PDA

View Full Version : Quick emissions question

gtikid
08-18-2007, 12:31 PM
I've already asked this question but i'm posting it here b/c I need some quick responses.

I bought a new car and the car will pass emissions with the current motor. I'm gonna pull that motor out and I know the car will NOT pass emissions with the other motor in it. However, my birthday is withing a month, Sept. 22. If I do the emissions now, such as today, can I use that emission to register my car? Or if I get my emissions done now, will I have to register my car, then do emissions again to renew it?

I got some answers in my other thread but we're still not clear on it. Thanks for any help :goodjob:

SLo_MKIII
08-18-2007, 12:36 PM
i think dont qoute me on this tho... its only good for 30 days well atleast in cobb i believe

Psycho
08-18-2007, 12:58 PM
I've already asked this question but i'm posting it here b/c I need some quick responses.

I bought a new car and the car will pass emissions with the current motor. I'm gonna pull that motor out and I know the car will NOT pass emissions with the other motor in it. However, my birthday is withing a month, Sept. 22. If I do the emissions now, such as today, can I use that emission to register my car? Or if I get my emissions done now, will I have to register my car, then do emissions again to renew it?

I got some answers in my other thread but we're still not clear on it. Thanks for any help :goodjob:
So then, you're planning to pull the motor out every year to pass your emissions?:thinking:

Back when I had my WRX, I could still pass emissions with out any cats because of my engine management (ECUtek). As long as you don't throw any codes (check engine lights) for 0 catalyst efficientcy, you should be fine. As long as you have an OBD II vehicle, they won't hook the sniffer up to your exhaust.

AnclyT
08-18-2007, 01:01 PM
i always thought emissions lasts about 6-10 months

gtikid
08-18-2007, 01:15 PM
So then, you're planning to pull the motor out every year to pass your emissions?:thinking:

Back when I had my WRX, I could still pass emissions with out any cats because of my engine management (ECUtek). As long as you don't throw any codes (check engine lights) for 0 catalyst efficientcy, you should be fine. As long as you have an OBD II vehicle, they won't hook the sniffer up to your exhaust.

Hell no. I bought the car with a stock motor. Who wants to keep a stock motor in a Honda? :no:

I have an OBD1 car right now and it's a lot easier to get that to pass. Hell i'd prefer to have the sniffer inserted. There's not an engine management out there for a Honda that'll clear the codes like ECUtek and Cobb do :no: At least not that I know of.

gtikid
08-18-2007, 01:17 PM
i always thought emissions lasts about 6-10 months

That's what I thought too. But when I get to do my emissions, the person at the emission place told me that they'd probably make me do it again next month since i'd have to renew the tag. But then someone else made a good point and told me I could do my tag all the way through 08 since it's only a month before my birthday. I already got the notice in the mail for me to renew the tag on my other car, and it's a month before my bday, so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to register my car all the way through '08

3.5altman
08-18-2007, 03:53 PM
hey homie do it before u pull the motor, emission test are good for six months! U got some more questions hit me up i know alot about that stuff since I had to wait 2 months to pass

RandomGuy
08-18-2007, 04:07 PM
nah dude

WHENEVER YOU REGISTER OR RENEW YOUR TAG YOU NEED A NEW EMISSIONS REPORT WITH IT, NO EXCEPTIONS

I reregistered my starion in january"bought it again" lolol (after a period of non running) lol... so my tag expired in May... i figured the insurance would last for at least 6 months, which is what someone told me... but thats not true... EVERY TIME YOU RENEW OR REGISTER you need a report... unless if you do it by mail.... or something

blackshine007
08-18-2007, 04:08 PM

Why don't you go up to an emissions shop and ask them. In fact, take the whole car with you.

EmminoDaGreat
08-18-2007, 05:08 PM
An emissions cert is good for 1 year. You can use it. I just got mine done, so i can use it next year. i do it all the time :D

gtikid
08-18-2007, 06:34 PM
hey homie do it before u pull the motor, emission test are good for six months! U got some more questions hit me up i know alot about that stuff since I had to wait 2 months to pass

That's why I haven't swapped the motor yet homie! Read the post :lmfao:

gtikid
08-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Why don't you go up to an emissions shop and ask them. In fact, take the whole car with you.

