PDA

View Full Version : Misc Expert Help Needed -- Gamers Come Plz!!

vTeC
07-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Alright, let's get to business. I play CS-Source and have been playing CS for about 5 years. Earlier this week, I started seeing a lot of what I thought was lag, so I checked my rates, checked my loss, fps, and choke, but everything was great. Wasn't a ping spike, as my ping was holding steady, so I assumed the server just sucked. I then went to one server after another, and the same outcome. My in and out data rates are fine, even on the 33tickrate servers. After reinstalling CS-Source to no avail, I assumed it was the comp, and that maybe drivers were messed up..I reinstalled video drivers to have only the same problem, with many diff versions of the drivers. I reformatted yesterday, and got everything running good again, but am having the same problem. I have checked my CPU and Video temperatures, and they are looking great, so I am getting a tad bit angry here.

Basically, what is happening, is that when there is any action (sometimes just me running) it seems like my fps drop to like 10, yet in the graphs they hold steady. It definately just looks like a shitty video card to me, yet i know it can easily handle the feat of playing CSS. Since the temp is ok, I assume the fan and heatsink are properly in place (fan is working fine). I mean the thermal paste I having physically checked, but I see no need. I have also ran ran AquaMark3 and PCMark05 with average scores, as well as the CSS framerate test (160 fps).

Any help someone can give me here is greatly appreciated here, to save me the 60 mile trip to the store I buy my parts. Could it be the power supply?? How could i check the amp/voltage coming out steadily? Just whatever you can think of.

SPECS

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD 64 3500+ (socket 939)
1 gig of corsair DDR 400 shared (xms pro-series)
Geforce 6600gt (pci express)

chrisdavis
07-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Did you overclock your card?

soul
07-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Flash your card to 6800, might help if not you still have a 6800 :)

Spyder
07-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Alright, let's get to business. I play CS-Source and have been playing CS for about 5 years. Earlier this week, I started seeing a lot of what I thought was lag, so I checked my rates, checked my loss, fps, and choke, but everything was great. Wasn't a ping spike, as my ping was holding steady, so I assumed the server just sucked. I then went to one server after another, and the same outcome. My in and out data rates are fine, even on the 33tickrate servers. After reinstalling CS-Source to no avail, I assumed it was the comp, and that maybe drivers were messed up..I reinstalled video drivers to have only the same problem, with many diff versions of the drivers. I reformatted yesterday, and got everything running good again, but am having the same problem. I have checked my CPU and Video temperatures, and they are looking great, so I am getting a tad bit angry here.

Basically, what is happening, is that when there is any action (sometimes just me running) it seems like my fps drop to like 10, yet in the graphs they hold steady. It definately just looks like a shitty video card to me, yet i know it can easily handle the feat of playing CSS. Since the temp is ok, I assume the fan and heatsink are properly in place (fan is working fine). I mean the thermal paste I having physically checked, but I see no need. I have also ran ran AquaMark3 and PCMark05 with average scores, as well as the CSS framerate test (160 fps).

Any help someone can give me here is greatly appreciated here, to save me the 60 mile trip to the store I buy my parts. Could it be the power supply?? How could i check the amp/voltage coming out steadily? Just whatever you can think of.

SPECS

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD 64 3500+ (socket 939)
1 gig of corsair DDR 400 shared (xms pro-series)
Geforce 6600gt (pci express)

did you try different games or software to make sure everything is working properly? i know it sounds odd.. but how about a different monitor?

chrisdavis
07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
did you try different games or software to make sure everything is working properly? i know it sounds odd.. but how about a different monitor?

That or up the refresh rate as high as your monitor can safely handle.

My monitor runs at 1024x768 at 100hz refresh rate

vTeC
07-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Nah, not the monitor. Yesterday I was playing 1.6 and the fps stuck at 5fps for like 30 sec...I think the card is dying :(

I'm very sad.

btw..never oc'd it, and i'm not gonna flash it. It worked fine before, and now it's just sucking all the sudden. There was no driver change or anything, it just started sucking...

5thgcelica
07-16-2005, 02:02 PM
yeah your vid card could be dying randomly..

I see no reason with a setup like that you should experience lag.

chrisdavis
07-16-2005, 05:25 PM
yeah your vid card could be dying randomly..

I see no reason with a setup like that you should experience lag.

Lag would come from the server end not his end.

4dmin
07-16-2005, 06:27 PM
just try a new card and see if that works or just use your onboard if avail if that worx than its the card :simple: ;)

vTeC
07-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Lag would come from the server end not his end.

Lag = video lag, not network lag.

chrisdavis
07-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Lag = video lag, not network lag.

oops my bad :headslap:

svbproductions
07-18-2005, 10:29 PM
I had the same prob with my 6800ultra. I changed the power supply to the new thermaltake 680w and it fixed the prob. What power supply are you running? OS? Was there any new patches for the game? You have a great set up and should not have these probs.

lowjack
07-19-2005, 11:36 AM
I had the same prob with my 6800ultra. I changed the power supply to the new thermaltake 680w and it fixed the prob. What power supply are you running? OS? Was there any new patches for the game? You have a great set up and should not have these probs.

Yup I had to do the same thing. The powersupply in the PC was too underpowered for the vid card. 6800 Ultra 256mb. have to have a 500 or higher if I remember right.

vTeC
07-19-2005, 09:52 PM
I have narrowed it down to the power supply or the card itself. Have run memtest and cpu burn and both ran good. The power supply is an Aspire 32A, so unless it's going bad, I know it's fine for my setup, not to mention it has been running great for about 4 months now.

svbproductions
07-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Most likely the PS.

TooLow4u
07-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Well seeing that css runs on steam n steam is prone to auto update I would suggest 2 see if there were ne updates done that causes issues with ur vid card n if so there will be patches to fix that.....also 2 c if its ur vidcard go into css options and put all vid opts on lowest and c how it runs, but b4 u do that first make sure cpu usage is 0 by turning of all background running programs like antivirus n stuff then just atl ctrl del and check usage (run it with cpu usage at 0 with reg vid opts and then lowest if it still runs the same) if that doesn't work, open the in game console and type MAXfps=100 n c how it runs....and if it still runs same dl prime (I think there's a free dl there sum where on da net) and run it over night if you wake up in morning n ur pc is still on then its a software issue cause if there was ne problems with ur hardeware prime would not run all night....hope that was helpfull let me know if u have ne question at all don't hesitate to ask

DonGori
08-07-2005, 11:01 PM
check all electrical connections even though i dont think the 6600 has a power connector. Also does it mess up in other games too?