PDA

View Full Version : Misc Dog training

BigBoi
07-15-2005, 01:43 AM
anyone know of good places to get a dog trained? Also wondering if one on one training is better then being in a class with other dogs? or does it not matter? I live near Fayetteville,so somewhere in that vacinity.

thanks

Nittanys1
07-15-2005, 01:54 AM
im taking my dog to pet smart and he has been to one class and is already doing good....lol...they offer classes with other dogs of one on one...oh and a few different levels of training. Im in the puppy training one right now...

SwiftGTiRacer
07-15-2005, 03:18 AM
how much does that PetSmart training corse cost? I'm not really worried abotu my dog sitting when i say sit and etc. I just want him to listen, not shit in the house, and to not bark when i'm gone.

Swifty

HyPer50
07-15-2005, 08:34 AM
You dont need training for that, this will suffice = P
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/aloha312/dya_3brianhitspeter.gif

Nittanys1
07-15-2005, 09:10 AM
100 for 8 weeks

BigBoi
07-15-2005, 09:46 AM
yeah, i knew petsmart did training.. just wasnt too sure on how good they were. I'd like to hear more feedback from you as you take the classes. Thanks man

Dragonfly5338
07-15-2005, 11:32 AM
I did the Petsmart training with both of my dogs in Alpharetta, and it was great. It depends on what trainer I get, I would assume, though. If you don't like the person they've hired there, ask your vet about some local dog trainers, they always have a list of people.

DreamerTheresa
07-15-2005, 02:17 PM
I went to the Atlanta Dogwood Obedience Group in Chamblee. WONDERFUL people, and they know what they're doing.

edit: Maybe I should say that I took my dog there.... rather than I went there.... whatever. ;)

MSTANGSALEEN
07-15-2005, 06:26 PM
My wife is a vet and she worked at petsmart once in the pet training dept and she said they sucked. She has a dog that knows over 60 tricks. Examples. Sit,,lay,,,speak,,chase the cat,,say I LOVE YOU,shake with both paws high and low fives with both paws,dance,play dead,,cover your ears,,cover your face,,cover your mouth,get the mail from the mailbox and close the lid of the mailbox,open doors, and much more. I just cant remember all of them.

Nittanys1
07-15-2005, 11:32 PM
does he flush the toilet too?

SwiftGTiRacer
07-16-2005, 09:22 AM
i'm not worried about tricks. i just want my dog to be obidient. i don't want it barking while i'm at work, pissing in the house, or chewing up everything i own.

Swifty

HyPer50
07-16-2005, 12:28 PM
i'm not worried about tricks. i just want my dog to be obidient. i don't want it barking while i'm at work, pissing in the house, or chewing up everything i own.

Swifty

Maybe just check out "obedience school" i know there's several of those around.

svbproductions
07-16-2005, 03:55 PM
These guys are off roswell road, they are great.

http://www.cpt-training.com/

MSTANGSALEEN
07-16-2005, 06:04 PM
My dog, Rocko, is advanced obedience trained as well as agility, AND all of thise tricks.

MSTANGSALEEN
07-16-2005, 07:34 PM
CPT training is pretty expensive.

Julio
07-16-2005, 08:14 PM
seems like a waste of time to me...if you cant train your dog ,, then you shouldnt have one,,, meaning your not spending enough time with the pup... just my 2 pennies...

HyPer50
07-16-2005, 08:22 PM
seems like a waste of time to me...if you cant train your dog ,, then you shouldnt have one,,, meaning your not spending enough time with the pup... just my 2 pennies...

Well... I take care of my dogs, and love on em and shit... but man when a new person comes over, my boston terrier damn near tackles and rapes them.. I never tried training them, but I dont know if I agree with, "if you can't train them you shouldn't own them".

DreamerTheresa
07-17-2005, 09:53 AM

Some dogs are far more intense and need more training. Besides... goine to training classes with your dog IS spending time with them. And it gives the dog the socialization it needs to be a good animal.

The Ren
07-17-2005, 10:22 PM
DO NOT go to petsmart... I can give you some names of a few guys i recommend or the guy who is working on my dog.. although he is in conyers he is awsome

BigBoi
07-17-2005, 10:54 PM

Well this being my first dog, I'm just looking for some guidance and help from an experienced person. I disagree that I'm not spending enough time with my dog. I play with her when I get off of work and try to do some training with her, then take her on a walk where I am also trying to train her.. both on the leash and just regular commands. As said above, not every dog is the same. Not all have the same backgrounds as far as previous owners, or in my dog's case, not being around their mother and littermates long enough from being abandoned, which give them different temperments (Sp?), let alone different breeds are different.

I'm no expert, and im not trying to act like one, just looking for help.

svbproductions
07-19-2005, 09:40 AM
CPT training is pretty expensive.

It is only 18.75 a class. What other prices have you gotten?

trythefly
07-19-2005, 12:33 PM
I just train mine myself and get the respect from them for it.

:)

Crowml
07-29-2005, 07:31 AM
If you live near Fayetteville call Bark Busters at home training. Cel# 770-616-5906

It's expensive but it's at home training taylored to your specific needs. Otherwise go with Fayette County Training done by the recreation dept. Call 770-716-4320

Also, PM what you drive. I'm local.

Crowml
07-29-2005, 07:36 AM
as to the notion of time and training. Here's the nitty. Time is essential but not everything. True training is not as easy as most of us would like to think. 75% of the training our pets recieve is subcouncious as we are constantly trying to mold our animals behavior even when we're unaware we are praising or reprimanding. Training at a Petsmart level is simple trick training, good for some people but generally not enough. True training is known as Behavior modification/therapy and involves tailoring the animal to your needs. This is done on a 1 on 1 with your family, so that the dog can be molded to your specific needs (children, special needs, other pets, etc...) If you truly want a lifelong perfect animal, I suggest this is the route you take. Otherwise why did you get a dog?

However if you're content with your pet the way he is, then more power to you. After all this is all about your requirements of the dog. So if you're happy with what you got, thumbs up.