That's what I thought too. But when I get to do my emissions, the person at the emission place told me that they'd probably make me do it again next month since i'd have to renew the tag. But then someone else made a good point and told me I could do my tag all the way through 08 since it's only a month before my birthday. I already got the notice in the mail for me to renew the tag on my other car, and it's a month before my bday, so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to register my car all the way through '08

:goodjob: I did, and didn't get a complete answer, so I figured someone on here would know.

gtikid
08-18-2007, 06:40 PM
An emissions cert is good for 1 year. You can use it. I just got mine done, so i can use it next year. i do it all the time :D

I heard :lmfao:

It's good for one year but then i've been hearing a lot that it's only good for one registration OR one renewal, kinda like what Randomguy said. That's why I haven't done it yet.

But then based on what you said, I could get it done now and register the car in September before my birthday right :thinking: The thing is that I haven't got the title signed over into my name yet. O well it doesn't matter now. I'll just wait 4 days and go register it on the 22nd and swap the motor over some other time...

Tinton
08-18-2007, 09:11 PM
nah dude

WHENEVER YOU REGISTER OR RENEW YOUR TAG YOU NEED A NEW EMISSIONS REPORT WITH IT, NO EXCEPTIONS

I reregistered my starion in january"bought it again" lolol (after a period of non running) lol... so my tag expired in May... i figured the insurance would last for at least 6 months, which is what someone told me... but thats not true... EVERY TIME YOU RENEW OR REGISTER you need a report... unless if you do it by mail.... or something

Not really? I just bought a car and the emissions was still good on it. The previous owners renewed the emissions and registration and stuff back in January. When I went to register it now it said that the emissions were still good from back in January, I didn't even need a sheet of paper.

Psycho
08-19-2007, 03:14 AM
There's not an engine management out there for a Honda that'll clear the codes like ECUtek and Cobb do :no: At least not that I know of.
Then maybe you should do an EJ257 swap instead. :crazy:

Nah, I'm playing. That much awesome-ness can't be contained in a Honda chassis. The car would explode the minute you put the two in the same room.

TheProfiteer
08-19-2007, 03:41 AM
nah dude

hah thats bullshit, I know because I just registered a car whos previous registration expires Dec 07 so what does that mean that means the guy who had it before me did emissions last year and I just registered the car TODAY and did not have any form of emissions paperwork Just, title and insurance.

Hektik
08-19-2007, 07:04 AM
mutherfucker I already told you get the emmisions and get the car registered thru 08 or go ahead and pay the extra and register it through 09

3.5altman
08-19-2007, 11:28 AM
damn i should of did that, cause i dont think im passing next year

scttydb411
08-19-2007, 12:16 PM
isn't this the same question from last week? i posted up the quote from the ga clean air force.

cliffs:
if you buy a car and the emissions was w/in the past year you can register the car w/ that emissions.

if you got an emissions done and used it to re-register your car you cannot use it again to re-register your car a second time. a new owner can use it to register it as in the above statement.

they recommend you go to get your emissions 30-60 days prior to your re-registration date (birthday). you have to ask for exceptions on an emissions that is more than 60 days old if you are planning on using it for re-registration purposes on a car you already own.

google georgia clean air force to answer/clairify all your questions to avoid the "my brother's girlfriend's sister's boyfriend's brother said he new a guy that said you will be able to do it."

gtikid
08-19-2007, 12:33 PM
isn't this the same question from last week? i posted up the quote from the ga clean air force.

cliffs:
if you buy a car and the emissions was w/in the past year you can register the car w/ that emissions.

if you got an emissions done and used it to re-register your car you cannot use it again to re-register your car a second time. a new owner can use it to register it as in the above statement.

they recommend you go to get your emissions 30-60 days prior to your re-registration date (birthday). you have to ask for exceptions on an emissions that is more than 60 days old if you are planning on using it for re-registration purposes on a car you already own.

google georgia clean air force to answer/clairify all your questions to avoid the "my brother's girlfriend's sister's boyfriend's brother said he new a guy that said you will be able to do it."

Yea it's the same question, but I figured more people looked here than in the general tech or wherever I posted that question. I'd rather ask here anyway in case someone has been in the same situation before....

gtikid
08-19-2007, 12:33 PM
mutherfucker I already told you get the emmisions and get the car registered thru 08 or go ahead and pay the extra and register it through 09

:2up: