PDA

View Full Version : Misc Georgia State Dorms...

gtikid
08-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Anyone stayed on campus at GSU? I've been there 4 years and finally decided i've got it a shot and try it out :D Is it anything i'm missing out on? Fun? Good experience? Or is shitty and feels like a concentration camp? Post up your experiences :ninja: and how you feel about the place :goodjob:

changaroo
08-12-2007, 12:01 PM
the north ave apartments were recently aquired by GAtech, but i believe state has resurrected even newer and better apt's for the students there. i cant say ive been to the new ones, but the ones in north ave were amazing. compared to what tech kids got for their first year :P

ironchef
08-12-2007, 12:03 PM
On the outside the new dorms of piedmont ave look fucking dope. Haven't been inside yet though.

gtikid
08-12-2007, 12:29 PM
the north ave apartments were recently aquired by GAtech, but i believe state has resurrected even newer and better apt's for the students there. i cant say ive been to the new ones, but the ones in north ave were amazing. compared to what tech kids got for their first year :P

I've stayed at the village before a few times. Those are super nice. I believe they made the commons to mirror the village since that's what they got people used to

gtikid
08-12-2007, 12:35 PM
On the outside the new dorms of piedmont ave look fucking dope. Haven't been inside yet though.

Yes they sure fucking do. The parking deck looks pretty sick too. I'm curious to see how they look inside.

SampaGuy
08-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Most people who live on campus or within 5 miles love georgia state. Most people who commute hate it. I move in the commons this wednesday, fuck yeah!

I lived in the village (north ave) last year and it was awesome. I was a freshman and I met a ton of new people and had an incredible experience. I have so many memories of walking around ga tech drunk with my friends at night haha. Also by being so close to campus I got a lot more involved with organizations at school, went to the rec center every other day, etc. You do have to deal with a lot of bullshit though, like "health inspections" once a month where they look around your apartment to make sure you are keeping everything clean and not doing anything wrong. All you have to do is hide your alcohol under your dirty laundy, they dont look there lol. Hopefully that only applied to freshmen and ill be good this year.

dowhat101
08-12-2007, 02:19 PM
my girl stay there for her freshman year,the room look lot alike a apt layout.but hallway smell like shit....the hallway to each dorm,

gtikid
08-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Most people who live on campus or within 5 miles love georgia state. Most people who commute hate it. I move in the commons this wednesday, fuck yeah!

I lived in the village (north ave) last year and it was awesome. I was a freshman and I met a ton of new people and had an incredible experience. I have so many memories of walking around ga tech drunk with my friends at night haha. Also by being so close to campus I got a lot more involved with organizations at school, went to the rec center every other day, etc. You do have to deal with a lot of bullshit though, like "health inspections" once a month where they look around your apartment to make sure you are keeping everything clean and not doing anything wrong. All you have to do is hide your alcohol under your dirty laundy, they dont look there lol. Hopefully that only applied to freshmen and ill be good this year.

Yea man, tell me about it. I hate driving there every fucking day. My freshman year I took Marta, but I got tired of that. So I drove these past 2 years, and oh man, traffic blows. I go to school and go right home. I don't chill there or go to any of the events or nothing. That's why I wanna move into the commons. Plus it seems like a lot of fun. Are they assholes when it comes to noise and shit like that? And if I move in next semester i'll be 21 by then, so no worries for alcohol :D

ironchef
08-12-2007, 02:43 PM
I always plan my schedule to not get into traffic lol.

Kamikaze
08-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah commuting sucks. But it's only a 15 minute ride from the crib.

gtikid
08-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I always plan my schedule to not get into traffic lol.

Coming from downtown there's always traffic :D That's why I don't take my first class til 11 to skip the traffic haha, and i'll more than likely stay down at state til about 8 so that I don't have to catch traffic coming back home. No A/C FTL :(

Sibious
08-12-2007, 03:32 PM
you can see the new dorms from 75/85 look nice and brand new re done..for expercience never stayed there. but have expericenced the dorm life. and im currently in my own 1 bdrm apt.. i like it much better this way.. not as exciting but when you have friends around to go out and stuff your not missing much. but if you never expericence it b4 woulnt hurt to say you have done it and got the expericence

gtikid
08-12-2007, 03:44 PM
you can see the new dorms from 75/85 look nice and brand new re done..for expercience never stayed there. but have expericenced the dorm life. and im currently in my own 1 bdrm apt.. i like it much better this way.. not as exciting but when you have friends around to go out and stuff your not missing much. but if you never expericence it b4 woulnt hurt to say you have done it and got the expericence

That's mainly the reason i'm doing it, is just to be able to say I got the college experience and just so I can know what it's like. It wouldn't hurt, well maybe my wallet a little haha. But hopefully it's everything it's hyped up to be. Right now i'd rather be living in the dorms with a bunch of people that go to the same school as me than living on my own. Don't wanna do that just yet :D

ironchef
08-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Coming from downtown there's always traffic :D That's why I don't take my first class til 11 to skip the traffic haha, and i'll more than likely stay down at state til about 8 so that I don't have to catch traffic coming back home. No A/C FTL :(Im taking 3/5 of my classes this semester at the alpharetta campus like 2-3 miles from my house, its so leet! The other 2 im taking downtown on mon/wed from 12-2:45, so i'll leave right before the rush hour. Should take about 30 minutes each way. Does anyone know good parking places next to the ALC? I've never had a class there before, and now both of my classes are there.

Mchnhead2k5
08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
there's a few parking lots near the Rialto that's 5 bucks for less than 4 hours.

gtikid
08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Im taking 3/5 of my classes this semester at the alpharetta campus like 2-3 miles from my house, its so leet! The other 2 im taking downtown on mon/wed from 12-2:45, so i'll leave right before the rush hour. Should take about 30 minutes each way. Does anyone know good parking places next to the ALC? I've never had a class there before, and now both of my classes are there.

