is is a s-afc with a few more points of tuning the fuel....

and pete, that lil thing wouldnt spool up my t-62!!!! that lil turbo is 4 sissy's

AznTraitor
07-15-2005, 02:59 PM
i do plan on getting a standalone.... but i dont have $2000 sitting around right now :( i could get a map ecu but still all it is is a s-afc with a few more points of tuning the fuel....

and pete, that lil thing wouldnt spool up my t-62!!!! that lil turbo is 4 sissy's

carkuff, just think, we can do some custom piping and mount this in the back hatch....I mean, rear view mirrors are over-rated and you'd always hear the turbo spooling, just be sure to not wear a hat, because it'd probably get sucked into the turbines.

boosted1jz
07-15-2005, 03:10 PM
LOL yea...... i could get a suck job every day from the turbo... problem is, is that there isnt 150miles of strait in the atlanta area for me to be able to spool that turbo

WINDSOR
07-15-2005, 04:31 PM
What is the displacement of your engine? Its a 1jz so its 2.5 litres right? Master power turbos are good turbos. I ran one of their T4 based T70s on my mustang for a while and had no problems with it. I run a ball bearing Turbonetics T-76 on it now. Hell i think a MP T-70 with the T4 and .68 a/r would work great on a 1jz.

I wouldn't put the GT45 on a supra unless it was really a drag only car. Rush has one on his car and to me its a little laggy. The turbine is 1.05 a/r and the turbine is pretty large for a smallish 2.5L-3.0L engine.

boosted1jz
07-15-2005, 04:59 PM
^^ how long did you run that MP turbo??

i think imma stick with the T62 for the most part, just gotta find some1 to rebuild it thats all

chris

Spyder
07-15-2005, 05:00 PM

i think imma stick with the T62 for the most part, just gotta find some1 to rebuild it thats all

chris

did you send to HiPSI? i think the name of the place was like majestic turbo or some gheyness.. they are in atlanta or forrest park i belive.

WINDSOR
07-15-2005, 05:04 PM

chris

only a few months but the guy i sold it to has been running it for a while now with no problems. The only place i know around ATL that rebuilds turbos is Diesel engineering down in the southside. I think thats where hi-psi had his rebuilt.

Spyder
07-15-2005, 05:08 PM
only a few months but the guy i sold it to has been running it for a while now with no problems. The only place i know around ATL that rebuilds turbos is Diesel engineering down in the southside. I think thats where hi-psi had his rebuilt.

Yep i think thats it, majestic is the place in alabama he got the last one that gernaded on him.. i cant remember that man has gone thru some turbos with all the various cars..

flysi00
07-15-2005, 05:11 PM
man just get a t25 turbo and u will make 1,200 rwhp lol j/p i would just stay with the t62

boosted1jz
07-15-2005, 05:28 PM
diesel injections wanted something like $700 to rebuild my turbo, i could get a new 1 fot that LOL

chris

and yes i ocntacted hipsi, but havent gotten a response yet..... probably cause hes not near his comp lol

BufordŽ
07-15-2005, 08:44 PM

that about sums it up

chris

Lies! All liiiiiies! Don't forget the big TYPE R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Naaaah, kinda mean?

Just fuckin' with you.! lol.

Jaimecbr900
07-15-2005, 09:23 PM
This is a cool thread. Props to everyone for talking like normal car guys. Keep it up. :goodjob:

boosted1jz
07-15-2005, 10:02 PM
yes! thankyou for you guys's( is this a word?) help!!! and for keeping it on track!

after some debate about it, and thinking it over, i am leaning to this turbo http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7986794104&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT or staying with the T62, they both seem to be about the same, i seriously doubt that garrett will do 700 but it might ?!?!

chris