PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Eclipse problems

wesolayo
08-09-2007, 04:06 AM
Alright, so I was left with a Misubishi eclipse to put a transmission in for a buddy of mine while he goes out of town.

He bought the car with a transmission out of it, and a new one awaiting the install, he never heard the car run, but bought it for what the shell was worth, so its not a big deal. But, after fucking with it a little tonight, I can not get the tranny to line up for me. Itll get there, and then be way crooked, and not want to go anywhere, and I could start 2 or three of the bellhousing bolts on it, just like 2 threads so it wouldnt fall, and tried to shimmy it, and still no avail.

Now I've done a few tranmission swaps in Hondas and Acuras, and never had that problem, its always pretty much line up the input shaft to the clutch, slide in, reassemble, and no problems. But the old transmission was in the back of the car, and I pulled it out just to make sure the new one was the same transmission. And I noticed that there was significant wear on the old one, around where the flywheel is. It was like the flywheel had been way off center, and had wore about an 1/8th of an inch groove into the bellhousing.

Now, I'm no pro mechanic by any means, but of all the transmissions I've pulled, helped pull, or put back in, I've never seen anything like that.

Anyone have any ideas as to what would cause that. I'm not sure of the year of the eclipse, but its the boxy body one, with the 2.0. And I've heard of Eclipses crankwalking and whatnot like that, and I guess my question, is could that be what cause it? That the crankwalked back, and then it dropped, wore the tranny out, and then bam, the guy who had it before though the tranmission was shot/starter locked down/who the fuck knows, pulled it, and said "Well fuck, I'll sell this bitch to some idiot"

Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated, because I really dont want to put this thing back together, and it not run/knock/be all to hell.

koi
08-09-2007, 06:47 PM
There was a 2.0 N/t and Turbo in the 1g and only a turbo 2.0 in the 2g. I assume we are talking about the 1g. The 1g shouldn't crank walk and if it does. It would be like 1 in 1,000,000,0000.

Can you take some pics and post them up? That way we can get a better idea of what your talking about?