It would take me just as long, if not longer, to get to the Alpharetta location :lmao: I think I used to park in front of the Rialto where that guy above me posted. I'm not sure if that was it. It's in front of that fancy ass restaurant and on top of like some old school cafe/restaurant. I used to park there and it was like $4-$6. Then I would still have to cross the park to get to ALC. I hate walking to that damn building, it's so far from everything, except from the all the food places :D It sucks even worst when it rains b/c there's puddles and rivers everywhere lol.

I can't do 5 classes man :no: Everytime I try I ALWAYS end up dropping one. I'm on the Van Wilder plan :lmfao:

SampaGuy
08-13-2007, 12:56 PM
But hopefully it's everything it's hyped up to be.

Well about the social life, if you are antisocial and sit in your room all day by yourself, than you might as well live somewhere cheaper lol. Its kinda of what I did for half of my first semester because I was shy and what not. Then I got tired of it and just put a little effort into making new friends and it skyrocketed.

And if I move in next semester i'll be 21 by then

Thats cool that you are going to be 21 but just keep in mind that most people in the commons are going to be 18 year old freshmen...

Are they assholes when it comes to noise and shit like that?

We didn't have any problems in the village

Deke
08-13-2007, 01:05 PM
State has a campus?

:)

gtikid
08-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Well about the social life, if you are antisocial and sit in your room all day by yourself, than you might as well live somewhere cheaper lol. Its kinda of what I did for half of my first semester because I was shy and what not. Then I got tired of it and just put a little effort into making new friends and it skyrocketed.

I'm not shy at all, so that shouldn't be a problem for me hopefully. Believe me, I hate staying at home, it drives me insane.

Thats cool that you are going to be 21 but just keep in mind that most people in the commons are going to be 18 year old freshmen...

I know, freshmeat/legal jailbait FTW :D :lmfao:

We didn't have any problems in the village

That's what I was hoping for...anything ever get "out of hand"?

ORGANIZATIONXIII
08-13-2007, 07:24 PM
the new dorms off of PIEDMONT are HOT... I wish I was still in school just to live there..

but the village SUCKED ASS when I lived there.. I hated it.. shitty roommates and shitty living..

glad that GaTech acquired that shit hole.. FOR REAL

ORGANIZATIONXIII
08-13-2007, 07:26 PM
oh, freshman year when I lived in Sparta, some asshat came around finals late at night and smashed EVERY SINGLE light on the floor and then used the fire extinguisher.. they tried to make everyone on the floor pay for the damages, b/c we should have "heard" what was going on and shit..

but we didn't pay.. it was like 1xxx in charges and shit

Deke
08-14-2007, 05:37 PM
But Alright well let me put my actual 2 cents in, and maybe this time I won't get neg repped (:lmfao:)

I lived in a freshman dorm my first year and it was definitely extremely fun. However, now being 21 I definitely wouldn't want to again at this point. And even though the new State dorms aren't exclusively freshmen, they still mostly will be. Living with 18 year olds was a blast freshman year (when you are also 18), but being 21 and going into your 4th year (I assume), I just see as being more annoying than anything else. But then again, to each his own.

gtikid
08-15-2007, 12:45 AM
But Alright well let me put my actual 2 cents in, and maybe this time I won't get neg repped (:lmfao:)

I lived in a freshman dorm my first year and it was definitely extremely fun. However, now being 21 I definitely wouldn't want to again at this point. And even though the new State dorms aren't exclusively freshmen, they still mostly will be. Living with 18 year olds was a blast freshman year (when you are also 18), but being 21 and going into your 4th year (I assume), I just see as being more annoying than anything else. But then again, to each his own.

Yea I figured better late than never. I really just wanna go there to get the experience and just to be able to say I got that experience. I really have no reason to leave home, it's not like it's THAT far of a drive every morning. But since i'm there to get the experience, I might as well live it up, ya kno :goodjob:

BTW i'll get you back later on, i've been rep happy lately :D

Mangrum
09-07-2007, 09:37 PM
the new dorms at state are fucking bomb.. one of my friends just moved in there this year for his freshman year and yes it is almost exactly liek an apartment layout. there are two seperate bedrooms, kitchen, small eating are, small living room type thing, and you share a bathroom.. it is awesome for a college dorm!

Sibious
09-07-2007, 11:25 PM
the new dorms at state are fucking bomb.. one of my friends just moved in there this year for his freshman year and yes it is almost exactly liek an apartment layout. there are two seperate bedrooms, kitchen, small eating are, small living room type thing, and you share a bathroom.. it is awesome for a college dorm!
ya my dorms jus tlike it and cost a whole lot cheaper 2.... the roomates is what makes the dorms what they are.. i ahve had them all sojust depends who you get stuck wiht

SL65AMG
09-08-2007, 12:12 AM
need a roomie next sem. homie? lolz.... im hoping to get into state next sem. but i dont know how i would transfer mid year?

BLk92DA
09-08-2007, 05:03 AM
my ex currently stays there and i go there on a daily basis. Its as Mangrum explained on how the room layout is. One thing is, u can't be fucking loud at night due to the 2 inch gap under your door...your roomate will hear everything since its dead quiet in there. ;)

To get upstairs is a bitch though. You must have an access card to get into the actual building..then once u make it into the lobby, depending on who is working at the front desk, will ask you for your id ect. If you're not accompanied by a resident, back down you go. Yes it's nice, but be warned, your every move is on camera! lolz

and oh yeah, u have to pay for parking too..if you dont, u will be booted!

Mangrum
09-09-2007, 08:38 PM
yea i am hoping to go to state next year!