PDA

View Full Version : My Coolant keeps disapearing.

TheProfiteer
08-15-2007, 09:06 PM
I dont get it, my coolant keeps disapearing somewhere.
I checked all my coolant lines no leaks, so then I think oh no, head gasket.
well oil and coolant are not mixing and I am not getting any steam out of the tail pipe. Ive got it so the fan is always running, plus I am running with out a thermostat.

What else can I check?

uproot
08-15-2007, 09:13 PM
check your hoses may have a leak in one... also is one or both hot or cold after running the car..

and check your radiator, i kept losing coolant too... turned out to be my radiator, put a new one in and no more problems

TheProfiteer
08-15-2007, 09:15 PM
yeah both coolant lines are the same temp, I took the thermostat out so its constantly moving through the radiator, plus the fan is always running.

I have a spare radiator, so Ill try to and check it ou.

NevrNufTorq
08-15-2007, 09:35 PM
if the head gasket is just barely gone then it will go out the exhast and you wont have any in your oil. had that issue a couple times.

uproot
08-15-2007, 10:07 PM
or maybe one of those damn "caturday" cats are stealing your coolant at night when you're asleep...

Grnblur
08-15-2007, 10:20 PM
my rad cap was bad and it was boiling over my overflow tank. I lost almost a whole gallon within a few days.

TheProfiteer
08-16-2007, 04:44 AM
I think its the water pump, oh well nothing I cant change, but its gonna be a bitch :headslap:, especialy getting that damn harmonic balancer off with my weak compressor

TheProfiteer
08-16-2007, 04:45 AM
if the head gasket is just barely gone then it will go out the exhast and you wont have any in your oil. had that issue a couple times.

but then shouldnt I be getting steam on a cold start, or high revs?

1SOL2NV
08-16-2007, 05:18 AM
lol ... also check your TB lines ... make sure to rev the car up a lil .... mine didnt leak until i was on the throttle a lil bit .. then started flowing out ... dry rotted hose ...

AnthonyF
08-16-2007, 08:23 AM
buy a pressure tester kit. You'll need an air compressor, but you just hook it up, sit back and wait for it to spew out w/o getting the engine super hot.

if very minimal is leaking out over a long period of time it's going to be a hard leak to find. but it prob. will burst eventually (if its a hose)

AnthonyF
08-16-2007, 08:24 AM
my rad cap was bad and it was boiling over my overflow tank. I lost almost a whole gallon within a few days.

I second this...check the radiator cap. A lot of people over look this...just like me a post before. lol

Kourt
08-16-2007, 12:31 PM
I just reaplced a blown head gasket in my car + had a warped head and I didnt loose compression, have mixed oil/coolant or smoke/steam out the tail pipe. It just ran hot and built up alot of pressure after driving about 20 mins. I never lost any coolant though, that I noticed untill we got the car apart and saw it in the cylinders.

IDriveToast
08-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Do you have an antifreeze reservoir tank? Do you have the hose running from your radiator to it? If you do not, when your antifreeze heats up the pressure causes everything to expand which makes the spring on the radiator cap compress to release pressure. If the antifreeze is too hot and it is boiling the evaporated vapor will escape out the vent there and into the atmosphere versus into the reservoir to condense.

TheProfiteer
08-16-2007, 07:17 PM
yes I have the reservoir and the hose on it,

RISKYB
08-17-2007, 10:53 AM
is the pass floor board wet? maybe a heater hose

AnthonyF
08-17-2007, 11:08 AM
is the pass floor board wet? maybe a heater hose

usually if the pass floor is wet its a heater core. but...could be anything. check everything everyone has said in here!!

Gutling
08-17-2007, 11:10 AM
if there is no coolant anywhere in engine bay, from water pump or hoses or anything, more than likely headgasket. slow leak-wont get in oil, probably wouldnt see it coming out the exhaust (light white smoke)

iEvo
08-18-2007, 12:30 AM
yea ur radiator cap does more then just seal. is ur car running hot at all?

TheProfiteer
08-18-2007, 12:50 AM
I changed the radiator cap and everything seems to be fine. been driving 3 days and taking it up to around 5k with no loss of water.