PDA

View Full Version : Directv or Dish Network

chrisdavis
08-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Im looking to switch from cable to satellite. Is one more reliable than the other, and which has the better customer service.

gtikid
08-10-2007, 11:46 AM
It's all the same shit. Just find one that has the most channels that you actually watch for the cheaper price. I have Dish with the spanish package so I can watch my Colombian soccer games and my parents can watch their soap operas and their news :D

Rican219
08-10-2007, 11:48 AM
It's all the same shit. Just find one that has the most channels that you actually watch for the cheaper price. I have Dish with the spanish package so I can watch my Colombian soccer games and my parents can watch their soap operas and their news :D

You should go back there and watch it. :2up:

gtikid
08-10-2007, 11:53 AM
You should go back there and watch it. :2up:

:lmfao: For what?! That shit used to be illegal back in the day! We used to bring a dish and a receiver from Colombia and have someone here to program it and pick up all the Colombian channels :lmfao: I guess these satellite companies finally realized they were losing too much money in this so they made their own packages afterwards :D

Don't hate b/c they don't have a PR Package with a cooking channel that shows how to make the perfect arroz, or should I say ALOZ, con gandules :lmfao:

Rican219
08-10-2007, 11:55 AM
:lmfao: For what?! That shit used to be illegal back in the day! We used to bring a dish and a receiver from Colombia and have someone here to program it and pick up all the Colombian channels :lmfao: I guess these satellite companies finally realized they were losing too much money in this so they made their own packages afterwards :D

Don't hate b/c they don't have a PR Package with a cooking channel that shows how to make the perfect arroz, or should I say ALOZ, con gandules :lmfao:

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: +1 Come check out my new brotha not in that apartment anymore

gtikid
08-10-2007, 11:58 AM
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: +1 Come check out my new brotha not in that apartment anymore

We gonna watch TV Colombia or what? :D

amberghini
08-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I prefer Dish, and have always had good customer service.

chrisdavis
08-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Dish Network FTW!!! They just offered me a huge deal 2 DVRs 1 extra box 200 channels, no activation fee, no installation fee, and a 50 dollar credit. Service is going to be 45 dollars a month. :D

Ruiner
08-10-2007, 01:43 PM
The choice between Dish and Direct comes down to this:

Do you want more HD channels or do you want the NFL Season Pass?

If you want more (much more) HD channels, get Dish.

If you want NFL Season Pass and other sports packages, get Direct.

I have an HDTV, so of course I took Dish over Direct. Right now, I get almost 40HD channels. :)

BB6dohcvtec
08-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Dish is the shit

ep9716
08-10-2007, 03:13 PM
I Have Had EVERYTHING!!!!.......Dish Network Directv....Comcast.....Im Switching BACK To Comcast On Monday LOL! Cuz Bellsouth Sucks..

RISKYB
08-10-2007, 03:55 PM
i have had both and direct tv seems to be the better,more reliable and better customer service, pricing is about the same for either

Driftk1d350z
08-10-2007, 03:59 PM
direct TV because the have sports packs...but i have dish right now and i watch sports in hi-def

i refuse to go back to anything lower than that while watching sports

MrsDirtyOc™
08-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Im looking to switch from cable to satellite. Is one more reliable than the other, and which has the better customer service.

neither one.....comcast FTW!!!!

Evil Goat
08-10-2007, 08:48 PM
i've worked for dish coming up on 2 years now, installation, quality control, area management, etc, reliability comes down to the competence of the installer, the better your dish is tuned in the more unlikely it is for it to go out during rain storms...reliability when tuned exactly alike is identical between dish and direct

knowing this keep in mind that direct tv does not employee any direct install/service techs, while dish network has continued the trend of getting rid of contractors and going with direct highly trained inhouse techs, we have close to 8k install techs in the u.s. currently and are opening new service hubs at a rate of about one every 6 months, currently in ga (and i dont know much about n. ga, i know theres some up there) but there are hubs in macon, forest park, savannah, albany, and columbus.

techs are held to a much higher standard than contractors and 1 out of every 3 jobs will be looked at by quality control guys....

