PDA

View Full Version : RSX Type S

freak8250
08-13-2007, 11:17 PM
I just bought an RSX type S with 80k miles on it and it's modded with DC header on it Injen short ram and a cat back exhaust. It is idling around 500 rpms and I just adjusted the throttle up a bit to take care of that for now. When I get going like in the higher rpms and the vtec kicks in I can smell exhaust pretty strong in the car even when the windows are closed. I have been told by a couple people it might be running lean, but I thought it might have been a small leak or something but it's only when it's in the 5000 plus rpms. It hasn't been tuned to my knowledge and I just don't see how it could be smelling like that and running lean but under normal conditions you don't smell anything at all. Any help with this would be much appreciated. I live in douglasville, Ga if anyone knows of a good shop I could get it checked out for pretty cheap because it's in the shop getting the exhaust and bodkit fixed and it's lowered sorry forgot to mention that.

blackshine007
08-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Hook a scanner to it and make sure the O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 isnt stuck lean. If it is, it will make it smell bad out the back, meaning it's basicly dumping fuel. You wanna see if your O2 sensor is at least switching. If it is, This is where you wanna start looking into your fuel trim. Make sure that at an idle that your fuel trim less that 15% on the negative or positive side. This will at least start telling you things like you may possibly have a malfunction in the system. BTW, is the check engine light on?

freak8250
08-14-2007, 06:20 PM
no that is why I didn't think it was a sensor I had no check engine light and it runs pretty descent it's only when I high rev I smell it in the car with the windows up and it smells rich so it's throwing me off.

sdiddy
08-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Does your car have the DC sports race header or sport header? BTW, join clubrsx.com

blackshine007
08-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Another thing that could be a big possibility that if you have a warm air intake, your engine is killing timing tremendously due to the extreme tempertures we've been having. Everytime you take it to your 8100 rpm redline your engine dumps fuel to keep it from detonating, hence the rich fuel smell on acceleration. Which is the most likely cause. Get a better intake or run it hard only at night when it's cooler.

freak8250
08-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Not sure which DC header it is, but I have an Injen short ram intake on it so I have no clue I can give a link to the pic of it. I bought it from a guy on autotrader and the pics are still up with pics of the engine and what not so here is the link. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=224712473&dealer_id=60438359&car_year=2002&model=RSX&num_records=100&make2=&start_year=2000&keywordsfyc=&engine=&keywordsrep=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=300&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&make=ACURA&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=30134&advanced=y&end_year=2005&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=34
The smell starts coming when the vtec kicks in just over 5000 rpms my buddy said it smells like a burnt perm lol. I really have no idea on it. Any other ideas? I mean not to day that any of it's wrong would my best bet be to take it to a performance shop and get it tuned?

freak8250
08-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Also I just spent $1,800.00 getting the body kit repaired exhaust fixed because it was loose the passenger window fixed because the clamp to hold it on track broke some gauges hooked up and what not. Also I was wondering is there anyways to put a racing steering wheel on and still be able to use the cruise control? I love that feature when hitting a long trip on the interstate that takes around an hour or so.

blackshine007
08-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Not sure which DC header it is, but I have an Injen short ram intake on it so I have no clue I can give a link to the pic of it. I bought it from a guy on autotrader and the pics are still up with pics of the engine and what not so here is the link. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=224712473&dealer_id=60438359&car_year=2002&model=RSX&num_records=100&make2=&start_year=2000&keywordsfyc=&engine=&keywordsrep=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=300&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&make=ACURA&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=30134&advanced=y&end_year=2005&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=34
The smell starts coming when the vtec kicks in just over 5000 rpms my buddy said it smells like a burnt perm lol. I really have no idea on it. Any other ideas? I mean not to day that any of it's wrong would my best bet be to take it to a performance shop and get it tuned?
I'm really gonna blame your performance mishap on your short ram intake. And it's only doing that due to the extreme tempertures we're having. I'd try to find a true CAI for it. Your best solution for now is to not run it hard during the day time. When you get the money and time, get a true CAI. Be prepared because you'll have to take the bumper off to get it in properly

sdiddy
08-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Sounds like you may have the DC Sports RACE header. The race header eliminates the catalytic converter. Exhaust without a catalytic converter typically has a strong carbon monoxide and unburned gas smell... Many RSX owners experience this with a 'cat-eliminating' race header.

freak8250
08-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Well the exhaust still has a cat on it and it still passes emissions I've also been told that it's probably the the gasket on the header. I have no clue really or if I need to go to the dealer to get the gasket because autozone and advanced don't carry the gasket. Any other way I can get it? It's only like 5 bolts holding it on plus the exhaust was loose the weld had come undone and I don't think they replaced the gasket when they put the headers on. The guy at the shop said it was a common mistake he had the same problem with his supra. I only smell it inside when the rpms are high. The temp usually stays pretty low to normal so I am not sure the intake is causing too much of a problem.

dnugs03rsx
08-20-2007, 11:31 PM
if it is the intake ill sell u my injen cai only about 500 miles on it and i still have the box and everything and im north of atl for $180

freak8250
08-21-2007, 10:44 AM
I got it in the shop right now the short ram is working nicely actually. They were checking it out and said it was just a loose O2 sensor because of the whole exhaust being loose plus i had a couple small holes from the exhaust bouncing around. They are tightening the sensors and patching the exhaust and welding the brackets back up so hopefully that will fix the problem.