PDA

View Full Version : Lauching from a dig??

0p7!mu5
08-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Ok i've been tryin to work at this but i just cant seem to get it:cry: . All I've ever done are roll so Im tryin to get a lil better at digs since the first and only one I've done was in an auto and I wanna start going to the track so... any tips? preciate the help!:D

Whiteboy™
08-18-2007, 11:24 AM
get the tires sticky then launch from like 3-4k

RBS
08-18-2007, 11:51 AM
just mess around a little bit, practice your launching at diff RPMs in an isolated area and youll eventually find the best way to launch :goodjob:

Tinton
08-18-2007, 11:52 AM
It takes practice, but the main thing you want to be concerned with is getting the clutch out fast. If you're sitting there trying to make the launch smooth you'll burn up the clutch a little and get a slow launch. I wouldn't recommend dumping the clutch though. If you're launching at higher rpms just remember you can let it out a lot faster than a normal launch though.

mxglory258
08-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Unless your running slicks (drag radials maybe?) there's no point in burnin your tires. With street tires, the compound just rolls off and makes them actually spin more when they're hot.

JITB
08-18-2007, 01:15 PM
depends on the car every car wont launch well at 3k, but 3-4k seems to be were most do tho. But you just have to practice when ugot o the track. because too many conditions apply. you might be able to dump it higher and get a quicker time with better tires. or you might dump it too high and bog and just burn up your clutch. Its one of those things that can only be learned by trial and error.

Z28
08-18-2007, 03:07 PM
I take it you are in a manual now?

An auto is pretty easy to launch. Autos also launch a bit better since you can preload the rearend via a bigger TC.

Manual though, like said: Get some good compound tires, find an area, and PRACTICE. Spinning ain't winning, so figure out how your car reacts when you drop the hammer and learn how to compensate for the car going sideways out of the hole.

0p7!mu5
08-18-2007, 03:13 PM
yeah im in a manual now so thats why i was wondering i was tryin to enter the shoot out and not suck royally but I may take a raincheck since this has been sucha friggin pain. thanks for the advice tho keep it commin!

Big Baller
08-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Unless your running slicks (drag radials maybe?) there's no point in burnin your tires. With street tires, the compound just rolls off and makes them actually spin more when they're hot.

You are so fucking wrong it is unbelivable.

Every tire has a heat range it works best in and cold isn't it. You don't have to do a 30 seond John Force style burnout but 3 or 4 seconds should but enough heat in the tires to make them hook.

Matt

B18c1Turboed
08-18-2007, 04:05 PM
ALWAYS ALWAYS PRELOAD!!!!
You want to preload the axles especially if you have stock axles.

The way i would launch...

I would do a burn out. Pull to the 1st bulb and light it. At this point i am grabbing the emergency break.

I will usually get my revs up, and start slipping the clutch, as soon as i hit the 2nd bulb i pull the emergency break up, you want to make sure when you pull it up that the car is still rolling some, that way you are keeping tension on the axles.

When i see the 3rd yellow bulb go off, I drop the emergency and go!

Doing this will save your axles and transmission , because think about it. If you just sitting there and reving the motor and dumping the clutch imagine how much tension gets to the axles and they just snap.

This method has been proven to work. Peter from ISP ran 9.6 on stock OEM axles trapping 151 MPH, theirs a reason for that!!

The Youngn
08-18-2007, 04:22 PM
yeah im in a manual now so thats why i was wondering i was tryin to enter the shoot out and not suck royally but I may take a raincheck since this has been sucha friggin pain. thanks for the advice tho keep it commin!
As it was said earlier that most people tend to launch around 3-4k. Good launches are usually done by "slipping" the clutch, which is revving the engine up and letting out the clutch let's say halfway quickly, then releasing the rest of the clutch once you get going. That's how MOSt people get good launches.
Personally for me i dump the clutch and thats how i get my best launches. Just when you're driving home at night and you hit a red light....just launch it:goodjob:

collins
08-18-2007, 04:35 PM
one guy mentioned burning street tires does more harm than good... well thats only true to an extent... granted you dont want to boil them, but get one or 2 rotations out of them just to knock the dirt out... anything more is probably going to be overkill for street tires...

VooDooXII
08-18-2007, 05:03 PM
I need to bring mine to about 3500 - 4000, and not so much dump the clutch...but roll off of it quickly. I get the faintest bit of hop, and I'm off.

