PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild SOHC or swap B18c

piapia
08-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I have 98 civic hatchback, I want to boosted it because it is way tooooo slow.... My question is should I rebuild the SOHC and boosted it or swap B18c(stock) then boosted it. I want to make around 200whp+ since the MR2 I used to own make around 230whp. Any advice will be great thanks.

TheProfiteer
08-15-2007, 09:48 AM
it depends, you could potentialy make the SOHC get 200 on the ground much cheaper then doing a b18c swap. Especialy if you rebuild the thing your self.

There is an entire collective of people who swear up on down on SOHC
they wouldnt even touch DOHC motors

There is alot of hidden potential in those small little motors man.

piapia
08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
By the way, I need the motoer can run full throttle for 10 to 15 mins. which motor is more reliable for daily driver and track use? thanks.

TheProfiteer
08-15-2007, 10:54 AM
the SOHC can take alot of shit if built right.

sleepys4
08-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I like sohc but the b18c would be more reliable. If you can make 200whp on the motor with a single u need to be put in record books.

TheProfiteer
08-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Ive seen ALL MOTOR sohc do 200 to the ground.

TheProfiteer
08-15-2007, 11:03 AM
I do not know much about building one, but ITBs http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130086
High compression pistons, rods and bearings, crank, cams, valves, and valve springs, other shit that I dont know nothing about, and trust me a SOHC hitting 200 on the ground all motor is very possible, and very costly.

now getting a SOHC to hit 200 on the ground boosted, thats not hard at all, do it all pushing less then 12psi and tuned right.
Doesnt even take much motor rebuilds to get that.
If your gonna boost a SOHC think about getting, valve springs replaced, rods and bearings, and rings, port and polish the head, performance (aluminum head gasket) and your motor will handle 12psi as a daily driver and track car all day long, so long as you keep it tuned.

Dirty Octopus™
08-15-2007, 11:11 AM
such a no brainer :headslap:

japan4racing
08-15-2007, 11:50 AM
such a no brainer :headslap:

:goodjob:

bigdare23
08-15-2007, 12:56 PM
boosted single cam????

PM halfwit and ask how his went!

Mr.MuayThai
08-15-2007, 01:18 PM
the question is. . .

Do you want more than 200whp? if you want to keep it around those digits then the SOHC is the way to go! If you want something with more potential then go with the b18c. A lot of people go with the DOHC's and don't even use its potential. THey would have saved money and time going with their stock motor and building it then boosting! People are stupid now-a-days they have there priorities in the wrong places. but like i said, If you just want 200whp or maybe 250whp stick with the SOHC motor. If you are looking for a lot more than go with the GSR motor. :goodjob:

TheProfiteer
08-15-2007, 02:22 PM
your going to have alot of fun tunning that GSR.

If you really want to go DOHC go with the b18b, with enough tweaking you can run a good bit of psi, and have much less stress tuning the thing.

RISKYB
08-15-2007, 03:03 PM
i have always been a fan of the gsr with the jackson racing supercharger around 6psi tuned properly and you wont be disapointed

mike at batlground can def steer you in the right direction

DeeAOne
08-15-2007, 03:12 PM
stick with the SOHC and rebuild it.

TheProfiteer
08-15-2007, 04:22 PM
i have always been a fan of the gsr with the jackson racing supercharger around 6psi tuned properly and you wont be disapointed

mike at batlground can def steer you in the right direction

why put all that money for such little power, its not very cost effective.
I am pretty sure you know that Black EG hatch thats been on here with the GSR Supercharger, my buddies built that car, then we tuned it, and tuned it agian, it was pushing 8psi and we couldnt get it under 13.85 q/m no matter what the fuck we did. High 13 is fast, but not for the money you will spend doing that.

B18b1 mildly built to withstand boost, and a decent turbo, push 9-12psi with the same resluts and a much more consitant powerband.

A GSR can respond really well to boost, but requires alot of paitence, time, and money.

GSRteg®
08-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Well said! +4 for you! :bump:
stick with the SOHC and rebuild it.

piapia
08-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks fo all the advices guys. I want to build an engine with good throttle response and reliable(by the way, this car needs "Torque" because I do run mountain alot). I am not looking for 300whp, it is too much for me and with this light chassis, 200~250whp will be enoug( just my opinion). I will love to swap K20 if I have that much money......

NevrNufTorq
08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
why put all that money for such little power, its not very cost effective.
I am pretty sure you know that Black EG hatch thats been on here with the GSR Supercharger, my buddies built that car, then we tuned it, and tuned it agian, it was pushing 8psi and we couldnt get it under 13.85 q/m no matter what the fuck we did. High 13 is fast, but not for the money you will spend doing that.

B18b1 mildly built to withstand boost, and a decent turbo, push 9-12psi with the same resluts and a much more consitant powerband.

A GSR can respond really well to boost, but requires alot of paitence, time, and money.

dont know what was wrong with the gsr you did but if the motor is running fine before boost you will have absolutely np at all tuning a gsr. the only reason people do a b1 is b/c they make a lil more torque cause of the longer stroke. if you dont think i'm right, call charles at mainstream, call mike at batlground or ed at balanced. they'll all tell you exactly the same thing.

and as for your question, i would go gsr or lsvtec and boost it with a small t3 turbo with a blockguard and you will have 250whp very easily and it will be very reliable also except for maybe your axles!!!

:2cents: as always fellas

RBS
08-15-2007, 09:59 PM
it all depends on what you want really, either motor can break 200+ whp pretty easily. sohcs are cheaper to mod but require a good amount of effort to make good power whereas a b series would make good power real easy, it would just cost more and what also comes into play is the engine builder.

Black4DrEK
08-15-2007, 10:20 PM
If u can afford the GSR go for it, but SOHCS are alot cheaper thats what im in the process of trying to do.

Mr.MuayThai
08-16-2007, 01:01 AM
by the way, this car needs "Torque" because I do run mountain alot

Well with that said buy another car. . . Hondas don't make too much torque. You really don't need that much torque to run mountains. . . Just stay in the power band and you will be Okie Dokie. :gooodjob: