PDA

View Full Version : 92 gti vr6 swap

TheGrillMan
08-13-2007, 09:26 PM
so im looking into a92 gti roller with a complete vr6 swap t motor has bene put in yet but old one has been removed

just curious shops that do good work?

or anyone that might be willing to help me put the motor in? ill gladly pay
weather it;s lunch and beer or just cash

id much rather do the work myself beacuse of the learning exp aspect of it

4dmin
08-14-2007, 03:01 PM
EPG can do the swap but they will want $$$... looking for some help for the swap there aren't many VW techs willing to do it for BEER that i know of; it isn't like dropping a B series in a civic :goodjob:

Total_Blender
08-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Are all of the swap parts included? It takes a lot more than just the engine. You'll need the trans. shifter, the pedals/clutch assembly, some frame brackets, a radiator/fan assembly, etc. Be sure those parts are included with the car before you buy it.

Do you know what the donor car was? Because if the donor car was a Passat or MkIII Jetta, you might need to add some Corrado parts (like hoses/brackets) to make everything fit right.

If the swap was runnign before you might be OK, but buying somebody's partially finished swap is opening a can of worms for sure.

TheGrillMan
08-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Are all of the swap parts included? It takes a lot more than just the engine. You'll need the trans. shifter, the pedals/clutch assembly, some frame brackets, a radiator/fan assembly, etc. Be sure those parts are included with the car before you buy it.

Do you know what the donor car was? Because if the donor car was a Passat or MkIII Jetta, you might need to add some Corrado parts (like hoses/brackets) to make everything fit right.

If the swap was runnign before you might be OK, but buying somebody's partially finished swap is opening a can of worms for sure.

that is a very good point and seeing as how i dont even have somewhere to work on it

Total_Blender
08-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah, thats a good point. You'll want to have a place where you can take a motor out. I have swapped out 4 cyl motors without a lift, just lifting straps and elbow grease. But you can't do that with a VR6. You'll need an engine lift, or at least an A frame or a tree you can hang a hoist from. You might also have to change out the K-frame and the front crossmember... its not too bad but you don't want to do it in an apartment complex parking lot in the dark. :crazy: lolz

thegreatfnr
08-16-2007, 11:49 AM
its not too bad but you don't want to do it in an apartment complex parking lot in the dark. :crazy: lolz

LOL :lmfao:

This pic was from that night wasnt it eric

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/thegreatfnr/jason.jpg

Lee :cheers:

TheGrillMan
08-16-2007, 06:04 PM
LOL :lmfao:

This pic was from that night wasnt it eric

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/thegreatfnr/jason.jpg

Lee :cheers:

haha ive done the same in my old apt complex but with a 69 nova

vinayak
09-02-2007, 02:12 PM
barry palmer will do it.

Total_Blender
09-06-2007, 07:19 PM
barry palmer will do it

just remember to bring marshmallows... lolz

Seriously though, theres a shop in Acworth called "KAMS" and Ken (the owner) is a really knowledgable guy. They used to buy cars at auction and part them out, but I think they are just a repair shop now. If you ask Ken nicely he might do a swap.