I still think I could do better though.

d16_turbo
08-18-2007, 05:04 PM
on slicks i had to launch my civic at around 7000. any less and it would bog

Z28
08-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Are you on stock suspension?

And what kind of tires?

Sorry I should have asked those earlier.

1989_crx_si
08-18-2007, 05:11 PM
depending on what kind of tires you are using.. i recommend D/R's like nittos 555r, bfgoodrich d/r, etc. before you line up for a race you should pull your ECU fuse to eliminate any codes and freshen up your ECU.

if you're rear wheel drive - deflate your rear tires to about 15 PSI and pump the front tires to the maximum PSI it recommends on the tire. do a light burn out to get the tires sticky. depending on what kind of car you drive it'll be different at your launching RPM. I launch my supra at 6k and my nsx at 5k. once you got the RPM steady lightly let go of the clutch to where you fine the friction point (you can feel the pressure plate engaging the clutch and it slowly moves forward). when you feel the friction point lightly engage the clutch so the car won't inch forward. when the light turns green all you got to do is let the clutch go and you should rip out of box. shift about 200-400 rpm before the redline due to reaction.

if you're front wheel drive do the opposite to the tires. deflate the front tires and pump the rear tires to maximum.

i hope this helps you. it takes time and precision to break the 2.0 60 feet barrier. it also depends on moisture, track prep, temperature, etc.

Z28
08-18-2007, 05:15 PM
15psi is probably too low. That will cause cupping which defeats the whole purpose.

Nitto's aren't very good either. I run MT ET Streets and they are ok for what they are.

And it doesn't take much to break a 2.0 60. Maybe on a stock suspension, but if you want to be serious about dragging, your suspension won't be stock.

1989_crx_si
08-18-2007, 05:25 PM
15psi is probably too low. That will cause cupping which defeats the whole purpose.

Nitto's aren't very good either. I run MT ET Streets and they are ok for what they are.

And it doesn't take much to break a 2.0 60. Maybe on a stock suspension, but if you want to be serious about dragging, your suspension won't be stock.

i said nittos since he'll probably won't want to get some M/T just for racing. it's just an example. yes you are right about cupping but it all depends on what size tires you're using.

to break in the 2.0 it depends on power and if you know what you're doing. i've seen alot of 500+ car that can't get in the 2.0 since they don't know how to launch.

Maniaç
08-18-2007, 05:30 PM
depends on what kind of car you have.. lol. i don't have any experince with any thing else but all wheel drive. i can lauch it two diffrent ways, i can keep taping the throttle around 4-5k and slip it.. or just hold the rpms at 5k and slip it.. both ways work fine, if you know how to do it, they both turn out the same.. and i think my best 60ft(1.7) speaks for itself.. but keep trying diffrent ways, you'll figure it out sooner or later.. good luck!

0p7!mu5
08-18-2007, 05:58 PM
thanks well just for info I Have a 96 gsr, with 15'' meshies, the suspension isnt stock but i think i need to stiffen up the rear coilovers because it has a lil more bounce than I like.Im also runnin a stage 3 clutch as well and would the flywheel make any diff at all? I need to get new tires as a def so thanks for the refrence to that cuz mine are going bald. But other than that i'll be runnin a p72 ecu if that affects anything at all. I was just tryin not to tear up my clutch too bad or worse yet destroy the tranny. I was told to try and think of it as how when i first learned stick which was when i did rev it to 3.5 and it kinda chirped before going but I figured there was more to it than that. I really apprecaite this Im not tryin to suck horrible out there

Big Baller
08-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Its amazing how many people on this board have no fucking idea what they are talking about.

allmotoronly
08-18-2007, 07:33 PM
practice makes perfect. everybody has their own technique. find yours and practice.

mxglory258
08-18-2007, 08:04 PM

Every tire has a heat range it works best in and cold isn't it. You don't have to do a 30 seond John Force style burnout but 3 or 4 seconds should but enough heat in the tires to make them hook.

Matt

A simple actually your wrong would've done. :) Way to be a 2 dollar piece of asshole trash :)

Maniaç
08-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Its amazing how many people on this board have no fucking idea what they are talking about.What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to say that we don't know shit and that you're the only one with knowledge when it comes to this kind of subject? or are you just trying to sound like you know it all? if you do help this noob out, tell him how you lauch your car, best rpms for his car, tips, ect.. you don't need to act like a badass here, answer his question or don't fucking say shit!

