PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injectors not working !!!!!!

noridetoolow
08-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Ok, did a simple motor swap in my 92 DA. Pulled the 5 speed motor and replaced it with a motor from a DA with an auto tranny ( YES I KEPT MY 5 SPD TRANNY!!! LOL ) ...... anyway....there are a couple of extra plugs left on the engine harness that don't go to anything but we were not worried about it much....except now, the injectors will not fire :cry: ....getting fuel to the fuel rail, spark, everything....matter of fact, spray starter fluid in the TB and it will run. Anyone swapped an originally auto motor into a 5 speed car and have this issue? I am thinking I am just going to have to swap the harness from my old engine to the new one.....not looking forward to that now that the motor is in the car. Any thought? Thanks all

blackshine007
08-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Did you confirm the injectors working by hooking up a noid light? Make sure all of your grounds are connected. I'd recheck for more connectors lying around. Make sure your disty connectors are hooked up properly. And last, but not least, check your fuses.

noridetoolow
08-09-2007, 08:46 AM
yeah...checked the fuses, tried a backup main relay that we had. Not sure what a noid light is but we pulled an injector out and tried starting the car, not a drop of fuel came out. When we first dropped the motor in the injectors seemed to be leaking ( how we know fuel is getting to the fuel rail ) so we pulled them all ( since they would not tighten any more ) and took the injectors off of my old motor which if nothing else we know work fine ( car was driving when I pulled the motor this past Saturday ). I guess I can go back over and recheck the electrical connections and grounds.....hmmm...that is a good point....main engine ground to the core support has not been hooked up yet......

sullen
08-09-2007, 08:51 AM
when you swapped the motors, you made sure to swap the flywheels right? just a wandering thought. and make sure the inkector grounds are hooked up also. should be to the firewall or somewhere close. my sr didnt start because of the injector ground. plugged it up, and it went away fine.

noridetoolow
08-09-2007, 09:09 AM
new Fidanza 7.5 pound flywheel and Exedy clutch\pressure plate. ...I need to check the grounds again...for one...I know for a fact that the ground from the front of the motor to the core support has not been hooked up.

blackshine007
08-09-2007, 07:00 PM
yeah...checked the fuses, tried a backup main relay that we had. Not sure what a noid light is but we pulled an injector out and tried starting the car, not a drop of fuel came out. When we first dropped the motor in the injectors seemed to be leaking ( how we know fuel is getting to the fuel rail ) so we pulled them all ( since they would not tighten any more ) and took the injectors off of my old motor which if nothing else we know work fine ( car was driving when I pulled the motor this past Saturday ). I guess I can go back over and recheck the electrical connections and grounds.....hmmm...that is a good point....main engine ground to the core support has not been hooked up yet......
A noid light is basicly a test light for the fuel injector harness. It basicly flashes every time the computer sends a pulse to the injectors. If it flashes when you hook it up, your injectors are plugged. If it doesn't flash, there's a bad relay, blown fuse or burnt up injector driver in the ECU.

ash7
08-10-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm glad you got it runnin tonight maine. :) Lunch tomm fo sho my neezy

-jonathan

noridetoolow
08-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks all for your comments....it WAS the ground going to the core support...ima doofus! Anyway...it does crank now...just revs real high like the throttle is stuck or something ( and its not ).....so....when I get back in town on Sunday night I'll have to pick at it some more and see whats up

I will run this by yall....the #4 cyl injector is shooting gas like a big dawg! Its coming from the seal between the fuel rail and the upper part of the injector. I have tried 2 different injectors, different lower and upper seals and even swapped the fuel rail...if I adjust the seating of the injector by hand I can get it to stop.....but obviously that is not sufficient....you twist it one way or the other just a hair and it starts leaking again....any thoughts? Ima try new seals but it just seems odd that everything I have tried has failed.

noridetoolow
08-10-2007, 08:02 AM
I'm glad you got it runnin tonight maine. :) Lunch tomm fo sho my neezy

-jonathan

yeaahhhhhh.....holla at me

KPowerEP3
08-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks all for your comments....it WAS the ground going to the core support...ima doofus! Anyway...it does crank now...just revs real high like the throttle is stuck or something ( and its not ).....so....when I get back in town on Sunday night I'll have to pick at it some more and see whats up

I will run this by yall....the #4 cyl injector is shooting gas like a big dawg! Its coming from the seal between the fuel rail and the upper part of the injector. I have tried 2 different injectors, different lower and upper seals and even swapped the fuel rail...if I adjust the seating of the injector by hand I can get it to stop.....but obviously that is not sufficient....you twist it one way or the other just a hair and it starts leaking again....any thoughts? Ima try new seals but it just seems odd that everything I have tried has failed.

did the injector 'pop' into the fuel rail all the way? also...definately put a new o-ring on the injector, and make sure the one you use is fuel safe. I made that mistake a while back...it broke down from contact with gas.

About the idle...did you adjust the idle screw and check the tension on the throttle cable to make sure it's not holding the butterfly open a bit?

scttydb411
08-10-2007, 08:26 AM
go get an inj seal kit from napa and before you put the inj into the rail put a little oil on your finger and run it around the seal. twist the inj back and forth into the rail instead of just pushing it strait in. it sounds like you have slightly torn the seal.

noridetoolow
08-13-2007, 10:09 AM
thanks for additional comments, I am gonna try new o-rings this evening and the throttle cable is good but I didnt check the idle screw...you never know, the salvage yard I bought the motor from tested the motor for compression and such, perhaps they messed with the idle screw. Will look at all this this evening...if I am blessed enough for it to be this simple....I might finally have this thing on the road.....I'll let yall know.

noridetoolow
08-14-2007, 08:42 AM
GOT IT FIXED! The fuel leak was simply REALLY BADLY WORN O-rings. A generic pack of fuel injector o-rings from the parts store corrected this. Then there was my high rev problem, 4500 RPM at idle.....looked closer ( at a buddies suggestion ) and my throttle cable was just tight enough to put a slight pressure on the butterfly....it was not easy to notice but it was there. Fixed that and the car idled like a champ. Drove it half the way home when the shifter arm fell off.....another friend FORGOT to install the washer and nut. LOL Anyway.....I'll fix that tonight and start driving this thing and see how it does. So far though, this $400 B18 salvage yard engine seems to be doing GREAT.