PDA

View Full Version : Misc Help Please: Burn Treatment

VooDooXII
08-09-2007, 09:42 PM
My mom burned her arm while reaching over a kettle with boiling water. It's a second degree burn that's about the size of a 50 Cent coin. It's blistered something awful...my mom's just wondering if it's safe to break the skin over the blister. This happened on Sunday, and we've been covering the area with these gel pads made for burns, but there's still that issue of the blistered skin.

Basically, is it safe to break the blistered skin, do we wait a little longer before trying anything like that, or will it just die off? I'm thinking the blistered skin is just going to die off...so I'm worried about a possible infection.

I Googled it, but all I found was immediate treatment for stuff like that.

Any help?

TheGrillMan
08-09-2007, 09:49 PM
best thing for any burn is as soon as you do it put some mustard or a slice of tomato on it the acid's in them will take the heat out

dont put it under cold water tho youll juyst make the blister worse

VooDooXII
08-09-2007, 09:55 PM
best thing for any burn is as soon as you do it put some mustard or a slice of tomato on it the acid's in them will take the heat out

dont put it under cold water tho youll juyst make the blister worse

Yea, I've heard that one before. Good thing I'm dyslexic... :screwy:

Seriously though...

bafbrian
08-09-2007, 09:59 PM
DO NOT, I SAY AGAIN DO NOT BREAK THE BLISTER!!!

Breaking the blister in the case of severe burn can cause serious infection, not to mention deform the skin. Go to a medical professional and have them give her something to reduce the blister.

I got burned by an iron when I was young and popped the blisters and I still have the marks to this day and this was nearly 18 yrs ago.

Kourt
08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
If you break the skin it is more likely to get infected it seems like, I always take the skin off my blisters and stuff but thats cause I just pick at it and dont leave it alone. I'd say leave the skin alone and let it get some air. If it hurts really bad I'd hit up the doctor though.

VooDooXII
08-09-2007, 10:05 PM
The pain is gone, says my mom...it's just frustrating for her to have this bubble of skin flapping around.

So basically, just leave it alone and ask a doctor?

Thanks a lot!

Kourt
08-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah, as with anything the more you mess with it the more it will scar, if you leaved it exposed to air with no band aid or anything it will dry up and heal faster. Then you can put stuff on it for scars if shes worried about that. If covering it up will help her leave the skin on longer(I.E. not picking at it or rubbing it on anything) then I would cover it up anyway, it should shrink down in about 6-7 days.

bafbrian
08-09-2007, 10:10 PM
The pain is gone, says my mom...it's just frustrating for her to have this bubble of skin flapping around.

So basically, just leave it alone and ask a doctor?

Thanks a lot!

As far putting stuff on it goes, the only that I would recommend for this is Second Skin. It's a piece of gel that cools and soothes the skin while acting as a barrier, just like skin. Might have to go to a few place to get it but, it is worth it.

Go to a hospital and have them give her something to shrink down the blister.

VooDooXII
08-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Second Skin! That's the stuff I've got. :goodjob:

bafbrian
08-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Second Skin! That's the stuff I've got. :goodjob:

That is good. You are on the right track. Now all you gotta do is get a doctor to check it out.

i<3grnbeast
08-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Try this product too. Excellent for healing burns/cuts and reducing scars, stretch marks, etc. http://www.alphaherbs.com/ and look at the B F & C Ointment. Works wonders.

VooDooXII
08-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Haha, free plug?

I think I've got it from here. I was just curious on what to do with the blistered skin. Time to go to our doctor!

Thanks again.

Crazy Asian
08-10-2007, 01:38 AM
ouch. just get ointment and treat the bandage.