PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket advice?

Tinton
08-08-2007, 04:52 PM
I have to go to court in a week for a speeding ticket and reckless driving I got a couple months ago.

Any advice? Besides getting a lawyer, unless its very serious I don't want to do that. I'd be fine with paying the fine and moving on but I just want some feedback first on whether or not they'll even let me do that.

I was clocked going 76 mph in a 45 mph zone, on Barrett Pkwy. Besides just getting that I also got a ticket for reckless driving, I think that's automatically tacked on when you're going 25+ mph over the speed limit, I was going 31 mph over.

From what I've read on Georgia laws regarding this, if I was under 21 it'd be license suspension (anything 25+ over for someone under 21 is a suspension). I'm 21 years old, so from what I've read it goes by the point system? For my offenses it should be 8 points total for the speeding and reckless driving, and they don't suspend licenses unless you accumulate 15 points or more. I also had a speeding ticket over 2 years ago for going 21 mph over, but according to Georgia law it seems that those points expired?

Is there still a chance they'll take my license or what? Also, any chance I could get it reduced to 24 mph over?

d993s
08-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Call Ron.........what everyone tells me.

xLSTONEx
08-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Why the hell were you doing 76 on Barret? Are you fucking dumb. And why do all these people think that IA is some sort of Lawyer forum.

GO CALL A FUCKING LAWYER!

KPowerEP3
08-08-2007, 04:59 PM
my advice:

chalk it up as a learning experience no matter what, and learn to look at your speedo occasionally

Tinton
08-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Why the hell were you doing 76 on Barret? Are you fucking dumb. And why do all these people think that IA is some sort of Lawyer forum.

GO CALL A FUCKING LAWYER!

I was racing? :rolleyes:

Nah, I wasn't. And it wasn't on the crowded part of Barrett, it was out west, beyond Cobb Pkwy, where its all open and shit. I was late to class at KSU, to turn in a paper that was like 40% of my grade. Getting the ticket of course made me later, but she took it when she saw my tickets.

Deaf Pimp
08-08-2007, 05:15 PM
The best thing you can do is talk to a solicitor and see what they can do. Your best bet is to plead no-lo if you have not used it yet. It's unfortunate, but unless you have a lawyer you will probably get the worst of it.

Edit: I just saw your ticket about 2 years ago. Get a lawyer... or they will fine you the max and won't take you lightly. If you had a clean record, you may be able to get away with a light fine.

Tinton
08-08-2007, 05:17 PM
The best thing you can do is talk to a solicitor and see what they can do. Your best bet is to plead no-lo if you have not used it yet. It's unfortunate, but unless you have a lawyer you will probably get the worst of it. What is your driving record like? Is it clean?

My question is, what IS the worst of it? License suspension? Or will it just be the $400 or so fine?

Nah my record isn't clean, I had a ticket back in April 2005, I think those points have gone away by now though.

Deaf Pimp
08-08-2007, 05:19 PM
My question is, what IS the worst of it? License suspension? Or will it just be the $400 or so fine?

Nah my record isn't clean, I had a ticket back in April 2005, I think those points have gone away by now though.

I thought your points stayed with you for at least 5 years? I can't remember.

In any case, at the worst they can take your license. Otherwise, you'll get a pretty hefty fine. If you get a lawyer, they may be able to drop your wreckless driving ticket and possibly reduce your mph on the ticket.

Tinton
08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Thing is, a lawyer would probably cost just as much, if not more, than the additional fine I'd get without him right?

I mean, its either pay like $400 and not have a lawyer....or pay like $200 with his help and then have to pay him $500?

Also, my rates barely went up from the last ticket. Maybe like $20 a month more. I've gotten quotes from insurance companies factoring in these tickets and without, and with them its only like $40 a month more.

Deaf Pimp
08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Thing is, a lawyer would probably cost just as much, if not more, than the additional fine I'd get without him right?

I mean, its either pay like $400 and not have a lawyer....or pay like $200 with his help and then have to pay him $500?

Also, my rates barely went up from the last ticket. Maybe like $20 a month more. I've gotten quotes from insurance companies factoring in these tickets and without, and with them its only like $40 a month more.

If you haven't used your no-lo, I would use it. That would keep it off your record and keep the $40 a month hike from happening. Worked for me.

Put it this way, you can pay $700 altogether and possibly get everything reduced so it stays off your record. Or you could pay a couple grand of insurance premiums over the years until it does drop off your record.

ep9716
08-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Dont Speed Anymore..................

Deaf Pimp
08-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Dont Speed Anymore..................

And you don't? :rolleyes:

tippatone
08-08-2007, 05:25 PM
oh man dude, you might be screwed, like they said use the no-lo if its on option

Tinton
08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
I haven't used the no-lo yet. But, IIRC that is used to bring it down under 15 so that it won't get on my record? Would they do that, reducing from 31 over to like 14 or 15 over?

