PDA

View Full Version : piston bearings question

madwick
08-11-2007, 02:44 AM
i spun a bearing in my integra gs-r, do i just buy a new set and install them or is there another step needing to be taken somewhere in there?

i was thinking that if i just replace the crank and piston bearings with new ones, ill go ahead and change the oil pump, oil pan, oil pan gasket, water pump, tensioner and timing belt. if i am to do this, would i need to do anything else?

KPowerEP3
08-11-2007, 05:06 AM
Honestly, and, I'm not trying to be a dick here...but if you don't know the proper procedure for a major engine failure, I say you're better off taking it to a shop.

but...I will say...make sure there's no damage to the crank, or the bearing caps, get new bearings, new rods, and check the cylinder wall for damage just in case..

RISKYB
08-11-2007, 06:24 PM
i am actually ddealing with the same problem right know, so here it goes

1. break down entire engine assembly and lay it out exactly in the oreder these parts come off
2.take crank to reputable shop to be inspected (and polished if the crank is still usable)
3.have the rod inspected for damage (warpage)
3.inspect piston and oil squirter for damage
4.take block to machine shop for inspection (have it honed if ok)
5.order new bearings from honda by the color codes on the side of the bearing
(this would be a good time to replace main bearings and piston rings as well)
6.at this point you should know whats good and what needs to be replaced (replace with oe parts for best results or high perf parts not cheap rebuild parts)
7.obtain a total engine gasket kit (pref honda)
8.as you reasemble its always a good idea to plastiguage all bearings, check ring gaps ect
9.make sure you use a petroleum based assembly lube
10.inspect oil pump and housing
11.i always recommend a new timing belt water pump and therm with all rebuilds (oem preferred unless you are building the motor)
12.reassemble use torque specs and sequences if you dont have them buy a haynes manual
13.new oil and filter refill all fluids
14.check check and recheck timimg before initial start up
15. a good way to prime the engine is to take the efi relay out and turn the motor over x amount of times until the oil pump primes itself and the bearings

this is not a how to, rather just a small idea of what you are getting into, if unsure about any of this please go to a shop, no disrespect intended

mike please comment on anything i left out as i was in a hurry to type this

Total_Blender
08-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda uses select fit bearings. They go up in increments of thousandths so that you can replace bearings without having to tregrind the crank. You'll have to measure the crank and then order the bearings. If you don't know what you're doing you could get into a lot of trouble.

madwick
08-12-2007, 01:54 AM
damn! thanks guys

well heres what happened!

bought everything from crower; pistons, rods, crank, cams, cam gears, valves, springs, and retainers and installed it all. had timing and valve clearance checked by a shop. everything checked out good. i got to about 250 miles and wanted to start the next/harder step into the break in. so i took it a lil higher into rpms 4k, 5 k... then after 500 miles i wanted to slowly break into VTEC/6k, thats when the power almost exploded! its was nice being what all i have done to it! all i know is that i checked the oil and it had gold in it. bearings were not gone but worn a bit. had that slight knock sound going on so i freaked out, pulled the motor and bought a b20 for daily commute. i mean i could still be driving it with a slight knock that would bother me to death! i plan to have a shop remove and reinstall the parts and new bearings and maybe sleeve the block too. just want to know what to do since some ppl's advice isn't to good. too many mechanics i've asked make fun of my situation, "awe, them damn Jap-Oh-Knees cars always so hard to maintain, get you some muscle!"

speedminded
08-12-2007, 02:39 AM
damn! thanks guys

well heres what happened!

bought everything from crower; pistons, rods, crank, cams, cam gears, valves, springs, and retainers and installed it all. had timing and valve clearance checked by a shop. everything checked out good. i got to about 250 miles and wanted to start the next/harder step into the break in. so i took it a lil higher into rpms 4k, 5 k... then after 500 miles i wanted to slowly break into VTEC/6k, thats when the power almost exploded! its was nice being what all i have done to it! all i know is that i checked the oil and it had gold in it. bearings were not gone but worn a bit. had that slight knock sound going on so i freaked out, pulled the motor and bought a b20 for daily commute. i mean i could still be driving it with a slight knock that would bother me to death! i plan to have a shop remove and reinstall the parts and new bearings and maybe sleeve the block too. just want to know what to do since some ppl's advice isn't to good. too many mechanics i've asked make fun of my situation, "awe, them damn Jap-Oh-Knees cars always so hard to maintain, get you some muscle!"When was the oil changed during this "break-in"? Synthetic oil?