pricing is relatively the same, as was said before direct has nfl, dish has mlb and soccer i think, to be honest i dont know, i dont deal w/ package stuff...we do have more hd channels than any other provider in the nation from what i understand (32 plus locals where available), even better for the atlanta folks as you would get some of your locals in hd as well

inside tip, right now they are giving the 622 recievers away for free (2 room hd dvr reciever, 200 hours of standard def recording, 30 hours of hd recording....personally im holding out for the new reciever set to come out early next year w/ 300/80 hours of recording time)

dont be fooled by that direct marketing gimmick where they say they will have 150 hd channels soon.....listen to the commercial carefully, it says they will have the capability to have 150hd channels (which dish has had for several years), bear in mine there arent 150 channels available now, nor in probably 2-3 years time (or more) that will be avail in hd

direct is a step, or two, behind in technology, they still require one box per room, horrid gaudy switches mounted to your house, and two seperate dishes, while dish has dual tuners (one box that controls 2 rooms, while still function as 2 seperate boxes)...on a 4 room our reciever setup alone would save you $10/mo over direct, lnb's with built in switches, and one dish solutions so you dont have dishes all over your house

personally, work aside, ive had cox cable (the #1 cable carrier in the u.s.), and ive had dish and direct both, i will continue to keep dish now that i see what the inside is like....direct is a #'s based company, while dish is a quality based company, and it shows, direct has only gaines approx 1 million new customers in the last 2 years, dish has gained nearly 4 times that, and by next year, or early 2009 they are projecting to pass direct in customer base and loyalty

can you tell i've been to some management classes?

DemonEyez
08-10-2007, 09:24 PM
yeah dish does have a much better over all programming package as well as the better box. But unfortuantely the box isnt everything. We've had dish and direct tv here and non hd and hd direct tv's picture looks clearer.

Altho i know dish network is working on their slight issues, form talking to the dish rep almost every week. They are working really hard on their technology. Their attempting she stated to go to a 1080p broadcast over the next 5 years.

But the biggest problem heh no nfl package.. sigh.

ironchef
08-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Dish network ftw. Only thing I miss with comcast that I don't have with dish is ondemand :(.

chrisdavis
08-11-2007, 12:42 AM
neither one.....comcast FTW!!!!

Im ditching Comcast TV and phone. Ever since I stepped up from basic cable to the digital service it has not been right. They ran all new cable from the street and through my house, and Ive been through 6 Digital and DVR boxes. The phone service is mediocre at best, my Vonage service was far superior, and cheaper too. Im keeping the internet, it runs damn near perfect

Dish network ftw. Only thing I miss with comcast that I don't have with dish is ondemand :(.

Your not missing a whole lot with on demand anymore, they show commercials every few minutes on damn near everything except movies

i've worked for dish coming up on 2 years now, installation, quality control, area management, etc, reliability comes down to the competence of the installer, the better your dish is tuned in the more unlikely it is for it to go out during rain storms...reliability when tuned exactly alike is identical between dish and direct

knowing this keep in mind that direct tv does not employee any direct install/service techs, while dish network has continued the trend of getting rid of contractors and going with direct highly trained inhouse techs, we have close to 8k install techs in the u.s. currently and are opening new service hubs at a rate of about one every 6 months, currently in ga (and i dont know much about n. ga, i know theres some up there) but there are hubs in macon, forest park, savannah, albany, and columbus.

techs are held to a much higher standard than contractors and 1 out of every 3 jobs will be looked at by quality control guys....

pricing is relatively the same, as was said before direct has nfl, dish has mlb and soccer i think, to be honest i dont know, i dont deal w/ package stuff...we do have more hd channels than any other provider in the nation from what i understand (32 plus locals where available), even better for the atlanta folks as you would get some of your locals in hd as well

inside tip, right now they are giving the 622 recievers away for free (2 room hd dvr reciever, 200 hours of standard def recording, 30 hours of hd recording....personally im holding out for the new reciever set to come out early next year w/ 300/80 hours of recording time)

dont be fooled by that direct marketing gimmick where they say they will have 150 hd channels soon.....listen to the commercial carefully, it says they will have the capability to have 150hd channels (which dish has had for several years), bear in mine there arent 150 channels available now, nor in probably 2-3 years time (or more) that will be avail in hd

direct is a step, or two, behind in technology, they still require one box per room, horrid gaudy switches mounted to your house, and two seperate dishes, while dish has dual tuners (one box that controls 2 rooms, while still function as 2 seperate boxes)...on a 4 room our reciever setup alone would save you $10/mo over direct, lnb's with built in switches, and one dish solutions so you dont have dishes all over your house

personally, work aside, ive had cox cable (the #1 cable carrier in the u.s.), and ive had dish and direct both, i will continue to keep dish now that i see what the inside is like....direct is a #'s based company, while dish is a quality based company, and it shows, direct has only gaines approx 1 million new customers in the last 2 years, dish has gained nearly 4 times that, and by next year, or early 2009 they are projecting to pass direct in customer base and loyalty

can you tell i've been to some management classes?

I chose Dish Network. I got a 2 room DVR and an extra box for my sons room with the America's top 200 package. They will be here on Thursday to do the install. I dont have an HDTV yet so the guy didnt even pitch it.