PDA

View Full Version : "Drowned" man turns up alive 12 yrs later

BigBoi
07-15-2005, 01:16 AM
SAINT HELENS, Ore. - The story would read like a good movie script if it wasn't all true: a businessman and father of three heads out for a day of fishing, never to return.

The police cannot find a body or solve the case, and eventually they file a death certificate. His business fails, his wife remarries, the kids grow up, his family moves on.

Then, 12 years later, the missing man turns up alive and well.

But this is no movie, and now a family, police and the people who lost their jobs when Rick McCullah disappeared want some answers.

People in Saint Helens first realized that something was strange when McCullah was named as a surviving relative in his father's obituary.

A former employee of McCullah read the obituary and contacted the St. Helens Chronicle newspaper to let them know they had made a mistake. Rick McCullah was dead. Or at least he was assumed to be dead.

The newspaper then contacted the family to confirm the information, only to be told that Rick McCullah was indeed alive and living in Idaho. The Chronicle then broke the story in a front-page article.

Last year, McCullah contacted his sister. Perhaps suffering from a guilty conscience, he asked her to contact his wife, now remarried, in a bid to catch up with his family. His sister had always kept in touch with his wife. Janet McCullah had changed her name and moved to California with the couple's kids.

Upon hearing the news that Rick was still alive, his now ex-wife contacted the Columbia County Sheriff's Office to inform them of Rick's whereabouts.

But the police told her that while laws may have been broken, the statute of limitations had run out, and there was nothing they could do.

However, questions remain: why did he pull the disappearing act? What has he been doing in the decade since the infamous fishing trip?

Source : http://www.katu.com/stories/78352.html

99ITRGIRL
07-15-2005, 02:00 AM
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nittanys1
07-15-2005, 02:04 AM
dman man...i wanna know why he left too

Brett
07-15-2005, 06:33 AM
Proably left to escape bills or he had a GF he left his wife for

Kristi
07-15-2005, 08:34 AM
damn, now i wanna know the rest....

green91
07-15-2005, 09:35 AM
thats cool as hell, i wanna pull a 12 yr disappearance

Jaimecbr900
07-15-2005, 09:54 AM
It still baffles me how somebody can simply cut all ties, especially with their own children, and never look back.

I will never understand how people do that.

Repost Squintz
07-15-2005, 09:59 AM
It still baffles me how somebody can simply cut all ties, especially with their own children, and never look back.

agreed.

Spyder
07-15-2005, 10:02 AM

he did look back... it just took him 12 years to do it lol.

jdmlude
07-15-2005, 10:10 AM
so wtf happened?

Jaimecbr900
07-15-2005, 10:18 AM
he did look back... it just took him 12 years to do it lol.

Right, but even that doesn't register with me.

There are quite a few things that do that to me. I just can't phathom someone with even an ounce of conscience being able to simply walk away from their own children/family. They have to know that is going to cause their family all kinds of heartache and pain. The only way that someone could do that IMO is if they are simply selfish.

That's why the whole "Runaway Bride" thing made me particularly mad. People that do things like this are all about themselves. If they truly were trying to do these things for "their family's well being", they'd get a fat insurance policy and then go jump off a bridge somewhere. THEN you could say you did it for someone else. :rolleyes:

Spyder
07-15-2005, 10:25 AM

There are quite a few things that do that to me. I just can't phathom someone with even an ounce of conscience being able to simply walk away from their own children/family. They have to know that is going to cause their family all kinds of heartache and pain. The only way that someone could do that IMO is if they are simply selfish.

That's why the whole "Runaway Bride" thing made me particularly mad. People that do things like this are all about themselves. If they truly were trying to do these things for "their family's well being", they'd get a fat insurance policy and then go jump off a bridge somewhere. THEN you could say you did it for someone else. :rolleyes:

some people are a little slow.. lol. i hear what you mean :)

girly_typeR
07-15-2005, 10:38 AM
how strange

The Ren
07-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Thats some fucked up shit..

Kristi
07-15-2005, 11:53 AM
i couldn't ever do anything like that. it kills me going a day without talking to my family

Marta Mike
07-15-2005, 12:34 PM

I totally agree. How could you forget everything that you have ever known and just leave. Especially children. Ive never been able to see how a man could leave, disown, or just forget about his own child. If you man enough to have sex, u need to be man enough to take care of your own blood.
And that dumb runaway bride, that shit pissed me off too. I watched the interview that she did. omg, fucking rediculous. She tried so hard to cry, the she claimed it was either she was gonna leave or pop some pills. Eh shoulda popped the pills