And how could they take my license? I've been reading up on the laws and it doesn't say anything about them being able to take my license for this.

ep9716
08-08-2007, 05:29 PM
And you don't? :rolleyes:

No I Follow The Law......Thats Why I Havent Post A Thread Called..."Speeding Ticket Advice"

Tinton
08-08-2007, 05:30 PM
No I Follow The Law......Thats Why I Havent Post A Thread Called..."Speeding Ticket Advice"

I call bullshit. You mean to say that you NEVER break the speed limit? It doesn't matter if they've caught you or not, if you speed they will eventually get you. And basically, unless you're like 80 years old, you speed.

ep9716
08-08-2007, 05:33 PM
No..........Because Its The Law....So What Your Saying Its Okay To Speed If You Dont Get Caught....Maybe I Done Like 10 MPH Over But Nothing Too Bad.

tippatone
08-08-2007, 05:33 PM
real talk what is the speed limit 55 mph and 65 further up 85, if you go 55-65 people will ride your damn bumper so close it will feel like you are sitting on their hood instead of your seat
I call bullshit. You mean to say that you NEVER break the speed limit? It doesn't matter if they've caught you or not, if you speed they will eventually get you. And basically, unless you're like 80 years old, you speed.

KPowerEP3
08-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I haven't used the no-lo yet. But, IIRC that is used to bring it down under 15 so that it won't get on my record? Would they do that, reducing from 31 over to like 14 or 15 over?

Well, that's the thing. The judge doesnt HAVE to accept you plea of Nolo Contendre...and if you have similar offenses within the last 7 years, because that's the length your record goes back...then they just may not.

tippatone
08-08-2007, 05:36 PM
be prepared the shellout some heavy bread i cant say about the street because they never caught me speeding on the street, but i got busted doing 80 in a 55 on 285 and they tried to bang me for 410 bucks, but it got dismissed

Tinton
08-08-2007, 05:39 PM
No..........Because Its The Law....So What Your Saying Its Okay To Speed If You Dont Get Caught....Maybe I Done Like 10 MPH Over But Nothing Too Bad.

Nah I'm not saying that, you just said that you never speed. Apparently to you going 10 over isn't "too bad" and you've done it before. It the eyes of the law going 10 over still isn't okay.

HIgH_ScHoOL
08-08-2007, 05:42 PM
The WORST that can happen is they take your license and put you on probation... odds are that WONT happen.

I would suggest taking a driving education class like taggarts driving school, there is one on canton hwy. Then get a rec letter from someone that has some seniority.

I had a lawyer which I HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest, and we requested to have a trial by jury, which takes a good bit of time to get scheduled. By the time it does IF it does get called you might have a chance of the officer not showing up...

My 2cents... GET A LAWYER

PS Dont count on no lo I am almost certain you can not plead it to something this severe. The solicitor told my lawyer I couldnt because it was more then 24 over the limit.

Leadfoot_mf
08-08-2007, 06:04 PM
do a search this has been answered every month. since i have been on ia. if i see u 2nite remind me to tell u what to do.

Tinton
08-08-2007, 06:06 PM
do a search this has been answered every month. since i have been on ia. if i see u 2nite remind me to tell u what to do.

I won't be at Highlands or Sidelines tonight, I have to work until 10. I'm at work right now typing this....:(

Leadfoot_mf
08-08-2007, 06:22 PM
well then i guess your fucked

ilovemyhonda.
08-08-2007, 06:34 PM
hmm i was going 75 in a 45 and the cop pulled me over and let me go without anything

BlkCD5
08-08-2007, 06:38 PM
I wonder why :thinking:

ilovemyhonda.
08-08-2007, 06:39 PM
shhhh ;)

BlkCD5
08-08-2007, 06:42 PM
oops :o

Z32redondo
08-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Im in the same boat as you. Except mine is 87 in a 45 (ya I know it was dumb). Officer lowered it to 60 in a 45 but still point of this post is. You should try taking defensive driving. That can lower points off a ticket and also show the judge that you know what you did was wrong and are learning from it.

Shawna
08-09-2007, 08:05 AM
dude how many times are yougoing to whine about this....you were doing 30 over on barrett pkwy at 5pm you deserved to be pulled over. bend over and take it like a man and then after they are done with you please go crash your fieros off of cliff

BlkCD5
08-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by BlackSiChic
dude how many times are yougoing to whine about this....you were doing 30 over on barrett pkwy at 5pm you deserved to be pulled over. bend over and take it like a man and then after they are done with you please go crash your fieros off of cliff

fiesty j/k :D. On the other hand, my first ticket was much worse than yours. I knew even with a lawyer present, I still would of gotten fucked big time. So, i just accepted the sentence, which was a suspended license for a year. Learn from it and prepare, so it doesn't happen again i.e(radar detectors and granny drivin) in those areas.

SLOWLYbtngU
08-09-2007, 02:31 PM
So did he pay the ticket or is he still whinning? I got one a couple of fridays ago 85 in a 55 at 11pm going south on 85. I speed, I know it. I will happily pay my ticket and get the fuck over it.

rizzler
08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
hm.. i guess u can maybe nolo the speeding ticket and get the fine lowered but i duno if they lower points... something to do more research on and for the future... jus get a radar detector , my friend jus gota passport 9500i and that thing is awsome.
jus my 2 cents

SLOWLYbtngU
08-09-2007, 02:39 PM
hm.. i guess u can maybe nolo the speeding ticket and get the fine lowered but i duno if they lower points... something to do more research on and for the future... jus get a radar detector , my friend jus gota passport 9500i and that thing is awsome.
jus my 2 cents
What if they use laser?

The cop that clocked me was using radar... I am not used to that anymore.

rizzler
08-10-2007, 02:30 AM
What if they use laser?

The cop that clocked me was using radar... I am not used to that anymore.

the passport 9500i is a laser and a radar detector... sorry i forgot to mention the laser part