PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Car

Mchnhead2k5
08-10-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm thinking about lowering my car but when would I need an alignment to correct the camber settings? Right after the installation or wait a week or so to let the springs settle?

Thanks.

speedminded
08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm thinking about lowering my car but when would I need an alignment to correct the camber settings? Right after the installation or wait a week or so to let the springs settle?

Thanks.I'd do it sometime that week, it will continue to settle some but the majority of the differances is the initial install and first couple week or so...

JDM onlyy
08-10-2007, 01:23 PM
I'd do it sometime that week, it will continue to settle some but the majority of the differances is the initial install and first couple week or so...

Yeah, I'd do it sometime that week. Just give it a few days then go get the alignment and you should be good. If it does settle more then it wouldn't be much maybe 1/32's or 2/32's off? Not quite sure but just get the alignment that week. Lol :goodjob:

Mchnhead2k5
08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks!!

madking411
08-10-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm glad you made this thread, Mchnhead, b/c im preparing to get my car lowered as well....i didnt even think about having to get things re-adjusted under there, or havin a ''break-in'' period....

SLo_MKIII
08-10-2007, 04:49 PM
i didnt know either till i slammed mine and now it shoots to the left side of the road everytime i let the steering wheel go haha

ryanh300
08-10-2007, 04:53 PM
i didnt know either till i slammed mine and now it shoots to the left side of the road everytime i let the steering wheel go haha
haha my car does exactly the same thing, pulls to the left like a motherfucker whenever you let the wheel go. but, i ordered a camber kit that should be in this week that is gonna fix that without me having to go get an alignment cause i dont trust other people aligning my wheels too haha.

madking411
08-10-2007, 04:56 PM
cause i dont trust other people aligning my wheels too haha.

wait, why not?

Mchnhead2k5
08-10-2007, 07:03 PM
camber won't make you pull left/right, it's the Toe In/Out that will make you pull. Negative camber will just wear out the inside part of the tire quickly.

speedminded
08-10-2007, 08:36 PM
haha my car does exactly the same thing, pulls to the left like a motherfucker whenever you let the wheel go. but, i ordered a camber kit that should be in this week that is gonna fix that without me having to go get an alignment cause i dont trust other people aligning my wheels too haha.How to you propose on aligning it yourself?

KPowerEP3
08-10-2007, 08:41 PM
camber won't make you pull left/right, it's the Toe In/Out that will make you pull. Negative camber will just wear out the inside part of the tire quickly.

toe will eat tires up even worse, though.

ubers2k
08-10-2007, 08:44 PM
How to you propose on aligning it yourself?

that's what I was wondering myself.

Mchnhead2k5
08-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Aligning yourself: 4 jackstands, a Haynes/Chilton manual, a long piece of STRAIGHT wood or pipe and a person who knows what they're doing.

speedminded
08-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Aligning yourself: 4 jackstands, a Haynes/Chilton manual, a long piece of STRAIGHT wood or pipe and a person who knows what they're doing.pipe is too flexible and wood isn't ever gonna be straight enough.

Try a string ;) Got a setup at the shop for alignments at the track, 1/2" EMT the width of the car plus an extra 6" or so on each side that mounts to the screw holes for the license plate...tie the string to the front and rear as close to the wheels as possible and using a metal ruler measure the distance from the string to the front and rear of each wheel. Can get within 1/64" on the toe.

Mchnhead2k5
08-12-2007, 12:36 AM
my friend uses a metal pipe he has kept for this reason of aligning.

TRDwasiq
08-12-2007, 12:45 AM
lowerin ur corolla?? need any help let me knw

ash7
08-12-2007, 01:07 AM
pipe is too flexible and wood isn't ever gonna be straight enough.

Try a string ;) Got a setup at the shop for alignments at the track, 1/2" EMT the width of the car plus an extra 6" or so on each side that mounts to the screw holes for the license plate...tie the string to the front and rear as close to the wheels as possible and using a metal ruler measure the distance from the string to the front and rear of each wheel. Can get within 1/64" on the toe.

:) i use a mic with my string

DIY alignments FTMFW

-jonathan