1989_crx_si
08-18-2007, 11:33 PM
What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to say that we don't know shit and that you're the only one with knowledge when it comes to this kind of subject? or are you just trying to sound like you know it all? if you do help this noob out, tell him how you lauch your car, best rpms for his car, tips, ect.. you don't need to act like a badass here, answer his question or don't fucking say shit!

he just mad cuz he don't know jack sh|t and just wanted to seem like he knows everything..

if he knows his stuff than he should let the noob know some of his techniques.. :screwy:

japan4racing
08-19-2007, 12:05 AM
once you get a car with some power you will never even worry about street tires again. my car wil never hit the track with any d.o.t. tire on it. i run on mickey thompson e.t. drags 22x8x13's. i do a burnout and get them good and sticky, then stage...(mi gonna have to try that pre-load technique mentioned earlier) anything lower than 7000rpms and im done for that run. the car will just bog. i usually launch between 7000 and 7500. once all my tuning shit gets here im gonna set up a 2-step ona test n tune night to get my perfect launch rpm for that night. the best advice that i can give you is you just need to feel out your car and practice. it will come to you. we can all agree that experience is the best way to learn....just paractice alot. and if you wanna run good times always remember....no one ever broke any records by pussy footing it...if you wanna run hard run hard...dont be afraid to break shit. its gonna happen. when ihad my green civic i was scared to run it hard..it had been 13.8 on street tires..one night at the track i said fuck it and launched the shit out of it and went [email protected] on street tires....what im trying to convey to you is that if you just go out there and beat the car it will perform like you want it.....and if it dont....replace whatever broke and try again. good luck to you bro.

blackshine007
08-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Screw all the people who says launch at any particular rpm. This is how you launch. You want the lightest rims possible. So go find some spare doughnuts. Mount them up on the drive wheels, and then go find the nearest light and pray someone with an exhaust and the passion for not loosing is at that light with you. When you see the light is turning yellow, just floor it and let the engine bounce off the rev limiter. That's safe. And when the light turns green, pop the clutch real quick. Best launch ever. Point blank.

0p7!mu5
08-19-2007, 12:32 AM
totally appreciate this shit. All of it. im just tryin to get goin in the right direction ya kno? I already took out my first teg and not tryin to sit out for 4 months again. But I agree i gotta fix what i gotta fix but Im tryin to lessen the blow by actually havin a clue. Enough ricers fuck up for me already. Maniac thanks for havin my back bro! yeah seriously guys i appreciate the advice but save the pissin contest for the WL ok? I might hold off on tuner fest until I get a lil better

AnthonyF
08-20-2007, 01:24 PM

Matt

ur right, but that J.F. burnout is the SEX!!!!!!!

...the real John Force burnout...

AnthonyF
08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Screw all the people who says launch at any particular rpm. This is how you launch. You want the lightest rims possible. So go find some spare doughnuts. Mount them up on the drive wheels, and then go find the nearest light and pray someone with an exhaust and the passion for not loosing is at that light with you. When you see the light is turning yellow, just floor it and let the engine bounce off the rev limiter. That's safe. And when the light turns green, pop the clutch real quick. Best launch ever. Point blank.

you say lightest rims, but doughnuts are not always the lightest.

AnthonyF
08-20-2007, 01:28 PM
somebody does have a write-up....i believe it's 2.3EVO who has a great writeup on launching. but his is also on an EVO. but it does have GREAT facts in it.

Ask people who go the track a lot. I was running 285/45/18's and barely hooking with a nice burnout. with my 245/55 I hooked VERY well with a light burnout. Every tire is different. stick with one and just practice practice.

I suggest getting a DR. I purchased Mickey T's and that should solve my traction issue. :)

1kreationz40
08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Try out on different rpm points, learn to keep a steady high rpm, and try not making the wheel spin out too much, really if ur wheels are spinning too much ur gonna be sitting there, and the other drive might just crib and go, soo really its good to mess around when theres nocars on the road and best way to really determine if your launching off fast enough is to go againts other racers, and improve from there on....gl

0p7!mu5
08-20-2007, 08:23 PM
:bow: